Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cwise2222
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Phone signal issue in my apt

    Hello everyone I just purchased my LG g2 last night and so far I'm very happy with it. I've got spark, great data speeds, and a snappy device. However there is one complaint I have and I'm wondering if there is anything I can try to do to fix it.

    In my apt I am getting very poor cell reception. One to two bars at best. When I go to signal strength is consistently lists at - 100 dbm or worse. My previous phone was a galaxy s2 also with sprint. I never had signal issues with it. Always 4 or 5 bars. Oh and one other thing! This is the weirdest part... The signal bars go up when I'm on a phone call, but I've already missed a couple of texts.

    What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there is a setting or something I can change to try to improve this? I have ready updated prl and profile and that gave me the amazing data connection, but cell connection is still bad.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Hello everyone I just purchased my LG g2 last night and so far I'm very happy with it. I've got spark, great data speeds, and a snappy device. However there is one complaint I have and I'm wondering if there is anything I can try to do to fix it.

    In my apt I am getting very poor cell reception. One to two bars at best. When I go to signal strength is consistently lists at - 100 dbm or worse. My previous phone was a galaxy s2 also with sprint. I never had signal issues with it. Always 4 or 5 bars.

    What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there is a setting or something I can change to try to improve this? I have ready updated prl and profile and that gave me the amazing data connection, but cell connection is still bad.
    In my area, I have to change my phone to cdma only to get good phone signal in my house. Apparently, the tower right by my house wasn't upgraded to lte so if I leave it on lte/ cdma then the phone signal sucks because it hits the lte tower that's far away. Maybe try changing that And see if it helps the phone signal, its a long shot but worth a check.

    Rockin my LG G2
    In your room
    Where time stands still
    Or moves at your will
    Will you let the morning come soon
    Or will you leave me lying here?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by depechemodegurl View Post
    In my area, I have to change my phone to cdma only to get good phone signal in my house. Apparently, the tower right by my house wasn't upgraded to lte so if I leave it on lte/ cdma then the phone signal sucks because it hits the lte tower that's far away. Maybe try changing that And see if it helps the phone signal, its a long shot but worth a check.

    Rockin my LG G2
    So that definitelyfixed it. .. I've just lost my lte connect now... Hmm... So that I don't quite like.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    So that definitelyfixed it. .. I've just lost my lte connect now... Hmm... So that I don't quite like.
    Yeah, it's not a problem for me because I'm on WiFi at home so I don't need lte. But the cool thing about this phone in comparison to Samsung is it doesn't require a reboot every time you change it. My s3 reboot every time I changed it from lte to cdma.

    Rockin my LG G2
    In your room
    Where time stands still
    Or moves at your will
    Will you let the morning come soon
    Or will you leave me lying here?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Try this app hopefully its compatible with your phone. I heard it wasn't compatible with every phone. But it worked on my note 3 and my 2013 droid maxx but i dont have a g2 to try it on. If it does work
    scroll to the bottom click additional info
    then click phone information
    scroll to the middle and on drop down box
    pick "cdma auto (PRL)" <This mode forces it to 3g
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gnalinfo&hl=en
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    Try this app hopefully its compatible with your phone. I heard it wasn't compatible with every phone. But it worked on my note 3 and my 2013 droid maxx but i dont have a g2 to try it on. If it does work
    scroll to the bottom click additional info
    then click phone information
    scroll to the middle and on drop down box
    pick "cdma auto (PRL)" <This mode forces it to 3g
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gnalinfo&hl=en
    App sadly isn't compatible.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    that sucks im not sure if there is any other app that does the same thing
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    try this app "IMPORTANT" when installed click decline on license agreement, then click ok ,then click cancel <Do this because if not it will try to install malware
    this app is like a generic brand of the app i posted above but i was curious if it would work or not on your phone because it worked on mine

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...switchit&hl=en
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    try this app "IMPORTANT" when installed click decline on license agreement, then click ok ,then click cancel <Do this because if not it will try to install malware
    this app is like a generic brand of the app i posted above but i was curious if it would work or not on your phone because it worked on mine

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...switchit&hl=en
    According to the comments, this also does not work with the G2. What are you searching for exactly?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Shoot i forgot to ask if you were on 3g or 4g in your apartment. If you were on 4g the app would have been useful. If it would have worked to lock you to 3g (cdma auto) for better signal. (cdma only) should lock you to 1x so you would have data just very very slow data but definitely better signal then if you were on 4g. Sorry i forgot to ask this first.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    Shoot i forgot to ask if you were on 3g or 4g in your apartment. If you were on 4g the app would have been useful. If it would have worked to lock you to 3g (cdma auto) for better signal. (cdma only) should lock you to 1x so you would have data just very very slow data but definitely better signal then if you were on 4g. Sorry i forgot to ask this first.

    I was on 4g when I had the issue. As depechemodegurl pointed out, I can change from cdma/LTE to just cdma in the network settings. That solves the issue completely with the signal, it just takes away my LTE. That's no so bad because I have wifi, but it's a minor annoyance. Oh well!
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Hello everyone I just purchased my LG g2 last night and so far I'm very happy with it. I've got spark, great data speeds, and a snappy device. However there is one complaint I have and I'm wondering if there is anything I can try to do to fix it.

    In my apt I am getting very poor cell reception. One to two bars at best. When I go to signal strength is consistently lists at - 100 dbm or worse. My previous phone was a galaxy s2 also with sprint. I never had signal issues with it. Always 4 or 5 bars. Oh and one other thing! This is the weirdest part... The signal bars go up when I'm on a phone call, but I've already missed a couple of texts.

    What I'm wondering is, does anyone know if there is a setting or something I can change to try to improve this? I have ready updated prl and profile and that gave me the amazing data connection, but cell connection is still bad.
    The signal goes up when you make phone calls because the radio switches to the CDMA signal to place a call then once you are done with you call the radio latches back onto the LTE signal and shows the strength for that. The G2 will always shows bars for whatever signal your phone is connected to. Some phones do that, some always shows the voice signal strength regardless of what you are connected to. I'm betting your SII was the latter, plus the SII was a WiMax 4G phone so it wasn't picking up a 4GLTE signal. Confusing? You better believe it :P

    I usually only have 1 to 3 bars of LTE but I still get good speed; the only downside being that after the Spark update my phone seems to think that it's not a good enough signal so it will flip me back to 3G, which is always at full strength.
    Thanked by:
    ozz101 
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by cwise2222 View Post
    The signal goes up when you make phone calls because the radio switches to the CDMA signal to place a call then once you are done with you call the radio latches back onto the LTE signal and shows the strength for that. The G2 will always shows bars for whatever signal your phone is connected to. Some phones do that, some always shows the voice signal strength regardless of what you are connected to. I'm betting your SII was the latter, plus the SII was a WiMax 4G phone so it wasn't picking up a 4GLTE signal. Confusing? You better believe it :P

    I usually only have 1 to 3 bars of LTE but I still get good speed; the only downside being that after the Spark update my phone seems to think that it's not a good enough signal so it will flip me back to 3G, which is always at full strength.

    That actually makes perfect sense. So let me ask you this, would being connected to the LTE signal cause any service issues? Like missed calls and/or texts?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    That actually makes perfect sense. So let me ask you this, would being connected to the LTE signal cause any service issues? Like missed calls and/or texts?
    Nope. The CDMA signal is always running in the background, so to speak, so when a call comes in just flips over to the CDMA signal. Now when you make a call there might be a 2 or 3 seconds delay as the radio switches the signal around. Same with texts, though the signal indicator won't flip around when you send or get a texts since it jus takes seconds to send out a text. The only thing different would be a multimedia message. That will come though and send out on the LTE signal.
    Thanked by:
    lizardking13 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by cwise2222 View Post
    Nope. The CDMA signal is always running in the background, so to speak, so when a call comes in just flips over to the CDMA signal. Now when you make a call there might be a 2 or 3 seconds delay as the radio switches the signal around. Same with texts, though the signal indicator won't flip around when you send or get a texts since it jus takes seconds to send out a text. The only thing different would be a multimedia message. That will come though and send out on the LTE signal.
    Hey, that's great. I was worried I would start to miss calls or something.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    A couple of quick questions. First, is it possible that there's an Airave nearby you're connecting to? Second, have you gotten the spark update yet? If the answers are yes and no respectively, check this thread. LG G2 and airave
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Phone signal issue in my apt

    Quote Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
    A couple of quick questions. First, is it possible that there's an Airave nearby you're connecting to? Second, have you gotten the spark update yet? If the answers are yes and no respectively, check this thread. LG G2 and airave
    Well I know that I don't have an airwave...I guess I wouldn't have anyway of knowing if any other apt had one. But I did get the spark update. The data speeds in my house are amazing even though the LTE signal is weak.

Similar Threads

  1. Issues with the GPE?
    By Wildo6882 in forum LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 12:06 AM
  2. Why did I lost my email
    By Alain_A in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  3. Enters random characters when I try to text while connected to my laptop
    By Manaka Piyadasa in forum Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM
  4. Rattle sound on back of phone?
    By ohnoitsryan in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 08:10 PM
  5. someone said the set my phone back to default and lost contacts
    By amarie815 in forum Android 2.3 Gingerbread
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Posting Permissions