Weird screen on/off behavior on Sprint LG G2 due to front facing sensors

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't sure what else to label this thread as...sorry.

So, I was looking at my phone laying in bed this morning, back facing straight flat to the ceiling. I pressed the power button the back and the screen came on, then turned off before I could do anything. My immediate thought was, "oh crap, the phone is going bad and now I have to deal with Sprint's dumb reps telling me they can't reproduce it." Well, I couldn't get it to happen every time, but I was able to make it happen a couple times. Eventually I figured out how to reproduce it.

Put your finger perpendicular over all the sensors at the top and press the power button. The screen turns on and immediately goes off.

Can anyone test this for me and let me know if this is normal behavior? I have no idea what would be causing it - or why, if it is intended.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this is intended behavior. It's designed so that if you have your phone in your pocket (or somewhere else) and the power button is accidentally hit the screen will not turn on. You wouldn't want that to happen.

But I've noticed something with mine that doesn't work right. Try the same thing you did but instead of hitting the power button, press and hold the volume down button. The camera SHOULD NOT come on (for the same reason the power button shouldn't turn the screen on) but mine does. :-( I've noticed several times pulling my phone off my holster that the camera is on. :(

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this is intended behavior. It's designed so that if you have your phone in your pocket (or somewhere else) and the power button is accidentally hit the screen will not turn on. You wouldn't want that to happen.

But I've noticed something with mine that doesn't work right. Try the same thing you did but instead of hitting the power button, press and hold the volume down button. The camera SHOULD NOT come on (for the same reason the power button shouldn't turn the screen on) but mine does. :-( I've noticed several times pulling my phone off my holster that the camera is on. :(

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Same behavior seen with my phone and its quite the battery killer if not identified right away.

Posted via Android Central App

bdion3593

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Same behavior seen with my phone and its quite the battery killer if not identified right away.

Posted via Android Central App

I have the GO LOCKER app from Google play it's a lock screen and with it installed I can hold down volume button and camera will not turn on hope this helps