LG G2: Anyone out there without a screen protector?

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone...just a quick post about screens. I had an a Galaxy Nexus and an S4 before this phone. My experience with those devices has caused me to never want to use a Samsung phone again. The one thing about me and phones is screen protectors. I just don't like using them. So my first question is this...has anyone had any negative effects from NOT using one? Also, with both my Samsung phones...over time there would be these weird "smudges" that happened on the screens after a while. It was like some of the coating was gone from the screen. Hard to explain other than a smudge that wouldn't go away kinda thing. It happened with all my Samsung phones. I had to replace one Gnex and four S4's. What have your experiences been without using a screen protector?

Last edited by a moderator:

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone out there without a screen protector?

Hey everyone...just a quick post about screens. I had an a Galaxy Nexus and an S4 before this phone. My experience with those devices has caused me to never want to use a Samsung phone again. The one thing about me and phones is screen protectors. I just don't like using them. So my first question is this...has anyone had any negative effects from NOT using one? Also, with both my Samsung phones...over time there would be these weird "smudges" that happened on the screens after a while. It was like some of the coating was gone from the screen. Hard to explain other than a smudge that wouldn't go away kinda thing. It happened with all my Samsung phones. I had to replace one Gnex and four S4's. What have your experiences been without using a screen protector?

I used to be an avid zagg user until I got my s3 and switched to the 'clear as glass' type protectors, which I loved way more then zagg. However, before switching to my G2, my s3 protector became gross and so I took it off. I got accustomed to the 'bare' screen. So I haven't had a protector on my screen since getting my G2 and haven't had any issues. I clean it with the cleaner and cloth that I use on my eyeglass lenses and it seems like I have to clean it every other day but it doesn't bother me.

Rockin my LG G2

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I used to be an avid zagg user until I got my s3 and switched to the 'clear as glass' type protectors, which I loved way more then zagg. However, before switching to my G2, my s3 protector became gross and so I took it off. I got accustomed to the 'bare' screen. So I haven't had a protector on my screen since getting my G2 and haven't had any issues. I clean it with the cleaner and cloth that I use on my eyeglass lenses and it seems like I have to clean it every other day but it doesn't bother me.

Rockin my LG G2

Right on. I used Zagg until the water or whatever got into my phone upon installation (at best buy) and made it have unreproducible random reboots for over a year until I accidentally dropped it and had it replaced. Glad to hear you've had a good experience thus far with none on the LGg2.

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I have always used a screen protector, some of my reasons are:
1.Anti - fingerprint screen protectors are made from an lipophobic coating that repels skin oils and helps to provide resistance to the appearance and attachment of fingerprints and smudges, making prints on the screen almost invisible from all angles. With a fingerprint resistant screen protector, cell phone users can keep their screens looking clean and brand new at all times without having to constantly clean them.
2.Screen Protectors Can Repel Dirt, Surfaces, like cell phone screens, that are routinely subjected to touch can commonly become stained with fingerprints, skin oil, sweat, and grime after heavy use. Once the surface is contaminated, the stains can be difficult to remove without the use of harsh cleaning products. By using a dirt-repellent luster screen protector to prevent all kinds of dirt and contaminants, safety issues that obscure and inhibit optical performance can be kept at a minimum.
3.Anti - glare screen protectors cut down on the glare on a cell phone's LCD screen by using a matte finishing coat and diffusion means to reduce the consistency of reflected images, breaking up the reflected light off the screen’s surface. This ultimately allows a cell phone user’s eyes to strain less (and thus become less tired) from having to squint due to the glare coming from their device. Anti-glare protectors also improve screen visibility by cutting reflections and glare from bright light.

Gumelil

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I know exactly what you mean when you say smudge. It looks like you should be able to clean it away but it is always still there. Mine is tiny and i can only notice it in the right angle and light. It's not a scratch, just a "smudge" lol. Anyways when I ordered my otter box commuter case I threw the screen protector on the phone just to be safe. Note 3 if it matters. Is mine an issue where I'll demand a new phone? No. I have it insured, although i am interested to know what causes it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I know exactly what you mean when you say smudge. It looks like you should be able to clean it away but it is always still there. Mine is tiny and i can only notice it in the right angle and light. It's not a scratch, just a "smudge" lol. Anyways when I ordered my otter box commuter case I threw the screen protector on the phone just to be safe. Note 3 if it matters. Is mine an issue where I'll demand a new phone? No. I have it insured, although i am interested to know what causes it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Wow!! Someone who has experienced the same thing! That's crazy. I've scoured forums and only found one post on reddit that comes near what we're talking about. Weird it is on another Samsung device....

Jimmy Gillentine

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, the LG G2 is the first smartphone I've owned. I was told by my fiancee that since I had a smartphone now, it would be best to get a good case and screen protector for it. After a lot of shopping around, I chose the Ballistic SG MAXX model. It comes with a replaceable screen protector with it and it has helped to keep my screen clean and the case itself has saved my phone from a couple of bad drops. A lot of people don't like the SG MAXX because they say that the screen protector makes the screen unresponsive. But I haven't had that problem at all.

Posted via Android Central App

scheumanrj

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I've owned the G2 for about 3 months now. I don't have a screen protector on it (nor a case) and it seems fine to me.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, the LG G2 is the first smartphone I've owned. I was told by my fiancee that since I had a smartphone now, it would be best to get a good case and screen protector for it. After a lot of shopping around, I chose the Ballistic SG MAXX model. It comes with a replaceable screen protector with it and it has helped to keep my screen clean and the case itself has saved my phone from a couple of bad drops. A lot of people don't like the SG MAXX because they say that the screen protector makes the screen unresponsive. But I haven't had that problem at all.

I hear ya man. Especially since it is your first smart phone. I have a very minimal case...the Diztronic I think it is spelled. I expect one day I will drop it, but I am very careful. Regarding the screen protector, I just hate that we get these buttery smooth beautiful screens and mask the feel and look. My experience with Samsung phones screen protector-less have just been so awful. LG is such a better quality product. I just had to ask.

Sbricky

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the otter box commuter case on my G2, and I'm using the stock screen protector that came with it. Easily the best device I've ever had,

Also, I had that same weird smudge problem on my note 2.

Posted via LG G2.

Jimmy Gillentine

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I got the otter box commuter case on my G2, and I'm using the stock screen protector that came with it. Easily the best device I've ever had,

Also, I had that same weird smudge problem on my note 2.

Posted via LG G2.

I was wanting to get a Otterbox. But they are so expensive. That's why I went with the MAXX.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Look on ebay and Amazon. I've bought my last few Otterbox on there for around $20 or less.

On the screen protector note, I haven't used one on the last two phones. To me they just get so nasty and disgusting that you have to replace them and no matter now clear they are they inhibit the crispness of the screen and the touch. To clean I use just Monster cleaner and cloth also available on Amazon.

The WheelMan

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Look on ebay and Amazon. I've bought my last few Otterbox on there for around $20 or less.

On the screen protector note, I haven't used one on the last two phones. To me they just get so nasty and disgusting that you have to replace them and no matter now clear they are they inhibit the crispness of the screen and the touch. To clean I use just Monster cleaner and cloth also available on Amazon.

That's why I think glass screen protectors like the Iloome are better. They are very clear, and they shouldn't be any harder to clean than the screen itself would be.

Oliver Telfor

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't use screen protectors, mostly because I can never seem to successfully apply them.

@holyjesusjuice

Hi,

I work for a company called Expert Shield UK (We sell screen protectors but that's not why I'm posting)

If you're struggling with applying a protector (you're not alone, loads of people do) You can check out our blog.

It offers step by step advice and you'll be fitted in minutes Blog - How to apply a screen protector in 5 minutes, or less.

Hope this helps

Jimmy Gillentine

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I will say that for the price, the SG MAXX is an awesome case. My phone dropped last night on concrete right on the corner! It bounced and rolled into the gravel. I picked it up and not a scratch on it! Just a little dirt on the corner where it hit the ground. Boy...I'm glad I had the case on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad