Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint LG G2: Root After KitKat Update

I've been searching the forums for a definitive answer and have yet to find one. Has anyone rooted after taking the update and which direction did you go (OneClick, ADB, Sideload, etc...). On JellyBean I used OneClick without any problems. Also, what custom recovery(s) are supported.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-05-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Global Posts
    7,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Root After KitKat Update

Quote Originally Posted by gobyray View Post
    I've been searching the forums for a definitive answer and have yet to find one. Has anyone rooted after taking the update and which direction did you go (OneClick, ADB, Sideload, etc...). On JellyBean I used OneClick without any problems. Also, what custom recovery(s) are supported.
    Thank you!
    Yes, it looks like you can root 4.4.2 on the Sprint LG G2 using this method: [ROOT] IO Root - xda-developers

Take a look through that thread for more information.
    Thanked by:
    gobyray and AC_Jizzle like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Yes, it looks like you can root 4.4.2 on the Sprint LG G2 using this method: [ROOT] IO Root - xda-developers

Take a look through that thread for more information.
    Thank you, I appreciate the link!

Global Posts
    7,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Thank you, I appreciate the link!
    No problem - let us know if there are further questions we can help with .
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    No problem - let us know if there are further questions we can help with .
    I can't seem to find a working custom recovery since the OTA Update...I tried the TWRP Manager but it says not supported. Any recommendations? (Thanks again for IORoot...it took about 45 seconds to Root)

Global Posts
    7,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I can't seem to find a working custom recovery since the OTA Update...I tried the TWRP Manager but it says not supported. Any recommendations? (Thanks again for IORoot...it took about 45 seconds to Root)
    Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations since I don't have the device and looking through the forums (XDA) it appears that there some recoveries won't work with certain OTAs. All I can suggest is look through the XDA development forum and see if there is anything which will work for your device and OTA - let us know how things go.

If your reason for wanting to install a custom recovery is to flash custom rom, you could probably go back to 4.2 and use either TWRP or CWM, then flash whatever rom you want. If custom roms are desired, udgrading to kitkat first is of no advantage, you're just replacing it anyway. If your reason is not to flash, what are trying to accomplish, once you're rooted maybe there is a different way?

NEVER use a 1-click method. And NEVER take a an OTA update being rooted. You will brick your device.

CWM orTWRP should work

Autorec over on XDA. Works perfect.

Autorec worked 100% perfectly for me, i suggest you take a look at it. I'll even give you a link! How To Install TWRP Recovery On LG G2 Running Android 4.4.2 Kitkat »