Sprint LG G2: Daughter's Phone Rebooted and everything is gone

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
So my daughter just texted me (She is at school and I am at work) and her phone rebooted a little while ago and is now completely empty and has nothing installed and her data is gone.

My guess, she may have received the KitKat update but I am not sure since it's at school with her.

Has anyone else had this happen? She is so upset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Daughters Phone Rebooted and everything is gone

Have heard of this happening (not sure if I've heard it with the G2, but I have with other phones).

Most likely nothing can be done now, but a trip to a sprint store might yield some clues, might, but will.

This is why everyone should perform regular backups. The LG Backup app makes its so easy there is no reason everyone shouldn't do it. You can even automate your backups on a schedule.

My only gripe is that they should develop an integration with Dropbox, Box, and other cloud storage sites do you can automate the backup AND have it uploaded automatically.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Also, it may only be that the phone went into safe mode or something. To check for the files which aren't showing up, try downloading ES File Explorer from the play store, and look in the DCIM folder for pictures and video, and the various other folders for music, etc.

Check Settings, Apps to see if any apps disappeared. Chances are the data is still on the device, but just disappeared from the home screen or something.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Sounds like she was in settings playing with the backup option and she accidentally FDR.
Ask what menus she was in when it did it. Allot of times people are pressing settings trying to figure out what things do.

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site

The phone was actually in her pocket when this happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Was it in her back pocket?

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site

It was in her back pocket she got in trouble in school cause her phone started making noise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

swazey

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So my daughter just texted me (She is at school and I am at work) and her phone rebooted a little while ago and is now completely empty and has nothing installed and her data is gone.

My guess, she may have received the KitKat update but I am not sure since it's at school with her.

The phone would not re

Has anyone else had this happen? She is so upset.

The phone would not just randomly do something like this on its own. You have to manually wipe (unless someone else can obtain remote access - like on an exchange server, for example) OR as you said, she received the update with the phone being in her pocket. Her leg or something must have hit the bottom right of the screen and accepted the update. The phone will not automatically take the update, you have to accept it. Have her to go Settings > About phone > Software information. If the Android version is 4.4.2, then her phone has been updated to Kitkat.

With this phone, we get 50GB of free cloud storage through Box. No real reason to lose any of your data!

Subbeh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
The same thing actually happened to me. My phone was in my pocket while driving and when I took it out, the phone was off. When I turned it on, all data was gone and it seemed like the phone just did a factory reset. I already have version 4.4.2, so it can't have been an update I did accidentally.
The only explanation I can think of is that somehow the public transport card I had in the same pocket caused some disturbance. Atleast I heard somewhere that that could cause problems. Still very strange though...

jlbattagli

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The same thing actually happened to me. My phone was in my pocket while driving and when I took it out, the phone was off. When I turned it on, all data was gone and it seemed like the phone just did a factory reset. I already have version 4.4.2, so it can't have been an update I did accidentally.
The only explanation I can think of is that somehow the public transport card I had in the same pocket caused some disturbance. Atleast I heard somewhere that that could cause problems. Still very strange though...

Wow! Seems unlikely, but with the buttons situated where they are on the back of the phone, I guess it's possible to accidentally reboot into recovery and somehow select a full reset without realizing it (as opposed to most phones where the power and volume buttons are more widely separated). If that's what happened, I don't think it would be possible to recover data on the phone. Unfortunately, chalk it up to a harsh lesson in backing up your important data :'(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781