Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By prEvo
  • 1 Post By rcdietz1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sprint LG G2: I thought you could talk and use data on 4G

Guess not with Spark 4G. What's up.

[post edited by moderator]
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-11-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Delirious D likes this.

Default Re: I thought you could talk and use data on 4G.

No, no spark devices support simultaneous voice and data. There's one radio in the phone. It can only handle one function at a time.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I feel like I have been ripped off.

No it shuts off the data as soon as you use the phone. A way around it though I haven't tried myself would be to use talkatone or something that uses data for the phone.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    DWR_31 

Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. If you have nothing constructive to add to the discussion, I suggest that you refrain from posting. If you believe a post is inappropriate, then feel free to report it. Responding in kind is a violation of the forum rules. I suggest that those involved take the opportunity to review the forum rules.

Thread has been cleaned up.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II
    Thanked by:
    DWR_31 

Quote Originally Posted by prEvo View Post
    I feel like I have been ripped off.
    Quite a few phones (even before spark devices) could only do one or the other, not both. I believe they're trying to get simultaneous voice and LTE (volte) into newer devices, but it's a relatively new technology and difficult to implement.

I'm sorry you got misled with the G2. It's a fantastic phone; however, and there are a few ways around it. You could get whomever you're wishing to speak with onto a Skype phone call. With the voice call being transmitted over data, you'll still have access to your LTE.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    458 Global Posts

Default Re: Sprint LG G2: I thought you could talk and use data on 4G

Actually, all GSM phones were always able to do it and CDMA phones(Verizon & Sprint) couldn't
    With LTE (2 radios) all Verizon phones can do it. Sprint is attempting to maximize data rates so there must be a special design of Spark devices that won't allow it. All other GSM./LTE phones can do this.

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for trimming the nasty people off here admin. Anyway, Spark is VERY fast. I can live with it, cause all video content can be streamed at the highest resolution no problem.
    But my Palm Pre could do data AND talk on a 3G connection. My OG Galaxy S and Gnex both could do both on 4G. It's just that it seems like it has gone backwards. Oh well. I am happy with my G2.

Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

I use GrooveIP to access Google Voice and surf on my G2 at the same time.

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

I actually have no problem with data and voice at the same time. Try following the steps I use. First open your browser, then use slide aside to hide it. Now open up the dialer, make a call (dial or use contacts, as normal), while the call is active, slide the browser window back open surf like as always. Slide the browser back closed, and the call is still there. You can even use speaker phone and talk while browsing. This does not work if you try to open phone app before browser, because the phone app does not support slide aside, therefore it has to the second app opened. One thing, after your call remember to close the slide aside window, or it will just stay open in the background. Hope this works for you, just remember, you have to open the browser first, and slide it aside before making call.
    Tritonemusic likes this.

I know.. I think the Samsung galaxy can..
    I thought I could to then realized I was at home using wifi..

I came from blackberry so im used to it either way...
    no loss here

Quote Originally Posted by rcdietz1 View Post
    I actually have no problem with data and voice at the same time. Try following the steps I use. First open your browser, then use slide aside to hide it. Now open up the dialer, make a call (dial or use contacts, as normal), while the call is active, slide the browser window back open surf like as always. Slide the browser back closed, and the call is still there. You can even use speaker phone and talk while browsing. This does not work if you try to open phone app before browser, because the phone app does not support slide aside, therefore it has to the second app opened. One thing, after your call remember to close the slide aside window, or it will just stay open in the background. Hope this works for you, just remember, you have to open the browser first, and slide it aside before making call.
    Not that I don't believe you, but I don't believe you... ;-)

When you do the steps above you must be on WiFi. No matter how you start things, there is only one radio for both voice and data.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

The HTC One m8 and the new S5 can not handle talk and surf at the same time. So sad to take a huge step backwards.

Posted via Android Central App

Don't our g2 have a sim card? Which makes it gsm as well right?