Sprint LG G2: Google Play Music issue?

da_joker3198

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Got the phone a week and a half ago on 4.2 (sprint) then the notification of the 4.4 update appeared. So updating my phone goes smoothly and everything is smoother, the notification bar looks cleaner and the phone seems perfect. Until I try using the play music app, on 4.2 it worked as usual now on 4.4 it gives an error every song or two. Any fix for this or am I better off just using my old phone as a sorta dedicated music player?

Also posted this on the lgg2 subreddit and all I got was a couple people who also have this issue that have already contacted google and got the "we're working on it".

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Play Music issue?

Welcome to Android Central! Does it only happen when streaming from the cloud, or also when playing locally stored music? Have you tried going to Settings>Apps>All, selecting Google Play Music, and clearing the cache and data? When you open it back up again, you'll need to wait a few minutes while it re-syncs everything again.

da_joker3198

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

Both steaming and from downloaded music. No I haven't tried that I'll see if that works.

Posted via Android Central App

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Let us know if clearing the cache and data works for you. The Play Music stopping is my only real issue with my phone, and it's not even LG's fault, I'm pretty sure. I have to pay $10 a month for a streaming service that only lets me stream for 30 minutes or so before I have to re-open the whole program and start again. It drives me nuts.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Let us know if clearing the cache and data works for you. The Play Music stopping is my only real issue with my phone, and it's not even LG's fault, I'm pretty sure. I have to pay $10 a month for a streaming service that only lets me stream for 30 minutes or so before I have to re-open the whole program and start again. It drives me nuts.

Mine is doing this too but I don't have to exit the program I just have to skip to the next song and then it keeps going 😀

Rockin my LG G2

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Mine is doing this too but I don't have to exit the program I just have to skip to the next song and then it keeps going ��

Rockin my LG G2

I wish that's all I had to do. Mine shuts down the whole Play Music app. It's definitely annoying.

da_joker3198

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

But its a basic service that is already pre-installed I'd expect it to work the way its supposed to. Especially when I'm paying for a monthly service. Its only a minor inconvenience but its highly annoying to have to dig my phone out of my pocket every few minutes.

da_joker3198

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Update: well went to best buy and they asked all the usual questions like if I have tried turning the phone off and on ect ect. They finally kept insisting that I have to factory reset my phone so not wanting to fight with them anymore I just agreed. I can now make it through like 3 songs without it stopping. So yeah guess we just have to wait for an update to fix this :(. Off to get my phone back to normal.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Update: well went to best buy and they asked all the usual questions like if I have tried turning the phone off and on ect ect. They finally kept insisting that I have to factory reset my phone so not wanting to fight with them anymore I just agreed. I can now make it through like 3 songs without it stopping. So yeah guess we just have to wait for an update to fix this :(. Off to get my phone back to normal.

I hate that I didn't get here sooner.

It's a Google bug in the music app.
It's there even after a FDR.
They're fixing it.

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's an issue with Google Music and they're working on it, it will probably be fixed with an upcoming Google Music app update.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I reset my phone after installing kit Kat and it's still doing it on mine so that definitely won't fix it. Anytime I've had an issue with my phone the geek squad dudes want to just reset it, as if I'm bothering them with my trivial issue. I'm starting to think paying for the insurance is waste of money 😕

Rockin my LG G2

u18a12

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
This happening on my AT&T LG G2 with the latest Kit Kat update, too. AT&T release another update that fixes issues with G+ and Wallet this week. I installed it this morning, but still have the Google Play Music issue. So annonying, especially since I pay for All Access. At least it works on my other devices.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

My advice to you moving forward. If you have a problem with your device, Google Google Google and check forums or post. Any of the reps at Best Buy or Sprint stores don't know anything at all. For any problem you have their first "troubleshooting" tactic is to have you hard reset. They also love to tell you that they have never heard of some app you have installed and that is likely creating the issue. As you've found out, it was a waste of time, gas, and now you have to set your phone up again.

bigtank

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Is It Google Music or is it something with LG's hardware. I also have this same issue BUT I notice the stream doesnt actually stop as the error message suggest it is more as if hardware fails to decrypt the audio. To be a lil more specific I can listen to a selection for maybe 5 to 10 seconds before I get the "cant play requested stream" message but the indicator in the app is still moving normally. I've noticed that if I wait for a few seconds and hit the lil triangle exclamation point that the stream will pick back up not where it left off(as if it were paused) but where it should be if the stream was never interrupted. I work for a TV provider and its almost like what you would experience over HDMI when the handshake fails. The source is uninteruppted but EU's end fails to produce any output. Obviously the Google Music issue is not one of HDCP but if the source stream is not failing then the fault would lie on the receiving end(i.e. Hardware). Correct?

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
So, while I was on JB, the app would crash out completely. Now that I am on KK, the app just gives me an error message and stops playback. Then I just press play and it picks back up where it stopped. It's annoying for sure, especially since I pay for the service, but it's better than app fully crashing out on me. Baby steps I guess. Lol

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
This is getting more and more annoying. I've reported it to Google through the feedback option in the play music settings hoping that the more people who bug them about it then it will become a priority.

The part that's really annoying me is that while streaming through Bluetooth to my car stereo, when it goes to the next song it shows on my screen that it's been paused but when I look at my phone it's still shows it's playing. The only way to get it to stream again is to pause it and then play it on the app. Not sure if this is the same problem as the playback error in Google music or if the problem is with Bluetooth in kit kat. Either way it's really annoying!

Rockin my LG G2