Fix LG G2 Signal Issues with Root and Rom?

one eye bear

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone fixed any LG G2 signal issues by rooting their device and flashing a custom rom?

Both my wife's LG G2 and my LG G2 have horrible signal reception in our home. Sprint sent us an Airave but we must keep our devices in CDMA only mode for the airave to work properly with the LG G2. When we are away from home we can go into settings and change to Global again but we usually only get 1 bar of LTE if we are lucky and to get that we usually have to go in and out of airplane mode. Even on full bars of 3G most apps that require data will not load.

Houston, TX

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I definitely have the exact same issue. What I recommend doing is calling sprint and putting temporary insurance on your phone. It is open enrollment for this month. You can put insurance on, wait two days, and then go make a claim at the store. Get a new phone and see if that helps. I'm about to try that tomorrow. without a doubt, there is an issue with the Sprint g2 and its ability to fall back on the correct Wireless frequency..I am either at one bar all the time or just completely unable to connect to the network. What a joke.

mpagano37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here with signal. We lose GPS and data all the time. I've tried to call, but get no where. One rep told me it was a tower issue. There must be lots of towers with problems. It happens all over NJ.

Posted via Android Central App

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think your problem is with Sprint, not the G2. I'm on Verizon and the G2 has excellent signal strength for voice and data (beats my S3 by 2 orders of magnitude).

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and haven't had any of these issues with my G2. Probably a Sprint issue or a defective G2.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why are you setting it to Global? You should have it on LTE/CDMA. Global is for if you travel out of country

Stl_Knight

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP my service with Sprint is horrible. I know it's not the phone but damn this is taking forever to get decent service here in Saint Louis.

Sprint needs to just add the WiFi calling feature to fix my issues for work and home.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Stl_Knight

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
One more thing the Spark Update literally killed my LTE i rarely ever get LTE in my area ever since the update. I am about to just flash a custom rom to get rid of Spark.

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I should have clarified. I meant that my service with Sprint is terrible with specifically the G2. The other 4 Smartphones on my family plan are Moto X's and they have perfect 4G Strength, whereas my G2, sitting right next to the Moto X, almost always, has little to no coverage. The issue seems to be something with how Sprint's towers handle the 3G to 4G Handoff with these new "Spark" Phones - The phone (in my opinion) acts confused and never knows to jump on the right tower - sort of reminding me of when WiFi access points overlap and a laptop will connect to the "wrong" access point, furthest away. I'm hoping there is a software fix, or Sprint can update their towers so that they can stop using the excuse about improving their network. 4G works totally fine on my other devices, as it should on this G2 !

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's got to be the phone, have you had sprint replace it? I have a Sprint G2 and travel all over the upper Midwest without issue. Mine goes from 3g to LTE and back without issue. I'm amazed at how large the LTE coverage areas have become.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I know this may not be helpful, but I've had no issues since the Spark update and I just put the setting on Global. I don't think it matters...at least in my experience there has been no difference. But while in Airave range in my home I have to have it on CDMA and no roaming. That's just the phone. I went over a lot of troubleshooting and that's the only thing that has worked. When I leave my house I just put it on Global and go about my day.

Justin Cardwell

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I should have clarified. I meant that my service with Sprint is terrible with specifically the G2. The other 4 Smartphones on my family plan are Moto X's and they have perfect 4G Strength, whereas my G2, sitting right next to the Moto X, almost always, has little to no coverage. The issue seems to be something with how Sprint's towers handle the 3G to 4G Handoff with these new "Spark" Phones - The phone (in my opinion) acts confused and never knows to jump on the right tower - sort of reminding me of when WiFi access points overlap and a laptop will connect to the "wrong" access point, furthest away. I'm hoping there is a software fix, or Sprint can update their towers so that they can stop using the excuse about improving their network. 4G works totally fine on my other devices, as it should on this G2 !
You are spot on. I contacted sprint with the issue and they told me to update the PRL and data profile, needless to say it did nothing.

randyist

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I will go back to trying the global setting again. It will probably do nothing but I hope that sprint comes up with an update soon.

Jawad Butt

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone fixed any LG G2 signal issues by rooting their device and flashing a custom rom?

Both my wife's LG G2 and my LG G2 have horrible signal reception in our home. Sprint sent us an Airave but we must keep our devices in CDMA only mode for the airave to work properly with the LG G2. When we are away from home we can go into settings and change to Global again but we usually only get 1 bar of LTE if we are lucky and to get that we usually have to go in and out of airplane mode. Even on full bars of 3G most apps that require data will not load.

Houston, TX

I am having same issue my LG D800 loses signal ins ever room of my house. obviously no other cell phone behave like this in sname house. how to fix this issue any sugestions please help!

raidrum

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Well it's now October 2015, well after the original post, but I had to chime in as I've been struggling with my G2 since I got it! I bought it as "New" on ebay with a 1 year warranty. I've sent it to LG twice. First, the Einsteins replaced the camera. Second time, they kept it for 3 weeks, did nothing, sent it back stating they found nothing wrong. It's an unlocked phone so I've tried both Tmobile and currently have AT&T. Same crappy signal reception for voice calls with either service. Europeans are able to fix with rooting and flashing custom roms. That is all new to me so I (and it looks like many others) would greatly appreciate solid help with this issue! Anybody?