Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By BecomingDeath13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

Default The LG G2, officially as unreliable as the Galaxy Nexus - Touchscreen Dead Spot

Today my perfect condition, never dropped, G2 touch screen started going crazy. It was doing things on its own, flying through text threads, essentially having a seizure. After it was done I noticed the font for the text view was really small...like tiny. I don't mean within a thread, but looking at all my threads. Within the thread was normal. I thought it was a glitch and rebooted. When it came up I went about my day...then I heard a message come through. I "knock knock" to get it...Nope ... nothing. Tried again and again and again. Nothing. Rebooted. Nothing. Small knocks, short knocks, fast knocks...nothing. So I thought to myself that the knock feature got borked. Well, that was just the start. I started looking at notifications by turning on the phone with the power button, hoping a hard reset would remedy the situation when I got home...I needed to transfer pics. So...trying to pull down the notification bar, glitch after glitch...took me seven times to get it down. I went into the hidden settings menu through 5689#*980# and did a test on the touch screen. There is a gigantic dead spot right where the Q slide would be...I don't use it, so it is just the volume bar. Nothing within that part of the touchscreen works. This is why I don't sign contracts. Now I have to spend my weekend at the Sprint Store dealing with those dolts. Unfortunately this is a well known issue, as my Google search results had pages of people having this problem via AF, XDA, and Reddit. Ugh..
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default Re: The LG G2, officially as unreliable as the Galaxy Nexus - Touchscreen Dead Spot

Would be a great time to pre order the g3! Check out the flex while you are at SPRINT too! Its awesome!!πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

Default Re: The LG G2, officially as unreliable as the Galaxy Nexus - Touchscreen Dead Spot

What device do you have? Not sure what the ls995 is...
    Assassin Droid

Global Posts
    7,711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Did the GNex have a problem with that? I had three of them but they were all the Verizon variant.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreynothing43 View Post
    What device do you have? Not sure what the ls995 is...
    No not specifically. It was just the worst smart phone I've ever had. Everything that could go wrong, did. I had eight over a span of 1.5 years. This the third G2 I've had in four months. Seems on track for being garbage to me.

Sorry...this was meant for the question regarding the Galaxy Nexus.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

So I took the phone into Sprint...they ordered me a replacement. I figured I could live with the inconvenience of the glitchiness for a while. After I got home the whole touchscreen stopped responding and started opening apps on its own. I tried countless reboots and a couple other things, turned off all gestures etc. Nothing worked. I couldn't even get it to factory reset because I couldn't get to that menu. I ended up having to power it down and get to recovery mode to wipe the phone. I'm not sure how long it will take to get a new one, but I needed a phone in the mean time. In about 10 minutes I found a guy selling a brand new Evo 3D for $25. So I'm using that now. Ugh...

I've had my ls980 g2 for 5 months and I've realized that it is an awesome smartphone. But... it's gimmick or niche was the knock on feature and I liken that to starting your car by punching your windshield. The build isn't (and most other phones) able to withstand the constant shock of being jarred on and off with a tap. Still awesome specs but I'll probably go back to Samsung or HTC for my next super device.

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

That is a very good point, and something I've considered as well. I guess the oddest thing to me about this device is that I haven't heard any really negative things about it until now. After this happened I of course did some digging...it appears that this dead zone on the screen and the overall touch screen failure is common. I'm surprised more people here on this forum haven't responded to this, at least to say that they have similar issues or have heard of this.

It is if you use your fingers and not a hammer. πŸ˜‰

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock ROM 4.2.2 Spark

So I received my replacement G2 yesterday...and immediately had to bring it back to Sprint for another replacement. This time around the display is ghosting so bad it looks like every screen is see-through. I'm starting to think that phone is complete junk. Let's see how #4 is when I receive it.

I've had absolutely no issues with my G2 until the KitKat update. When I got KitKat, I could not longer answer incoming calls. Any attempt to answer wouldn't connect. Did multiple things over the course of the next few months, but I'm going to get LG to repair it since in still under warranty. Aside from that the only G2 issue I'm having isn't a G2 issue. It's a Tri-Band issue. My phone has essentially become a 3G only device. eCSFB is the issue and I've been jumping down Sprint's throat for releasing Spark phones when they weren't properly tested. The galaxy s5 my brother has is also having the kickback issue.
    Thanked by:
    Jimmy Gillentine likes this.

I use a hammer because I googled stylus replacement and hammer came up on the 97th drop down suggestion so I went with it. But seriously just wait knock on will fail until the screen (digitizer) and phone are somehow the same piece. Not separate pieces glued together.

Posted via Android Central App

I also have a dead zone. It seems to be a band from the sim card slot towards the upper left all the way across the screen. Still under the 1 year manufacturer warranty. Thinking of swapping it out.

To me it looks like a pressure problem near the sim slot. It is very uniform and affects a full 1cm horizontal band.
    Thanked by:

I had the exact same failure. About 3/4" wide band of dead touch screen that was right in line with the sim card slot. Also, the knock on feature stopped working, but the very same place works for swipe to unlock and then all the phone functions.

I contacted them and they said to send the phone in for warranty repair, after they confirmed that my unit is still covered. They left plenty of loopholes to not cover it though.... It seems that this is not an uncommon problem, and I have had nothing happen that would have caused this all of a sudden.

Sending out tomorrow, we shall see.

How long did it take for them to fix and send it back? I need to send mine in since im having the same dead area issues but dont want to be without a phone for 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by frankyblike View Post
    How long did it take for them to fix and send it back? I need to send mine in since im having the same dead area issues but dont want to be without a phone for 2 weeks?
    I sent mine directly to LG for an LCD repair and it took about 10 days. Whatever you do, don't send them anything you don't want back except for the phone. You even keep the battery.
    Thanked by: