Fix weak LTE connection in ZVD firmware

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
For those who don't frequent the XDA forums, you might have missed this important fix after the latest ZVD update:

If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
2. open the dialer and enter ##data#
3. Tap LTE and select edit
4. Enter your MSL
5. Select BSRTimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
6. Press back, phone should reboot
7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
How do you get your MSL?

Posted via Android Central App

There are various threads about it.

My suggestion: when you activate a new phone, Sprint gives you the MSL - so check your emails/records as you may already have it. If not, you can use Sprint chat or call customer service and ask for it. If neither of those options are good for you, check the links above for some alternatives.

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I did a ##rtn# reset and it defaulted the bsrtimer to 1. Granted this is after I ended up setting it to 3 off the zvd a few weeks ago. I just left it at 1 after that though.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This just begs the question: why? Why does my and my wife's phone have this set to 3000 and I don't experience any issues yet she does?

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
This just begs the question: why? Why does my and my wife's phone have this set to 3000 and I don't experience any issues yet she does?
Seems it is a bug in LG's programming. We checked on a phone flashed back to ZVC and it was set to 3 by default.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Seems it is a bug in LG's programming. We checked on a phone flashed back to ZVC and it was set to 3 by default.

OK, but that still doesn't answer why some phones work just fine with 3000 and others such until changed back to 3.

BTW, does any have a description of what BSR Timer really is?

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
OK, but that still doesn't answer why some phones work just fine with 3000 and others such until changed back to 3.

BTW, does any have a description of what BSR Timer really is?
I suspect it is related to scan frequency, such that if you fall back to 3g it may be hours before it scans again, but that is just a theory.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give this a try. Since the ZVD update, I noticed that I wasn't staying on LTE as often.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Some questions like that have only "it may be" answers. In the trade we call it IPIO, the innate perversity of inanimate objects. IOW, sometimes hardware just doesn't do what we expect it to do. (Remember, although we live in the macro world, a lot of what happens in electronics is determined by quantum effects, and we know almost nothing about QM yet. So sometimes we say "just because", rather than wasting time we know isn't going to get us any answers.)

Jimmy Gillentine

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Some questions like that have only "it may be" answers. In the trade we call it IPIO, the innate perversity of inanimate objects. IOW, sometimes hardware just doesn't do what we expect it to do. (Remember, although we live in the macro world, a lot of what happens in electronics is determined by quantum effects, and we know almost nothing about QM yet. So sometimes we say "just because", rather than wasting time we know isn't going to get us any answers.)

? You should teach chaos theory.

Posted via Android Central App

mpagano37

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I never realized how bad my LTE connection was until now. I never travel in a 3G zone, but I'm always on 3G. I just get small glimpses of LTE. Chat had me try a few things, but no better connection. I will try again to get my MLS #.
I'm in a SPARK best zone and only get 3G.
HMMMMM

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I never realized how bad my LTE connection was until now. I never travel in a 3G zone, but I'm always on 3G. I just get small glimpses of LTE. Chat had me try a few things, but no better connection. I will try again to get my MLS #.
I'm in a SPARK best zone and only get 3G.
HMMMMM
I'd say just be honest. Tell them there is a bug in the ZVD firmware that is fixed in the data menu that asks for the MSL. This will be the easiest way for most folks.

If that doesn't work you have a couple of other options:
1. Root the phone and use one of the methods to extract it yourself or,
2. Activate another phone on your account and the re-activate your G2. Your msl is shown when you use the online tool to activate a phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs