Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Fix weak LTE connection in ZVD firmware

For those who don't frequent the XDA forums, you might have missed this important fix after the latest ZVD update:

If you have noticed after the ZVD update you seem to be on 3g a lot and seem to have problems staying on LTE in locations you previously had good signals, here is a fix I shared in the ZVD update thread which seems to completely resolved the issue:

1. Obtain your MSL
    2. open the dialer and enter ##data#
    3. Tap LTE and select edit
    4. Enter your MSL
    5. Select BSRTimer (defaults to 3000) and change the value to 3
    6. Press back, phone should reboot
    7. Profit

*does not require root

After doing this, I'm back to nearly constant LTE connectivity, where prior to the fix I was on 3g almost every time I checked.

Global Posts
    9,452 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimLP 5.0.2 Weekly

Default Re: Fix weak LTE connection in ZVD firmware

Thanks for sharing. Might come in handy if users here are having the same issue.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

How do you get your MSL?

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Gillentine View Post
    How do you get your MSL?

There are various threads about it.

My suggestion: when you activate a new phone, Sprint gives you the MSL - so check your emails/records as you may already have it. If not, you can use Sprint chat or call customer service and ask for it. If neither of those options are good for you, check the links above for some alternatives.
    Thanked by 2:
    Jimmy Gillentine likes this.

Thank you. It worked!

UJ95x likes this.

I did a ##rtn# reset and it defaulted the bsrtimer to 1. Granted this is after I ended up setting it to 3 off the zvd a few weeks ago. I just left it at 1 after that though.

This just begs the question: why? Why does my and my wife's phone have this set to 3000 and I don't experience any issues yet she does?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    This just begs the question: why? Why does my and my wife's phone have this set to 3000 and I don't experience any issues yet she does?
    Seems it is a bug in LG's programming. We checked on a phone flashed back to ZVC and it was set to 3 by default.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket321 View Post
    Seems it is a bug in LG's programming. We checked on a phone flashed back to ZVC and it was set to 3 by default.
    OK, but that still doesn't answer why some phones work just fine with 3000 and others such until changed back to 3.

BTW, does any have a description of what BSR Timer really is?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

OK, but that still doesn't answer why some phones work just fine with 3000 and others such until changed back to 3.

BTW, does any have a description of what BSR Timer really is?
    I suspect it is related to scan frequency, such that if you fall back to 3g it may be hours before it scans again, but that is just a theory.

Chat wouldn't give me the MSL number.

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to give this a try. Since the ZVD update, I noticed that I wasn't staying on LTE as often.

Global Posts
    10,617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Modified Stock 4.4.2

Some questions like that have only "it may be" answers. In the trade we call it IPIO, the innate perversity of inanimate objects. IOW, sometimes hardware just doesn't do what we expect it to do. (Remember, although we live in the macro world, a lot of what happens in electronics is determined by quantum effects, and we know almost nothing about QM yet. So sometimes we say "just because", rather than wasting time we know isn't going to get us any answers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    Some questions like that have only "it may be" answers. In the trade we call it IPIO, the innate perversity of inanimate objects. IOW, sometimes hardware just doesn't do what we expect it to do. (Remember, although we live in the macro world, a lot of what happens in electronics is determined by quantum effects, and we know almost nothing about QM yet. So sometimes we say "just because", rather than wasting time we know isn't going to get us any answers.)
    ? You should teach chaos theory.

Quote Originally Posted by mpagano37 View Post
    Chat wouldn't give me the MSL number.

That is strange. I had no problem getting it at all.

Did they ask you why you wanted it? My chat person did. I wasn't sure how to answer.

Did they ask you why you wanted it? My chat person did. I wasn't sure how to answer.

Nope. I guess I was just lucky.

I never realized how bad my LTE connection was until now. I never travel in a 3G zone, but I'm always on 3G. I just get small glimpses of LTE. Chat had me try a few things, but no better connection. I will try again to get my MLS #.
    I'm in a SPARK best zone and only get 3G.
    HMMMMM
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I never realized how bad my LTE connection was until now. I never travel in a 3G zone, but I'm always on 3G. I just get small glimpses of LTE. Chat had me try a few things, but no better connection. I will try again to get my MLS #.
    I'm in a SPARK best zone and only get 3G.
    HMMMMM
    I'd say just be honest. Tell them there is a bug in the ZVD firmware that is fixed in the data menu that asks for the MSL. This will be the easiest way for most folks.

If that doesn't work you have a couple of other options:
    1. Root the phone and use one of the methods to extract it yourself or,
    2. Activate another phone on your account and the re-activate your G2. Your msl is shown when you use the online tool to activate a phone.
    Thanked by:

I got it for my and wife's phone. I guess it depends who you get. I just made the change. Hopefully it works. Thanks for all the help.
    Thanked by:
    Jimmy Gillentine likes this.

I haven't tracked the results in detail, but compared to pre-ZVD update, I'm not staying on LTE as consistently as I used to. Maybe I'm the exception.

This seems to have worked for me, I just did it a couple hrs ago but haven't bounced off LTE and I've been in an area I know normally kicks me to 3g

Posted via the Android Central App

I am wondering about doing this procedure to help my LTE connection, has anyone had any unintended consequences or problems after doing this?

Thank you,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by cal777flyer View Post
    I am wondering about doing this procedure to help my LTE connection, has anyone had any unintended consequences or problems after doing this?

Thank you,
    Ken
    No consequences.

thanks, I'll try it.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast