Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: Sprint LG Marquee Root

Can anyone tell us exactly what we can achieve with rooting?
    E.g., hotspot tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by eruisi View Post
    Can anyone tell us exactly what we can achieve with rooting?
    E.g., hotspot tethering?
    With root on this phone you gain use of any app that requires SU permissions.

Hotspot tethering is easily achieved using root, tho in this case is not required. (Check out post #8 HERE and thank tim)
    If you want the root method program, thats

Other programs that require root?

- Which allows you to restrict network access to certain programs. Why? Because it uses your data and your battery. This allows you to control how much and when.

- Allows you to pick and choose the permissions allowed by your apps. Why is this important? Because your apps don't always NEED the permissions they ask for. They sometimes use those permissions to gain access to your contacts and send texts back to the programmer. With this program, you allow only the permissions you want. Its no longer all-or-nothing.

- Allows Many things including freezing programs (more effective at saving battery life than killing them). Also allows you to back up your programs and batch re-install them if you change roms or do a recovery**

- Root Explorer is the ultimate file manager for root users. Access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder). Who Cares? Anyone trying to gain access to folders that would otherwise be locked down by the OS.

There are many others including and the list goes on and on, but it all comes down to you...the user. Is there anything you feel like your missing while not rooted? For some, rooting isnt a big deal. For me it is.

I'm hoping I helped answer your question. If you have more feel free to ask.

**custom recovery like CWM isn't available for this phone yet, but it will also be a benefit to rooting when it is.
    Thanked by:
    Tinker2Much likes this.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

About the non-root method of tethering, I'd met some problem. Through the LG.hiddenmenu of launcher pro, I can use the built in hot spot to tether, but I cannot access internet from Marquee itself later. I have to launch the hidden menu, select the DUN again and reboot. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my special case.

Some advantages from root:

1. tether
    2. you can take screen shot. No joke, there is no simple method to take screen shot before root.
    3. you can use Titianium backup to freeze bloatware. I don't think it's a good idea to uninstall them, because you may need them when there is a upgrade available, or there could be something broken if you uninstall them. With bloatware frozen, they will not be updated or appear in background.

I was using metamorph to apply a theme, and all went blank and wouldn't turn back on. I than put it in a recovery mode..? with the power+volume down button and went to wipe data/factory reset, did that, and reseted cache. Nothing happens and it just stays at the lg boot screen.. any help please?

I have the LG Marquee and I noticed some people were able to use Wireless Tether. But in my case, I am always getting "ad-hoc failed" when using Wireless Tether (2.0.7 or 3.1 beta 6). Anything special to do?

I rooted my phone successfully and I have full root access on the phone but I cannot get root access via ADB Shell. Would we need a custom ROM to enable that?

Quote Originally Posted by farfromuman View Post
    I rooted my phone successfully and I have full root access on the phone but I cannot get root access via ADB Shell. Would we need a custom ROM to enable that?
    You should be able to access the phone through adb shell if the phone has "debug" active and you select the "charge only" option when you connect it to the USB cable. Also, make sure you have the correct drivers installed on your PC.

I'm having trouble unrooting. Says I cannot delete the required files. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by wartorn View Post
    I'm having trouble unrooting. Says I cannot delete the required files. Am I missing something?
    From Page 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nosajsam View Post
    can anyone talk me through how to delete Superuser once installed?

I cant seem to remove it.
    i figured it out. (I found this on androidforums.com)

Use root explorer and delete superuser.apk from the /system/app folder. Go to the Android market and download and install super user. Use root explorer again and delete su from /system/bin. Go to the market and uninstall super user.

did a factory reset & now I am back to square one.

I tried deleting the superuser.apk and the su files, but the program won't allow it. Do I have to use root explorer or will any file management app work (I'm using a free one atm)?

I tried deleting the superuser.apk and the su files, but the program won't allow it. Do I have to use root explorer or will any file management app work (I'm using a free one atm)?
    In my limited experience, it's gotta be Root Explorer, the $3.99 one. Four bucks, but then again, maybe having an unrooted phone is worth a cheaper beer

Make sure you have access in root explorer set to r/w and not to r/o. This is easily over looked and will result in the problem you are experiencing.
    Thanked by:

ES File Explorer, File Expert and Total Commander beta have root access.

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudill01 View Post
    Make sure you have access in root explorer set to r/w and not to r/o. This is easily over looked and will result in the problem you are experiencing.
    Thanks, that was the problem.

slowly

learning

how

to

android...

thanks for those drivers sir! I just bought two of these phone and want to flash them to cricKet for my customers. Thanks again!

before i buy this phone, is it easy to root also is there any roms for this phone?

i had the same problem, i double click on USB connection, click twice on "charge only" then click done and then ran the run.dat file from the extracted lg esteen folder that i download then i worked..

make sure you install the lg driver when the phone is not connected to the computer.

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omarnova View Post
    before i buy this phone, is it easy to root also is there any roms for this phone?
    Yes, root is easy. ROMs aren't available yet. But hopefully will in the future.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Was a bit hesitant to do this since it seems relatively new but got it working and fairly easily. !

Does anyone have a copy of the stock rom I need it to get my phone up an running again. I ed up an erased my memory card an I don't have my backup anymore. I know lg released the source for the marquee could I flash that in recovery to put me back at stock?
    Last edited by donbudafuko; 01-02-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nosajsam View Post
    i figured it out. (I found this on androidforums.com)

Use root explorer and delete superuser.apk from the /system/app folder. Go to the Android market and download and install super user. Use root explorer again and delete su from /system/bin. Go to the market and uninstall super user.

did a factory reset & now I am back to square one.
    I'm confused, I rooted my phone and then decided to run it stock again. I installed root explorer and tried to follow your procedure but ran across a problem.

I was able to delete superuser.apk from the /system/app folder. I then went to the market to install it and it said it was already installed and asked me to remove it. So I tried to remove it and the market just froze with uninstalling but never gave the option to install.

I tried to restore the phone by power and volume down button and came to some secret menu and was not sure of which keys select the option. I scratched that method and just went with restore from settings > privacy > factory data reset. Is that the correct way to restore the phone back to virgin mode? Do I need to root the phone again and backup superuser this way I can reinstall it after I delete it the first time? What is the proper way to wipe my tampering?

Just a follow up, I guess I did end up deleting "data and cache" stuff from within the secret menu when holding down volume down and power button. I found some app on the market called root checker and it said my phone wasn't rooted.

I then attempted to root the phone and now it wont root....
    [*] LG Esteem root script (Windows version)[*] Exploit copyright (C) 2011 Revolutionary[*] Scripting for LG Esteem by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)[*][*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you[*] have the latest LG drivers installed, and that your phone is[*] connected via USB.[*][*] Press enter to root your phone...
    Press any key to continue . . .[*][*] Waiting for device...
    * daemon not running. starting it now *
    * daemon started successfully *[*] Device found.[*] Pushing exploit binary...
    1673 KB/s (22281 bytes in 0.013s)
    chmod: permission denied[*] Running exploit...
    /data/local/tmp/zergrush: permission denied[*] Installing root tools...
    /data/local/tmp/sh: not found
    failed to copy 'su' to '/system/tmp/su': No such file or directory
    failed to copy 'busybox' to '/system/tmp/busybox': No such file or directory
    failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/system/tmp/Superuser.apk': No such file or d
    irectory
    /data/local/tmp/sh: not found[*] Cleaning up...
    rm: permission denied[*] Rebooting...[*] Root complete, enjoy![*] Press any key to exit.
    Press any key to continue . . .

What exactly did I break and how do I fix it?
    Last edited by mp3coupe; 01-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Well I rolled the dice and everything is back to normal. I followed the directions in this post to reflash

I now have a data dir and was able to root the phone again. I don't know if certain blocks get written to, or if I'll have future problems if LG rolls out an update.

I don't recommend going into the secret menu and deleting data, it doesn't get replaced without a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by omarnova View Post
    No

Quote Originally Posted by packers pro View Post
    No
    sucks, i would think there would be since this is a decent phone
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast