Sprint LG Marquee Root

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thinking about trying to root the Marquee... So far this is a bit sketchy though. Half of the drivers for the LG phone do not even work... Still feeling this out...

Drivers not available:
CDC Serial
B - Project

I also do not have an 'internet connection mode' option.

When usb cable plugged, should I choose just charge or mass storage?
I tried both options, but the run.bat halt in this stage for long time

[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

I had the usb debug enabled, installed the LG driver and restarted the pc.

How to Root.
Try these drivers here: (thx again to tcaudill01)

LG USB drivers here: LGUnitedMobileDriver_S4981MAN32AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.2.1_2.exe

Your device must be in USB Debugging mode. To turn it on, go to Settings > Applications > Development and check the box. Note that you can only select this while the phone is unplugged.

After installing the USB drivers connect the phone to the PC.
Pull down the notification bar at the top of the phones screen and click on USB Connected.
Set the phone to Internet Connection mode (CHARGE ONLY not Mass Storage).

Download LG_Esteem_Root.zip

Unpack and open run.bat

How to Unroot
Use root explorer and delete superuser.apk from the /system/app folder. Go to the Android market and download and install super user. Use root explorer again and delete su from /system/bin. Go to the market and uninstall super user.

Do a factory reset & you will be back to square one.

Gerbilkit

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Also thanks. Being new to Android with a more obscure phone I thought I might run into trouble rooting but following these instructions it was completely painless.

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Very well written and great for everyone, especially the noobs.
If we ever get far enough along to do a Marquee FAQ, we need to place your instructions at the front.

Reactions: nosajsam

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell us exactly what we can achieve with rooting?
E.g., hotspot tethering?

With root on this phone you gain use of any app that requires SU permissions.

Hotspot tethering is easily achieved using root, tho in this case is not required. (Check out post #8 HERE and thank tim)
If you want the root method program, thats HERE

Other programs that require root?

DroidWall - Which allows you to restrict network access to certain programs. Why? Because it uses your data and your battery. This allows you to control how much and when.

Permissions Denied - Allows you to pick and choose the permissions allowed by your apps. Why is this important? Because your apps don't always NEED the permissions they ask for. They sometimes use those permissions to gain access to your contacts and send texts back to the programmer. With this program, you allow only the permissions you want. Its no longer all-or-nothing.

Titanium Backup Root - Allows Many things including freezing programs (more effective at saving battery life than killing them). Also allows you to back up your programs and batch re-install them if you change roms or do a recovery**

Root Explorer - Root Explorer is the ultimate file manager for root users. Access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder). Who Cares? Anyone trying to gain access to folders that would otherwise be locked down by the OS.

There are many others including Terminal Emulator and the list goes on and on, but it all comes down to you...the user. Is there anything you feel like your missing while not rooted? For some, rooting isnt a big deal. For me it is.

I'm hoping I helped answer your question. If you have more feel free to ask.

**custom recovery like CWM isn't available for this phone yet, but it will also be a benefit to rooting when it is.

Reactions: snap323

dracodoc

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
About the non-root method of tethering, I'd met some problem. Through the LG.hiddenmenu of launcher pro, I can use the built in hot spot to tether, but I cannot access internet from Marquee itself later. I have to launch the hidden menu, select the DUN again and reboot. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my special case.

Some advantages from root:

1. tether
2. you can take screen shot. No joke, there is no simple method to take screen shot before root.
3. you can use Titianium backup to freeze bloatware. I don't think it's a good idea to uninstall them, because you may need them when there is a upgrade available, or there could be something broken if you uninstall them. With bloatware frozen, they will not be updated or appear in background.

liltunechi420

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I was using metamorph to apply a theme, and all went blank and wouldn't turn back on. I than put it in a recovery mode..? with the power+volume down button and went to wipe data/factory reset, did that, and reseted cache. Nothing happens and it just stays at the lg boot screen.. any help please?

dadaR6

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

I have the LG Marquee and I noticed some people were able to use Wireless Tether. But in my case, I am always getting "ad-hoc failed" when using Wireless Tether (2.0.7 or 3.1 beta 6). Anything special to do?

farfromuman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone successfully and I have full root access on the phone but I cannot get root access via ADB Shell. Would we need a custom ROM to enable that?

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone successfully and I have full root access on the phone but I cannot get root access via ADB Shell. Would we need a custom ROM to enable that?

You should be able to access the phone through adb shell if the phone has "debug" active and you select the "charge only" option when you connect it to the USB cable. Also, make sure you have the correct drivers installed on your PC.

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble unrooting. Says I cannot delete the required files. Am I missing something?

From Page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajsam View Post
can anyone talk me through how to delete Superuser once installed?

I cant seem to remove it.
i figured it out. (I found this on androidforums.com)

Use root explorer and delete superuser.apk from the /system/app folder. Go to the Android market and download and install super user. Use root explorer again and delete su from /system/bin. Go to the market and uninstall super user.

did a factory reset & now I am back to square one.

wartorn

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried deleting the superuser.apk and the su files, but the program won't allow it. Do I have to use root explorer or will any file management app work (I'm using a free one atm)?

snap323

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried deleting the superuser.apk and the su files, but the program won't allow it. Do I have to use root explorer or will any file management app work (I'm using a free one atm)?

In my limited experience, it's gotta be Root Explorer, the $3.99 one. Four bucks, but then again, maybe having an unrooted phone is worth a cheaper beer :)

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you have access in root explorer set to r/w and not to r/o. This is easily over looked and will result in the problem you are experiencing.

Reactions: wartorn

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463