Sprint E O L 's the Marquee in April...

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Looks like they plan to take a step back...?

Not really. LG phones usually tend to fall in the lower-middle tier. The Marquee was a great phone overall, but the whole wasn't equal to the sum of the parts. I suspect its design and development were based on what parts where on sale at the time more so than a phone being designed from the ground up.

For happy Marquee owners the spiritual successor is the LG Viper:

4" WVGA display
1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor
3G/4G LTE
4GB ROM/512MB RAM
Android 2.3
5MP rear camera w/flash; VGA front camera

These would be awesome specs 2 years ago, but against:
5.3" WXGA Super AMOLED
1.4Ghz quad-core processor
16GB ROM/1GB RAM
ICS
8MP rear camera w/flash & autofocus; 2MP front camera

phones from Samsung and Motorola it seems a little dated.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
For happy Marquee owners the spiritual successor is the LG Viper:

4" WVGA display
1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor
3G/4G LTE
4GB ROM/512MB RAM
Android 2.3
5MP rear camera w/flash; VGA front camera

... it seems a little dated.

Ah..I forgot about the viper. Maybe I dismissed it because I'm a $40 SERO guy and the jump into 4G isn't worth the extra $10 per month to me yet. Maybe by 2013, but not yet.

So i agree with you. The Optimus Ultra seems to be the successor for the Optimus S more than the Marquee. I think the NFC is a nice touch, but feel the same way about it that I do about Sprints LTE. Thats great ...for the future, but theres nothing really exciting about it for me now. Most retailers arent set up to use it(nfc) anyway.

But getting back to the Marquee replacement... as a $40 sero guy, i wouldn't give up the Marquee for a Viper...at least not until I read a few reviews about Sprints LTE and made sure I had coverage in my area.

Kind-of a quick run for the Marquee...
IIRC.... I think it only came out in October of '11...so 6 months seems like a short life

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I know of the $40 SERO ghetto of which you speak. While it's sad to see phones in that tier EOL'd, it's kind of exciting to think about what Sprint will bump down. Remember, at one time Android phones weren't available to SERO customers. I suspect that since WiMax devices have now been, "betamaxed" by Sprint we'll soon be seeing the models Sprint has trouble liquidating magically becoming available for SERO-premium plans.

Guppeh

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I know of the $40 SERO ghetto of which you speak. While it's sad to see phones in that tier EOL'd, it's kind of exciting to think about what Sprint will bump down.

Huh. I just upgraded to $40 SERO and bought a Marquee off Ebay. I imagine the moment something else gets approved for SERO-P, Marquee resale prices will nose-dive. On the bright side, since I bought my phone outright, my upgrade subsidy remains intact.

On the downside, even cheap 3G-only phones like the Kyocera Milano and ZTE Fury remain off-limits to $40 SERO. I doubt that the WIMAX-phones will get bumped down unless they truly have staggering piles of them left in the warehouse.

KMfiremedic111

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
What does E O L mean? I am guessing that it means sprint is throwing the only 5 month old Marquee into the gutter? Typical for android phones. I should have bought an iPhone. That has longevity.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
What does E O L mean?

End of Life. It means that there will be no more software updates and that parts and accessories are going to get much harder to find.

The early retirement of the Marquee is a DIRECT result of Sprint's 4G u-turn. Under the old WiMax regime, some areas were 3G-only and some legacy plans charge extra for 4G service (SERO, Free and Clear, Everything Plus, etc.). It made sense to have 3G-only phones for the customers who didn't want to pay the extra $10/mo. for 4G service they couldn't use.

Under the Network Vision (LTE) regime all towers that currently provide 3G service will provide 4G LTE service so ALL CUSTOMERS are now eligible to pay the extra $10/mo. for 4G service. With Sprint's unholy pact with the Fruitphone, the 3G network is now overloaded and customers are complaining about slow data speeds. Retiring the 3G-only smartphones without a fruit logo will take pressure off the 3G network as customers have to choose between feature phones that use less data and 4G smartphones.

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
For the folks who got in under the wire - folks with a legacy plan not paying for 4G service who picked up the Marquee or other 3G phone - congratulations. You'll not only save $10/mo. until they pry your phone from your cold, dead hands - you'll also enjoy 3G speeds around 9Mbps when the Vision Network rolls out in your area, faster than most WiMax devices today.

For the folks who don't have a legacy plan but got a Marquee anyway - you'll get the 9Mbps data speeds and gain a guaranteed resale value of at least what you paid for your Marquee for the reasons cited in the first paragraph.

KMfiremedic111

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
That explains a lot. Especially the painfully slow data speeds. I have been with sprint for 12 years and when I got my marquee in November I was forced into the extra $10 even though my phone is not 4g capable. I wasn't legacy'ed into it. Still wish I had a "fruit phone" Tired of getting new android phones and promised updates to newest OS only for it to be EOL 6-9 months later. Turn around time is way too soon. Every month there is a bigger and better one to replace it. No consistency.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Can Sprint 3g do 9MBps on the new 3g network?

To add a bit more to that, there was a rumor a few months ago that sprint would be upgrading its cell sites to evdo rev b, which you can think of as multi carrier rev a (that is, multiple 1.25 MHz channels bonded) among other enhancements. As far as I know, sprint never confirmed that evdo b was part of network vision - consolidating cell sites to cosited lte, 1x and evdo a and enhancing back haul being the key elements of that.

If sprint is spectrum constrained now going from evdo a to b won't help all that much, remember that the spectrum is spread among many customers so if you can imagine an average tower with 20 active users in its serviced geography and the tower has stacked cells or say 3 1.25 MHz forward channels available, those active users are going to see no more than about 3.1 mbps x 3 / 20 = 0.465 Mbps. Bonding those three channels will keep the observed performance at 9.3 x 3 / 20 = 0.465 Mbps presuming the same order modulation. (there is actually some efficiency improvement but it's on the order of 10%). If you happened to run across an unloaded tower yes, you could see 9 Mbps if they are switching to rev b and have 3 carriers available.

But that's not currently sprints problem as I understand it. The problem is too many users in too little spectrum.

And, again, I'd only ever heard rumors about sprint using rev b, I'd not seen anything official. Could be wrong, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
SVDO can. See video here.

Notice most of the thread comments that the speed would be due to rev b rather than svdo, and that sprint never said that it was going to deploy rev b. though I say this having only read the xda comments and not yet watched the video, but video exists demonstrating clear on lte and lte-advanced test equipment delivering 950 Mbps from a single cell over 3x20 MHz, but that's not deployed network, just a single cell test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guppeh

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
End of Life. It means that there will be no more software updates and that parts and accessories are going to get much harder to find.

Fortunately, most parts intended for the Optimus Black will also work for the Marquee, so third-party accessories will be available for as long as the P970 remains popular. Too bad about the end of software updates, though (at least they gave us one last update, which fixed some bugs and stability issues).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy