Photon 4G to Photon Q 4GLTE

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking about this for a while and would like some opinions on the Photon Q. I have a non rooted Photon 4G and would like to know if switching to the Q would be worth the upgrade. (If you need more details I can try to provide them.)

lcchick

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you want the physical keyboard? Thats a great reason to switch. There's a nice review of one person's switch from photon to the q in this forum. (its not mine, i came from the Epic)

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have mixed feelings about a physical keyboard. I bought my first moto phone for boost mobile (motorola i465, dont ever get that phone), and that had a qwerty on it, but then after deciding the rates were too high i switched back to sprint under my parents account and got the photon 4g and fell in love with it. But i want a better phone. I know im gonna have to wait until my contract with sprint ends in dec next year to swap for the Q, and i was wondering if switching to the Q would be a good idea or if i should wait until there is a newer version of the photon.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

rswimports

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have the Photon and my Wife has The Q. the keyboard is great but it has ICS and wont get JellyBean and FoxFi does not work on it. other then that no problems so far and she loves it and says it's the best phone she's had. hope that helps

dsx968

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the Photon and my Wife has The Q. the keyboard is great but it has ICS and wont get JellyBean and FoxFi does not work on it. other then that no problems so far and she loves it and says it's the best phone she's had. hope that helps

The Q is getting jellybean. The original photon however will not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Now that I have seen the N4, I have decided on getting that instead. I am gettimg a bit tired of Sprint, and after hearing multiple stories of Motorola mistreating its customers, i feel that moving to the Nexus will give me some freedom to do what more of what I want with my phone.

Motorola Photon 4G

Eric Fenstermaker

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had both. They are both good phones albeit the Q LTE is faster and will be upgraded to at least Jellybean. If I were you, unless you live in one of the Sprint LTE areas, keep the 4G for now since your data speeds will suffer until LTE is deployed in your area; the Photon Q LTE does not support the old 4G network. When LTE is available in more places, then I would do the upgrade. I am sorry I didn't wait since I will lose 4G speeds for at least a year in my area.

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had both. They are both good phones albeit the Q LTE is faster and will be upgraded to at least Jellybean. If I were you, unless you live in one of the Sprint LTE areas, keep the 4G for now since your data speeds will suffer until LTE is deployed in your area; the Photon Q LTE does not support the old 4G network. When LTE is available in more places, then I would do the upgrade. I am sorry I didn't wait since I will lose 4G speeds for at least a year in my area.

In my area the best i get is 3G on Sprint. Not to mention the nearest sprint store is out of town.

Motorola Photon 4G

Marty C Sebrell

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you but your wrong on the Photon Q not getting jelly bean. It is starting to roll out between March and April of 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol