1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Overheating

I bought a Photon Q 4G LTE recently. It's a keyboard slide-out phone for Sprint. It has a 1.5GHz dual core processor.

AmazonWireless: Motorola Photon Q 4G Android Phone (Sprint)

That is the phone, except I bought it from Best Buy Mobile.

So basically I have normal (not hot) temperatures when letting it charge or just texting, replying, putting it down and replying when another text comes in. But the moment I start browsing on the internet a lot it gets hot. When I play videos it doesn't get very hot and stays warm or a bit cool. I find this odd because the heat isn't consistent and just goes on an outburst at random usage times. Now it doesn't overheat randomly, it only overheats randomly under moderate use which I find weird, shouldn't it get hot all the time when using it a lot? But yea, I want to know if this is getting out of hand and I should send it to Sprint to be inspected.

Temperature after heat outburst happened: 104f or 40c.(on charger)
    Temperature at peak of heat outburst: 117f or 47c (on charger)

I put it on the charger afterwards because it needs to charge and it was getting hot a while now, not sure.

I now found an app to measure the temperature just now so I'm sorry for not getting any results for previous outbursts. What is a safe range, is this normal? How can I fix this at home? And finally, if not, should I take it to a Sprint store right away? Or...

ALSO: What are good battery practices to ensure my battery lasts me a good 2 years until my next upgrade? Thanks! (:
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Overheating

Where did you find the Temperature App? I just had my phone get so hot it dropped a phone call =(

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Overheating

Quote Originally Posted by Shylittleone81 View Post
    Where did you find the Temperature App? I just had my phone get so hot it dropped a phone call =(

Posted via Android Central App
    Get CPU-Z. it's great for this sort of thing. I found the problem mostly. If your device is having a bad connection, it will boost the power to try and make a stable connection, which not only drains battery but it also overheats. The max safe temp is about 120f. So long as it doesn't go over, then you should be fine. It should also shut down upon critical temperatures. If you're still worried, take it to the store. Try and record temperatures too, that will help them. Good luck! (: Anyone have any good battery practices for me though? Also. When fully charged but still plugged in and watching movies, does it damage the battery or does it draw directly from the AC adapter?