eBay dock?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
There's a nice dock on eBay that will also charge a spare battery.

Has anyone tried it yet? It also claims USB sync for the PC.

dsx-i9020-03.jpg

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've ordered one for my EVO, and I haven't yet received it since March. I forgot the (rule of thumb) on eBay. You have 45 days in-which to file an investigation to either be compensated or received the item purchased.

Just remember this if you choose to buy anything. Ps. This doc look a lot nicer than the one for the htc Evo

ramk13

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I was interested in it too until I realized that it blocks the audio jack on the bottom of the phone. thats a deal breaker for me. Still a good price for a dock that fits though (assuming that it fits).

The only dock that I can find that has the audio jack open is the stock samsung one, but that one is 40 dollars.

Last edited:

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I opted for this one instead as I really haven't needed a spare battery yet (I'm getting a day and a half with my NS4G).

$(KGrHqN,!isE2KVwNUjcBNlQJm0Iiw~~0_12.JPG

It was also half the price at $13. I will report back when it arrives.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I will report back when it arrives.

So it looks just like it's advertised. It's probably a bit more bulky than other upright docks, but ceratinly not as large as a horizontal dock. It holds the phone in there a little more upright than the docks I've used before. This isn't a problem as I use it bed side mostly - it even helps a little bit.

It also holds the phone in there pretty snug. A couple of times it's actually been a little difficult to get the phone out to answer a call. This is good when I'm a bit clumsy in the morning fumbling for my glasses. Finding the docks Micro USB plug can be a little difficult in the dark though....

It does have a bright blue LED light that stays lit when the charger is plugged in - even when the phone is not in the charger. It's located behind the phone and not in the front, so the phone can hide it if you're using it at night. I'm sure I'll cover that LED at some point as it annoys me that it's lit 24-7 and not just when the phone is plugged in. Would have been a much better design, but beggars can't be choosers for $13.

It has a USB cable attached to it at all times and has a separate port for a Micro USB wall plug, which is included. I haven't used the included wall plug, as I use a USB wall plug adapter and charge multiple devices. The attached plug charges as "rapidly" as the stock charger - I say that tongue in cheek as they're both relatively slow compared to other devices I've used.

It has worked fine with USB storage transfers and USB debugging.

All in all I'm satisfied at $13 and will probably buy another one for my office.

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So it looks just like it's advertised. It's probably a bit more bulky than other upright docks, but ceratinly not as large as a horizontal dock. It holds the phone in there a little more upright than the docks I've used before. This isn't a problem as I use it bed side mostly - it even helps a little bit.

It also holds the phone in there pretty snug. A couple of times it's actually been a little difficult to get the phone out to answer a call. This is good when I'm a bit clumsy in the morning fumbling for my glasses. Finding the docks Micro USB plug can be a little difficult in the dark though....

It does have a bright blue LED light that stays lit when the charger is plugged in - even when the phone is not in the charger. It's located behind the phone and not in the front, so the phone can hide it if you're using it at night. I'm sure I'll cover that LED at some point as it annoys me that it's lit 24-7 and not just when the phone is plugged in. Would have been a much better design, but beggars can't be choosers for $13.

It has a USB cable attached to it at all times and has a separate port for a Micro USB wall plug, which is included. I haven't used the included wall plug, as I use a USB wall plug adapter and charge multiple devices. The attached plug charges as "rapidly" as the stock charger - I say that tongue in cheek as they're both relatively slow compared to other devices I've used.

It has worked fine with USB storage transfers and USB debugging.

All in all I'm satisfied at $13 and will probably buy another one for my office.

Does the phone enter "dock mode" when using this cradle? Does the clock screen automatically come on?

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No.

But I have an NFC chip programmed to take my phone into my preferred night mode anyway. God, I love this phone...

Me too, and would appreciate an explanation of how you work the chip, where you get it, how it works with the phone plus the dock, etc. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

jACK

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
What you need to do is to get a writable NFC tag. Then you can download an app called NFC Task Launcher from market place. Then you would create a task and specify what you want to do. For example mine does the following:

Disable all sounds except for phone ringtone and alarm
Increase volume on ringtone and alarm to maximum.
Disable bluetooth
Launch Clock application

Then once you are satisfied with the task you write it to the tag.
I have the tag with adhesive back and I applied it to my night stand so before I sleep i turn screen on my phone, move the phone over the tag and it does what is defined on the tag.
What I did on mine also is programmed dual action tag. So first time I swipe it, it does what is listed above and on second time It enables bluetooth and adjusts volume back to normal

Works great

Oh and tags I got 8 different tags from here: http://www.adafruit.com/category/55 came out to be under $30 shipped and I got different shapes and sizes just to play around with.

Reactions: JarffVC

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
What you need to do is to get a writable NFC tag. Then you can download an app called NFC Task Launcher from market place. Then you would create a task and specify what you want to do. For example mine does the following:

Disable all sounds except for phone ringtone and alarm
Increase volume on ringtone and alarm to maximum.
Disable bluetooth
Launch Clock application

Then once you are satisfied with the task you write it to the tag.
I have the tag with adhesive back and I applied it to my night stand so before I sleep i turn screen on my phone, move the phone over the tag and it does what is defined on the tag.
What I did on mine also is programmed dual action tag. So first time I swipe it, it does what is listed above and on second time It enables bluetooth and adjusts volume back to normal

Works great

Oh and tags I got 8 different tags from here: RFID / NFC : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits came out to be under $30 shipped and I got different shapes and sizes just to play around with.

is this difficult to do?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
is this difficult to do?

No. Couldn't be easier actually.

Watch this video: YouTube - ‪NFC Task Launcher 2.4 - Demo‬‏

I purchased my tags from Finland for a third of the price ($12 shipped). Took about a week to arrive.

TagAge Shop | TagAge

While you're waiting for your chips, read this thread:

[APP] 6/6 NFC Task Launcher - 2.8.0 Released - xda-developers

And check out the developers site:

NFC Task Launcher

I have profile tags for my car dock, my home wifi, my night dock and for when I'm at work (and of course a Default setting for when I'm in between each of these locations). I switch between each of these with a simple swipe over the tag as I'm going out the door or docking/undocking.

Reactions: eddieras

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
are there particular tags you recommend?

I purchased 6 of these:

Mifare Ultralight Round 25mm | TagAge

And 4 of these:

Mifare Classic (Standard) Round 40 mm / Out of stock,replaced with 3002127, 38 mm | TagAge

But they're out of the second one's so get these one's (they're smaller anyway):

Mifare Classic (Standard) Round 38 mm | TagAge

The ultralight's are 64kb and are perfect for most profile tags. I bought the larger one's in case the tags needed to be larger than 64kb (Tasker users, for example, have put them to use). I haven't quite gotten there yet, but maybe someday I'll create a super tag to rule them all.

They're good for 100K write/re-write's so it's fun to have some around just to play around with.

Reactions: JarffVC

eddieras

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
took me a while -but i just ordered some tags! i'm sure i'll be back for some tips and advice- thanks again for your help.

JarffVC

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
There's a nice dock on eBay that will also charge a spare battery.

Has anyone tried it yet? It also claims USB sync for the PC.

dsx-i9020-03.jpg

I opted for this one instead as I really haven't needed a spare battery yet (I'm getting a day and a half with my NS4G).

$(KGrHqN,!isE2KVwNUjcBNlQJm0Iiw~~0_12.JPG

It was also half the price at $13. I will report back when it arrives.

What are the outputs on these cradles? I ordered the Fosman cradle from amazon, which has since disappeared, and my phone got flakey after sitting in it all night. The touchscreen didn't want to respond and the clock app FC'd when I hit snooze after running all night. I looked at the power adapter and discovered that it's output was 5v and 1amp. The Samsung charger has an output of 5v and .7amp. It uses a mini-usb cable to plug into the cradle so I was able to use an old blackberry charger (5v, .7amp) allowing me to keep my samsung charger and cable in my laptop bag where I want it. Since I changed out the power supply it's run flawlessly.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
What are the outputs on these cradles?

I can't speak for the cradle with the extra battery slot as I never purchased that one.

However, the one without the battery slot has a dedicated (ie, undetachable) USB cable that I plug into the Samsung plug that came with the phone. It doesn't cause any problems with functionality of the phone when in the dock.

I have, however, used the included micro-USB plug (separate cord all together) that came with the dock as a stand alone charger, and when the phone is plugged into that I experience the same touchscreen issues you described with your dock. I never knew why, but your explanation makes sense.

Therefore, I suggest using the above dock with the Samsung plug and not the separate micro-USB plug that comes with the dock. It's as if your phone is plugged into the OEM charger.