Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Default Samsung Nexus S Multimedia Desktop Dock

Just received my Dock in the mail and thought I would post my initial impressions....

It's a Dock. it works. Docking the Nexus S automatically places the phone into "Clock" mode in landscape. It initially displays the Time, day, date, weather and battery status (%). There is a toggle in the upper right hand of the screen which toggles for bright room vs dark room. When set to the Bright Room setting the live wallpaper continues to run, but when set to the Dark Room (i.e. dimmer) setting the live wallpaper does not display.

across the bottom of the display are 4 "buttons" which are for setting your click alarms, setting up your slideshow display, playing your music, or going to the Home Screen.

A small blue LED on the dock itself shows the phone is charging.

The phone turns itself "off" after a minute of non-use, meaning that a green LED clock displays just the time, day, and date and seems to occasionally, randomly move around the face of the phone (must be to avoid burn-in?).

Hitting the power button does turn the phone screen completely off, even in the dock.

Answering the phone while docked automatically implements the speaker phone unless you pick the phone up or are using a bluetooth headset.

Notifications display normally.

Oddly, if you leave the screen on any of the home screens or most other apps (rather than the Clock app or a media app like Netflix or HBO Go) the screen turns off completely when the screen shut-off timer kicks in (rather than reverting to the clock). Multimedia like YouTube, HBO Go and Netflix stream just fine while docked.

The micro usb cable that comes with the unit is directly attached to the wall plug and is inserted at the back of the unit.

There is no audio plug on the dock itself, so if you want to stream or play music or audio through external speakers you will have to utilize the headphone jack on the phone, which is accessible while docked.

Here are some pics of the unit:

Overall I like it. Kinda pricey at $39.99 but I paid more than that for my touchstones when I was on my Pre, and the dock is WAY more functional than the touchstone ever was. Not much less convenient, either.

One last note: The dock DOES work in portrait mode as well...same stuff, just in portrait view. Is kinda top heavy though, and the headphone jack would need a "L" shaped plug to fit in there in that orientation.

Jack

Why is this called a multimedia dock? I like everything but the name

I've been very interested in picking up a dock as my phone is already my alarm clock. Thanks for taking as many pictures as you did very helpful!

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

Any ideas if i can fit NS4G with incipio feather case?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kalex1114 View Post
    Any ideas if i can fit NS4G with incipio feather case?
    I honestly cannot say. The phone, with no case or skin fit snug, but not tight. I looked at the incipio case, which seems extremely thin. My best guess is that it would slide in there, but again....until you try there's no way to be 100% sure. Perhaps email Incipio and ask them....

Good luck.

Jack

Thanks for posting! Too bad it won't work with cases though...

I like it! If I keep this phone I'm getting one. Thanks for the review.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,687 Global Posts

Thanks. Have you tried to hook it up to your PC?

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Thanks, very useful review. I played around with one of them at my local best buy store and I loved it. I am going to buy one, only problem is that i don't know what kind of protection I can use, if any, with my phone, which I badly need it thanks to my five year old kid.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM4DXGB, Stock Rooted,

I keep my phone in a Seidio Innocase so I wont be able to use this

The Seidio dock is ok, but it doesn't trigger the "dock mode".
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." ~ D.N.A.

I checked Samsung's website and a few other places, but it isn't available. Where did you order your dock?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

I got mine here:

Nexus S GT-I9020T Desktop Dock | Samsung Mobile

samsung's website under cell phone accessories......

for what it's worth I still see it as available......

Thanks. Just ordered mine. I got it 20% with free shipping. Use the coupon code "SPRING2011" at checkout.

I have it already, and really like it. It even reduces the charging time by about 20%.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Just got mine and I really like it, but the screen won't time out until 5 minutes have passed when docked. My screen time out is set for 1 minute. Any ideas how to change the screen timeout when docked?

Anyone? I was using the travel charger that came with the phone and changed to the USB cord that cane with the dock, but that didn't work. Screen (while docked) still won't timeout until 5 min pass.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Nothing I have tried changes the 5 minute timer on transitioning to the LED clock screen.

Thanks for your response. That's too bad...annoying, but still a great dock. Please let be know if you come across a solution.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

i hate that when you cant use stuff like this with a case on

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I've had the desktop cradle for a week now and like it. It is easy to put the phone on and off the stand. There are no display quirks or charging/alarm quirks. Any type of case on the phone probably will cause fit problems to the cradle. I bought it at best buy for $39.

I have noticed a few fine scratches on the back of my phone since using the dock, so be careful all. I also have a Rearth Ringke case, but I don't think that would cause the scratches.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Nexus S Multimedia Desktop Dock

Samsung indicates the app Desk Home is available to work with this dock. I do not see this app in the market. A few forums show this to be a problem for many others too. Is this app required to get the clock or other features to work?
    Thanked by: