[?] What steps are necessary fot a rooted phone to accept OTAs?

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I come from the webOS world where everything was developer friendly, only thing you needed to worry about was patches and kernels during a OTA update... so thus brings me here.

I know this has likly been answered somewhere. I've done some searching and I can't really find a stright up simple answer. Most people reference having really played with the phone. I'm simple..

I have a Nexus S 4G on sprint, and I did the root guide to gain root access. I have installed a few apps that require root, IE; Remove Ads, File Manager, Tether App. Nothing fancy. My boot loader is still unlocked and as far as I know, I never made the clockwork recovery mod stick (didn't mind reflashing it each time).

So at this point when google/sprint releases a update for this phone. Will I need to A. Lock Bootloader, B. Unroot? C. Reset my phone to Stock using related guides on xda-developers.

Again I haven't installed any fancy kernals, roms, overclocks etc. Just a few root apps.

And finally, once a update would be applied OTA, would I need to re-root and would said method be identical to how it was done before.

Thanks for the quick answers :)

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure about having to relock the bootloader, seems like having the stock recovery would suffice, no you don't have to unroot but yes if you take the OTA you will have to gain root again same method

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information, I have no problem with re-rooting as needed.

Another question, when you call it "stock recovery". Currently if I hold the volume up and power the phone boots into the "service menu?". And the recovery option is available. If I click that (just curious), I first get a little setup box which quickly changes to a android icon and a yellow triangle exclamation point thing. It stays there. Is this normal?

I was just playing around to double check if my clockwork wasn't there as I thought.

?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Upcoming software update and rooted users

For those of us that are rooted but running the stock rom and kernel, will we be able to just do the OTA update that is coming? I know on non-nexus phones it was always advisable to wait for a rooted rom of the newest update but not sure on a Nexus what is advisable.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [?] What steps are necessary fot a rooted phone to accept OTA

Yes that is the stock recovery at the triangle/android press volume up and power at the same time it will bring you another menu, and no you don't have to wait for a pre rooted version as with other devices, the nexus has OEM unlock so no need to find an exploit for root access.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Yes that is the stock recovery at the triangle/android press volume up and power at the same time it will bring you another menu, and no you don't have to wait for a pre rooted version as with other devices, the nexus has OEM unlock so no need to find an exploit for root access.

I had read that, but when I tried all it seemed to do was reboot the phone. I didn't try alot but eh.

Thanks for all the information guys :). Especially for us Simple Folk. Good to know as long as I haven't done any extensive modding all I have to do is re-root upon a ota. This phone is already flawless, no need to do anything else.

Best I could want is LED Notifications, but ill live heh.

bkrasso

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You only need to go back to stock if you want to get the OTA update.

You dont have to go back to stock rom and unroot your phone though. People over at XDA will provide a way to flash the new stock rom for rooted and non rooted that can be applied yourself and normally this will be done before the OTAs are even rolling out.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

You dont have to go back to stock rom and unroot your phone though. People over at XDA will provide a way to flash the new stock rom for rooted and non rooted that can be applied yourself and normally this will be done before the OTAs are even rolling out.

I hope so...seems like every time an OTA comes out there are about 50 threads that start all saying something different. I was hoping to avoid that with this phone.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

So then what your saying is; YES we need to unroot before a OTA (from the provider)?

Again I have a stock recovery, stock rom, and stock kernal. Only installed root. I don't care if I have to re-root. Im not looking for a fancy gotta have it now update flash. Im fine with OTA and waiting. So I HAVE to remove root before a OTA? Yes or No?

Last edited:

crailey01

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Updates on 7/11/2011.....

Will I be able to download and install the updates for my NS4G if I'm rooted? I was unable to install GB on my Evo 4G when it was released because of root. Just wondering whether or not I need to unroot. Thanks!

gtpimp97

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

To throw another wrench in the plans, I am rooted with stock rom and netarchy kernel. I really hate to lose all my apps. time to get titanium backup pro i guess

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

I have searched and this seems the best place to ask - how to relock the bootloader.

Mine is unlocked, Sprint won't insure or touch, giving it to my daughter and want to relock so if she has issues she can go to Service Center.

I know I've read this somewhere, checked and can't find. Yes, I have files to return to stock (it is stock), but that keeps it unlocked.

They were so ****ty when I had an issue and took it in unlocked, they noted my account, so dropped tep. Then, first time in 13 years, I actually cracked my screen, had to buy one off Craigs List. Fortunately, found a
3rd party vendor that repairs, $35, but has to order and wait.j

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

You shouldnt need to unroot. There will be a rooted version of the rom you can just flash, but as for the radio update, im not sure. Hopefully it will be flashable.

Ill make a little write up once the update is out.

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site

I have searched and this seems the best place to ask - how to relock the bootloader.

Mine is unlocked, Sprint won't insure or touch, giving it to my daughter and want to relock so if she has issues she can go to Service Center.

I know I've read this somewhere, checked and can't find. Yes, I have files to return to stock (it is stock), but that keeps it unlocked.

They were so ****ty when I had an issue and took it in unlocked, they noted my account, so dropped tep. Then, first time in 13 years, I actually cracked my screen, had to buy one off Craigs List. Fortunately, found a

[NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers That should get you what you want.

Reactions: nmoreman

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

fastboot oem lock

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Correct me if im wrong, but if we re-lock the loader then unlock again. Doesn't it wipe the SD... ?

I guess my current plan is to wait for the OTA with my root unlocked and take the update? lol. Seems no one can give me a stright answer with just a plain root on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1