Root without using custom recovery or rom.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to get my nexus. Can I root without using a custom recovery or rom? I just need root to run a couple apps. That's it.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can, that's exactly what I did. I wanted to use two, Roam Control in particular, our vacation home is on a terrible Sprint area so I force Roam on weekends.

Just unlock, push Superuser to your phone and the crespo4g recovery, not the rooted rom. So mine is stock if laid side by side to another, but have full root access just in case.

And this is the first time I have ever kept a phone stock, it is so smooth and fast, there is no need for the roms I always used, and had to maintain and put up with little bugs, just to have better battery life.

Or at least that is my opinion;)

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can, that's exactly what I did. I wanted to use two, Roam Control in particular, our vacation home is on a terrible Sprint area so I force Roam on weekends.

Just unlock, push Superuser to your phone and the crespo4g recovery, not the rooted rom. So mine is stock if laid side by side to another, but have full root access just in case.

And this is the first time I have ever kept a phone stock, it is so smooth and fast, there is no need for the roms I always used, and had to maintain and put up with little bugs, just to have better battery life.

Or at least that is my opinion;)
Yeah I just went back to stock.......I've been running ROM's and Kernels since the phone came out....forgot how smooth and stable stock is;)
I do believe you still need the custom recovery. Once you flash superuser in recovery, you can then push the stock recovery back to the phone. You almost wanna keep the custom recovery tho. you never know when you might need to flash something. Its quicker and simpler then pushing adb commands.

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Ohhhhhhhhhhh .......so you probably used unrevoked hunh? This is nothing like that:'(

First thing you want to do is download java, then the android sdk...links above

Only after java is installed, run the setup of the android sdk tools you downloaded. When you get to this step let me know
you'll be prompted to choose an install location for the files. For simplicity, delete whats highlighted and create a folder called android on your C: drive
should look like this C:\android then continue

Last edited:

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Ohhhhhhhhhhh .......so you probably used unrevoked hunh? This is nothing like that:'(

First thing you want to do is download java, then the android sdk...links above

Only after java is installed, run the setup of the android sdk tools you downloaded. When you get to this step let me know
you'll be prompted to choose an install location for the files. For simplicity, delete whats highlighted and create a folder called android on your C: drive
should look like this C:\android then continue
Gotta go for a minute.....be back shortly.....this forum's members are pretty good about helping each other. I'm sure you'll get the help you need..if not we'll continue when i gat back.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I don't have the nexus yet. Its in the mail.

I already have java and sdk installed. I had to root my sons optimus V.

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I don't have the nexus yet. Its in the mail.

I already have java and sdk installed. I had to root my sons optimus V.
That was a pain wasn't it......my daughters have Optimus S's and it was a pain rooting those at first. These are the phones that opened up the world of rooting for me.

All you need to do then (if you haven't already) is install the 2.3.3 package in SDK and follow the instructions in the guide. I'm sure it'll be a cinch for you having rooted an optimus v.
You're gonna love it. The Nexus S 4G kicks A$$.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Two tips that completely stopped me, then saw the light - be sure fastboot is in Platform Tools - I read and
read, and some of the downloads had files moved. Crespo recovery should be there also.

Then all said open command prompt - wouldn't work, spent a lot of time reading. Found its not the normal command prompt. Maybe others knew this, but open Command Prompt from Platform Tools, hold Shirt and right click.
These 2 "problems" along with after finally getting the drivers to load makes it a piece of cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy