Does MyBackupPro back up application data?

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone for the first time. WOOT!!! but in that process, i was expecting to lose everything on my SD card and my phone.

I downloaded backup pro which is what one of the websites recommend for people who don't have root yet. I was hoping it would save all my data from my games, paradise island, battle heart and angry birds.

The backup looked comprehensive but during restore, none of my app data was restored. only the APK. I specifically requested APK + DATA mode. This really bums me a lot since I just spend 2 months building my paradise island. 2 months!! I don't get where I went wrong. All my photos, settings, MMS, SMS, call logs all came through except for this!!!

what do I need to do in the future so this doesn't happen to me? Especially when I'm gonna be changing ROMS

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Did you try rebooting to see if the data was there afterwards? If that didn't work, then unfortunately you didn't correctly back it up to begin with (APK+DATA) - so when you tried to restore data, there was none to restore.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Did you try rebooting to see if the data was there afterwards? If that didn't work, then unfortunately you didn't correctly back it up to begin with (APK+DATA) - so when you tried to restore data, there was none to restore.

Yeah i tried rebooting. My backup file size was 700mb which i was skeptical. I should just dude a SD card copy to my computer to be safe. But Im positive that I pressed apk+data and i was watching it the whole time.

Where is the application data stored for instance save data of a video game? It really makes me deter from playing any games on my android dude this. Also, I know MybackupPro is suppose to back data from root users but is it only for Root users.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I reread your 1st post and I think I misunderstood you originally - you backed up before rooting? That is your problem. Root access is required to backup data. Without root access you can only backup apps. And to your other question - app data is stored in the "/data/data" directory.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I reread your 1st post and I think I misunderstood you originally - you backed up before rooting? That is your problem. Root access is required to backup data. Without root access you can only backup apps. And to your other question - app data is stored in the "/data/data" directory.

okay so I needed root access at the time to save application data? I thought it might of been stored on the SD card.

So for every person that buys a new phone and roots it, consider it lost (the data) the very first time?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So for every person that buys a new phone and roots it, consider it lost (the data) the very first time?

Actually, the Nexus is a special case. Most root methods on Android phones are exploits that were never intended to be used, and leave your phone exactly the same as it was after it is rooted. But since Google built the unlock method right into the phone for the Nexus, they also added the security of wiping it once unlocked. The GSM Nexus used to be able to use the Gingerbreak exploit, which rooted your phone without touching any data - but Google patched it before the CDMA (Sprint) Nexus came out.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
oh i see. I don't know if that makes me feel better that I have a special phone. It's like saying "hey kid, you're special so Im gonna beat you up, but feel proud of your status".

That makes sense because I have not heard of any other phones having this issue when all I'm doing is rooting. I find it kinda oxymoronic. but what's done is done.

Thanks for your assistance.