Root, unlocking and backup?

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I like to think of myself as a fairly smart person, but I just cannot get a grasp on what folks are talking about when it comes to rooting the phone. Your help and patience would be greatly appreciated!

I see people saying that rooting the phone doesn't wipe it, only when you unlock the bootloader. However, I can't find any guides for rooting that don't actually unlock the phone first.

So, if you have to unlock to root, and you wipe the phone when you unlock, how exactly can I back up my phone using something like Titanium Backup, since it requires root?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
On some devices you can root without losing your data like example my old device the Epic 4g.

I'm not 100% positive on all optional rooting methods on the NS4G but the guide provided below does wipe the device when unlocking the device.

[How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

There are quite a few methods out there I've found unlock and root the NS4G and I'm not sure if they all wipe during the unlocking process. [TIP]Most users look at starting with a clean slate when you unlock and root your device and normally don't carry over any old data other than your contacts/calender, etc that is linked to your Google account.[/TIP]

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to root without also unlocking. At least I haven't seen any guides for it. Every guide out there basically flashes a new ROM to accomplish it.

Just another way webOS is so far ahead of other OSes!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes that is what I'm told about WebOS. Unfortunately WebOS is on its way out the door the way it sounds.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I see here that you cannot root the Nexus S 4G without wiping the phone...

Actually, the Nexus is a special case. Most root methods on Android phones are exploits that were never intended to be used, and leave your phone exactly the same as it was after it is rooted. But since Google built the unlock method right into the phone for the Nexus, they also added the security of wiping it once unlocked. The GSM Nexus used to be able to use the Gingerbreak exploit, which rooted your phone without touching any data - but Google patched it before the CDMA (Sprint) Nexus came out.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Aside from using apps like MyBackup Pro (Paid app) which allows backups on non rooted devices. How much exactly it allows you to backup I'm not sure. You also have the option of SMS Backup and Restore for SMS msgs.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What's holding you back from rooting? What are you afraid of losing on your phone?

Yeah, that's a good point I guess. I suppose the only thing I'll lose are SMS messages, which I don't need, and have in GV anyway, and Game App data, which isn't a big deal to me either.

Otherwise, I'll just have to redownload my apps after the wipe, and the mail data will resync... And I can backup everything on the SD Card before and then restore that back.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Aside from using apps like MyBackup Pro (Paid app) which allows backups on non rooted devices. How much exactly it allows you to backup I'm not sure. You also have the option of SMS Backup and Restore for SMS msgs.

According to their writeup in the Market, they only support App Data on rooted devices.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's a good point I guess. I suppose the only thing I'll lose are SMS messages, which I don't need, and have in GV anyway, and Game App data, which isn't a big deal to me either.

Otherwise, I'll just have to redownload my apps after the wipe, and the mail data will resync... And I can backup everything on the SD Card before and then restore that back.
As long as you're aware of what you will lose beforehand and backup all that you can, I'd really think about going for it. If I recall correctly, you were looking into tethering too.

And then once you do root, you'll actually have more backup options so when Ice Cream Sandwich comes along, or if you have to un-root for whatever reason, you'll be in a better position.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I decided to go for it. Installed Pete's GRJ90. I'll get things backed up, and start playing with the ROMs I guess!
What method did you use?

Did you get your free tethering back?

Don't forget to add the new radio too along with 90.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I followed Pete's instructions using the command line. I had already installed the SDK on my Mac when we rooted my son's Optimus S to get rid of his low memory issues. I had to find fastboot on an HTC developer site, but it worked well. After unlocking, just flashed the clockwork recovery, then ran the update file and the tether fix. Yeah, I am just realizing that the radio fix isn't in his ROM, I'll have to do that update as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay