Can't unlock bootloader. Any ideas?

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I run Ubuntu Linux 11 and have the sdk with adb working. I had add the fastboot binary in to the sdk because fastboot was not in ANY part of the sdk. I can now open fastboot from terminal, but when I "./fastboot devices" nothing shows up.
When I "./fastboot OEM unlock" it just says sharrching for devices...

I have the phone in fastboot mode, USB debugging on/off, using stock data cable,

Any help from yous guys experienced with Linux and the Android sdk?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
try sudo ./fastboot oem unlock

Hmm, I just installed Ubuntu 11 on an old iMac I had. I haven't used the Android stuff I've installed. However, I tested to make sure the apps were there and "working". I don't think it will go through without sudo in the first place. I could be wrong. I think I remember it saying denied or something without sudo.

I just installed SDK for ADB (Fastboot I also got else where). I tested ADB and Shell worked so I assumed everything was working; but, did not try fastboot to see. Just gave it a run to see if it was working in terminal.

If you didn't I guess try Sudo maybe I'm wrong. But I would like to know what happens here since I too will probably run into the same issue, possibly.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You must sudo to give it rights, but also i had trouble getting it to unlock on ubuntu and even windows. You must have everything EXACTLY right.

Move fastboot from platform_tools into tools, thats what did the trick for me.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You must sudo to give it rights, but also i had trouble getting it to unlock on ubuntu and even windows. You must have everything EXACTLY right.

That's weird. On my Windows machine I just downloaded an ADB and Fastboot in a zip file from some website. Didn't have SDK. Just threw them in a folder I labeled "root" and it worked fine for me.

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I tried both folders. I haven't tried sudo yet. But ill try that. I followed ksmithinys directions but I'm starting to think it was based for windows.

I still don't get why the fastboot binary was not in the sdk?

If all else fails ill have to set up a windows dual boot. -____-

Thanks for the help guys, ill keep you posted.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk