1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Why ROMs and not patches?

Sorry for the newbie question, but is there a way to patch my Nexus S 4G like I did with my Palm Pre and webOS? I liked how I could select what I want to change and not have to do a whole ROM change out.

I am somewhat happy with the Nexus there is just so many things I miss from my webOS device such as Universal Search, Synergy, the ease to change what you want with a simple patch. Android does quite a few things but it is missing several MAJOR features that I want/need.

ROM
    Stock Sense 3.6 ICS 4.0.3

Default Re: Why ROMs and not patches?

Yah, I agree. I miss doing that when I had my iPod touch. It seemed more easier as well =\

You CAN...but it would involve either finding (or making) a zip of those features for the NS4G that you can flash and install, you'll need to be rooted and have CWR installed.

Many of the custom ROMs are just hybrid version of existing ROMs, like CM7, that contain a feature set and tweaks a particular dev wants.

You could also us something like ROM Kitchen () to "build" your own custom rom with their gui by picking and choosing features you want. BUT it looks like support the "Nexus S" with no specific differentiation between the Nexus S (GSM) and Nexus S 4G (WiMax) so I would do some research and have a backup plan to restore before you try it out.

Hope that helps!
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Not to be a downer here, but previous WebOS/pre users need to realize they aren't running that anymore.. Your on Android and its not going to be the same. Give it time you will get used to things just like you did on WebOS.

Digitalslacker is correct when he said you would have to make up your own custom zip file to flash with whatever little hacks and mods you want to incorporate and that is given you get the right stuff to work with whatever custom ROM you have in place since you would have to be rooted to do so.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:

yup, basically unless you are a dev, or want to learn to become a dev, your best bet is to find a ROM with the feature set you want and then look for apps to get you the rest of the way there.

CM7 is probably the best place to start, maybe MIUI too...if you want a nicer UI/UX. They both have a good amount of extra features added.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker