Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Retired Ambassador

Default CIQ

I see all these roms in this thread but I can't tell if any of them remove CIQ. Being google, does the nexus not have it natively installed?

I can't wait for my nexus to be delivered!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Default Re: CIQ

No CIQ here Keith.... That is something done by the carriers...

@all....

Before you ask what CIQ is.... Watch this video, follow the thread link below...

http://www.acsyndicate.net/a-clear-e...-iq-ciq-video/
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Yeah it's not the on Nexus S...

Just to get the conversation started, do you guys really care about this?

I don't disagree with the practice. I'm not too happy about the fact that you need to know what you are doing to stop it. It should just be a check box buried some place that you can un-tick if you care enough.

But, you are giving up similar data all day long when you are on the net. Every single web page you visit logs data about you. Sometimes it's not even anonymous data when you start talking about ad networks and we're all OK with that or at least accept it. And there isn't even an EULA you get to decline if you do care.

CIQ is collecting this data to improve the services carriers offer. They aren't annoying you with ads or selling that data to 3rd parties.

Just my take.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Quote Originally Posted by digitalslacker View Post

I don't disagree with the practice. I'm not too happy about the fact that you need to know what you are doing to stop it. It should just be a check box buried some place that you can un-tick if you care enough.

But, you are giving up similar data all day long when you are on the net. Every single web page you visit logs data about you. Sometimes it's not even anonymous data when you start talking about ad networks and we're all OK with that or at least accept it. And there isn't even an EULA you get to decline if you do care.

CIQ is collecting this data to improve the services carriers offer. They aren't annoying you with ads or selling that data to 3rd parties.

Just my take.
    I'm not against it collecting data to improve signal and such. But they should have informed users about it. Which they haven't and still don't lol. Not to mention it is always ruining in the background eating up battery . May not be allot but any less battery used is always an improvement.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    ReaLife1st
    Just a couple of guys that theme in their spare time.
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO
    All of our work is now tagged with [RLF]
    Like my work, or something I helped you do you can help get my kids some diapers by searching ZIGGSVO in the market.
    (Never Required but always appreciated!)

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Nightly

Just my take.
    I agree for the most part, my problem falls with how they are handling the data and how secure it is, on the device or via the transfer to their home system.

Why do they need a key logger to improve user experience? I could see maybe tracking if one is using the on screen keyboard versus the physical keyboard on a device that has both, but why do they need to know what is in the body of a text or email? That is part of the privacy aspect of it.

Also, if they are not securing the data they track locally on the phone by encrypting it, it becomes available to any virus or trojan on the phone. I know that's not their fault, but it leaves the door wide open, if one gets on the phone, because they are basically giving a hacker a place to look for the juicy tid-bits to steal ones identity or money.

If they take the personal aspect out of it, I don't see it as that big of a deal.

So to sum up my rant:

Don't key-log!!!
    Secure data locally collected, not in plain text.
    Give the option to opt-in possibly with benefits to opting-in.

Alright, off the soap box.
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ROM
    stock

Just my take.
    You really need to look into the work Trevor has done recently - I think you'll change your mind about CIQ. No matter what their end goal is, it is unnecessary, invasive, and disturbing. At the very least, consumers need to have a way to know exactly what it is, and have an opt-out option.

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    You really need to look into the work Trevor has done recently - I think you'll change your mind about CIQ. No matter what their end goal is, it is unnecessary, invasive, and disturbing. At the very least, consumers need to have a way to know exactly what it is, and have an opt-out option.
    Well at the time of writing that opinion i hadnt heard about the key logger...
    So now I'm a little more concerned...I don't think that's necessary at al..

Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Its an interesting enough topic but seeing how it doesn't effect us on the NS4G.....

We had it when I was running the Epic 4g, k0nane from ACS moved in and eliminated it from all our Froyo ROMs and we never worried about it again...

Just another example of how our privacy is exploited. Bottom line they should have an OPT out when doing something like that. Not just using the excuse well you signed a contract or agreement and its falls under the fine print to use information gathering software or methods.... Sorry that isn't good enough.

These are our devices, we paid for them and we should be made aware of any type of key logging or information gathering services from our carrier or manufacture. Not to mention we pay a monthly service fee and misc charges on top of everything I believe we have more than paid our dues to be entitled to a choice.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquid Smooth 4.2.2/Lean

No CIQ On My NS4G Running oICSv21 AOSP 4.0.1 (ICS), But What The Hell Is This?? Is This Something Devs Control Or Put There??

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

Try stopping it and see what happens.

It's normal by the way and on stock phones.

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by lyingfromyou View Post
    No CIQ On My NS4G Running oICSv21 AOSP 4.0.1 (ICS), But What The Hell Is This?? Is This Something Devs Control Or Put There??

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    Well, the sprint menu app is the menu where normally you would go to check for a new prl or profile. Not sure why it is needed on this build, except for maybe it plays some part in the phone operating on the Sprint network.

Make a nandroid, and then remove the sprintmenu app. See if your phone still works fine...
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    Try stopping it and see what happens.

It's normal by the way and on stock phones.
    This +1
    Worse case you just have to reboot lol. But I bet it just restarts itself. I'm going to try it now lol.

ReaLife1st
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO
    Like my work, or something I helped you do you can help get my kids some diapers by searching ZIGGSVO in the market.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggSeVO View Post
    This +1
    Worse case you just have to reboot lol. But I bet it just restarts itself. I'm going to try it now lol.

Any ill effects for you? I have froze it with titanium. So far I haven't seen any issue...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape60 View Post
    Any ill effects for you? I have froze it with titanium. So far I haven't seen any issue...

Nope didn't have any. Nothing force closed everything still worked but eventually it came back so not sure what exactly it does. Couldn't find anything on the web about it...

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk
    ReaLife1st
    Follow us on Twitter
    @ReaLife1st
    @ZiggSVO