[ROM][WIP][ALPHA][NS4G] oICSv43 | AOSP 4.0.3 (ICS)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][WIP][ALPHA][NS4G] oICSv21 | AOSP 4.0.1 (ICS)

Device. But I just now downloaded to computer. We'll try it that way.
I NEVER download ROMs directly to my device...

1. Takes to long even on WIFI or solid 4g
2. Problems like your having when the download fails at the end
3. Download goes through only to find out the file is corrupt or has a few bad bytes or something in it during the download.... Packet loss during transfer...
4. As Blackhawk mentioned.... Certain file types won't download on stock or stock browser... Dolphin usually gets around that...

Always download to computer then transfer it over.... Less headaches.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

Well, I was already rooted and running v19. But it seems to have flashed OK after downloading to computer. Now I just have to wait on Titantium to restore everything.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Good deal... Lesson learned.... Save yourself the headaches down the road. :)

vnv01

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Weird bug with v21.
Originally, in the voicemail settings, I had the option available to choose Google Voice as my provider. Opening the settings a few hours later, Google Voice was gone, and Service Provider was the only option. Additionally, I could not get my voicemail number to drop the * symbol from prepending my dialed number and kept getting service provider error message on every call to voicemail. Finally, I had to manually dial my phone number, check my voicemail, hangup and change the number again from settings. After the manual connection to voicemail, I was finally able to enter the number without getting the * symbol auto-prepend in front of my number.

I still have no option to check off google voice as a voicemail provider, though.

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

I've never seen an option in phone settings for google voice to be my voice mail provider...never had any problems useing it but i've never seen that option...on this or my previous optimus s...on god knows how many different roms...

I've had a weird issue with airplane mode last two versions of this ROM. seems like if i put it in airplane mode during the first boot(from the power menu) it will not re-enable the radios until its been power cycled. after then it seems to work the way it should. did it once on 19 and twice with 21(had some issues and had to reflash). not much of a problem cause a reboot seems to fix it perminently on an install.

I even went in to *#*#INFO#*#* and couldn't get the radios back on...

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Weird bug with v21.
Originally, in the voicemail settings, I had the option available to choose Google Voice as my provider. Opening the settings a few hours later, Google Voice was gone, and Service Provider was the only option. Additionally, I could not get my voicemail number to drop the * symbol from prepending my dialed number and kept getting service provider error message on every call to voicemail. Finally, I had to manually dial my phone number, check my voicemail, hangup and change the number again from settings. After the manual connection to voicemail, I was finally able to enter the number without getting the * symbol auto-prepend in front of my number.

I still have no option to check off google voice as a voicemail provider, though.
launch the google voice app.

badhabits727

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I always download my roms from the stock browser via wifi. Stock browser can download them if you have a zip program such as androzip installed. Never had a problem.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I always download my roms from the stock browser via wifi. Stock browser can download them if you have a zip program such as androzip installed. Never had a problem.
That explains the user name ;)

J/K....

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

I too have downloaded ROMS directly from my phone thru Dolphin. I've done that since the Hero. Then the EVO...then Epic...then Nexus...then 3D...and now that I'm back on the Nexus I've done the same.

If I'm at home I'll do it to my computer but sometimes I just cant wait. I've never had one issue. I see what others are saying though...

Regarding THIS ROM...its sweet. Been running it since last night and everything is smooth. There is a slight delay in bringing up certain menus but overall this ROM is lovely. No complaints here. I cant wait until we get an official ICS ota. This ROM will really stand out then.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I too have downloaded ROMS directly from my phone thru Dolphin. I've done that since the Hero. Then the EVO...then Epic...then Nexus...then 3D...and now that I'm back on the Nexus I've done the same.

If I'm at home I'll do it to my computer but sometimes I just cant wait. I've never had one issue. I see what others are saying though...

Regarding THIS ROM...its sweet. Been running it since last night and everything is smooth. There is a slight delay in bringing up certain menus but overall this ROM is lovely. No complaints here. I cant wait until we get an official ICS ota. This ROM will really stand out then.

Bump your bottom (100 mhz) number voltages up by 25 in NSTools and it should help with the delay.. I had the same problem.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

Paul, I saw your post on xda with swype problems, answered there, but just in case you don't see it in that huge thread . . Parse problems on download is most likely a connection issue. Use wifi, not network, and you should have no problem downloading the installer.
I learned this trick sometime ago, and whenever I flash, then try to reload, it get that message, kick myself in butt, then turn on wifi and it works

I agree, hate to type. I wild probably roll back without swype

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Paul, I saw your post on xda with swype problems, answered there, but just in case you don't see it in that huge thread . . Parse problems on download is most likely a connection issue. Use wifi, not network, and you should have no problem downloading the installer.
I learned this trick sometime ago, and whenever I flash, then try to reload, it get that message, kick myself in butt, then turn on wifi and it works

I agree, hate to type. I wild probably roll back without swype

Thanks, yes I read your responses there too... I did a few fresh reinstalls and even restores from MyBackup and Titanium and each time got that update prompt then it went south...

Finally I gave it one last shot yesterday and did nothing different... Uninstalled the installer & Swype rebooted the device so everything was clear and clean then redownloaded everything from Swype and its actually been working since :) :)

Got my Swype back, I'm happy ! I still from time to time fight with Swype but no where near as bad as pecking away on the stock KB.

_DammitMan_

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is 4g and wireless tethering working on this build?
Or, maybe the better question is: Do we know what's not exactly working in this build?

Thanks!

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
4g ...will not work until sprint drops the official update....ask that question over on xda and people will cut you....

Haven't tried tethering yet myself

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich

Reactions: _DammitMan_

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but is 4g and wireless tethering working on this build?
Or, maybe the better question is: Do we know what's not exactly working in this build?

Thanks!

I heard tethering was working via francos kernel. Not sure on exact methods... As the other post mentioned until official source for the NS4G of ICS is dropped we won't see 4g.

I would expect a new build possibly today or tomorrow as it seems the CM9 Kangs for the Nexus S just got a working notification toggle control bar :) Example, wifi on & off, bluetooth, etc...

Reactions: _DammitMan_

_DammitMan_

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

....ask that question over on xda and people will cut you....

Ugh! I hate people who are like that. Can't we all just get along? ;-)

I'm relatively new to Android (coming from webOS). I tried ICS before (about 2 weeks ago) but had to move back. Thinking of giving it another try.

_DammitMan_

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I heard tethering was working via francos kernel. Not sure on exact methods... As the other post mentioned until official source for the NS4G of ICS is dropped we won't see 4g.

I would expect a new build possibly today or tomorrow as it seems the CM9 Kangs for the Nexus S just got a working notification toggle control bar :) Example, wifi on & off, bluetooth, etc...

If tethering works then I think I'll be good. 4G is nice, but is not the be-all/end-all for me. It states that Franco's kernel is included. Maybe I'll give her another shot.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

ICS 21 update -
1. Tether works, I use it
2. There is a problem which is causing battery drain on some phones if you are in a weaker reception area.
Fix is in the works, probably another version. This is happening on v21 not older
3. Includes Franco's 12/3 kernel, which was newest until he released on on 12/4, don't know the channges.

So I'm running v21 with the included Franco kernel - the only problem I have is no GPS, a little laggy on some apps opening and Handcent has a strange picture shadow behind it (kind of a double image). I have been
backig up and using Titanium, came thru several versions.

Really like it, using it daily, learning by reading. The forum link is 160+ pages long, about every other page someone asks about 4G or how to flash. It is a technical forum, I don't understand a lot, but the repetitive questions, some listed on the 1st page, drives them nuts, hence the warning above.

It is a lot of reading, and actually don't need to do it all, but I started at beginning on early version and keeps me up on changes, issues, fixes, and should I change. Jump in the area where you download that version and read those parts, its relative, you will learn, then come back here and ask your "silly" questions, we are not as techie and have more patience.
;)

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Ugh! I hate people who are like that. Can't we all just get along? ;-)
I know. It bugs the crap out if me too. The thread usually degrades into 3 pages of name calling when it would have been easier to just answer the question and move on....who cares if the question has been asked and answered 30 times over the last 60 pages.....that's why
I like this place more

Sent from my Ice Cream Sandwich

_DammitMan_

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I was able to update to v21 just an hour or so ago. Aside from the 4G thing, the only thing I've noticed is that contacts don't sync in Go SMS. My GPS does appear to be working. Though I'll test that more later. It was a pretty quick update.

I did go through many of those pages over on XDA but just didn't have time to fully through all of them (as I'm working and attempting to do the update at the same time). I did have a feeling that 4G still wasn't working. But I had heard differing things on tethering.

So far, like Precentral, everyone I've chatted with here on AndroidCentral has been really nice and helpful. I really appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol