What is the point of root and is it worth it or not

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am a complete noob when it comes to Android, Finally got me a Android phone the Nexus S 4g (it was free).

My question is what is the point of root and is it worth it or not, what can root devices do..

The only thing I am interested in the Tether (hotspot) but from what i read 4g can't be Tether unless you pay for the Tethering..... and the fact that 4G isn't that strong in my home.

The only reason I would use the Tether would be to play on my ps3 online when my home wireless goes out.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Rooting Question

I am a complete noob when it comes to Android, Finally got me a Android phone the Nexus S 4g (it was free).

My question is what is the point of root and is it worth it or not, what can root devices do..

The only thing I am interested in the Tether (hotspot) but from what i read 4g can't be Tether unless you pay for the Tethering..... and the fact that 4G isn't that strong in my home.

The only reason I would use the Tether would be to play on my ps3 online when my home wireless goes out.

There is quite alot of benefits to rooting beyond tethering. Many don't really understand until they actually try it. I have had members stand their ground firm for months and months about staying stock and no need to root. Once they did and they discovered custom ROMs and what they did and allow you to do with your device as far as customizing, better battery life due to custom kernels to control processor speeds and power management and much more they have been hooked and can't believe they didn't try sooner.

As far as tethering for 3g only, this is true. I also really doubt at 3g speeds it will be enough to provide access to play your PS3 online. Normally most online gaming is at least a minimum of around .5-.75 meg upload speeds and downloads around at least a meg. People have been able to connect at lower speeds but in multiplayer games where there is a host in the game and if you get host at those speeds makes everyone else suffer.

ZiggSVO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
There is quite alot of benefits to rooting beyond tethering. Many don't really understand until they actually try it. I have had members stand their ground firm for months and months about staying stock and no need to root. Once they did and they discovered custom ROMs and what they did and allow you to do with your device as far as customizing, better battery life due to custom kernels to control processor speeds and power management and much more they have been hooked and can't believe they didn't try sooner.

As far as tethering for 3g only, this is true. I also really doubt at 3g speeds it will be enough to provide access to play your PS3 online. Normally most online gaming is at least a minimum of around .5-.75 meg upload speeds and downloads around at least a meg. People have been able to connect at lower speeds but in multiplayer games where there is a host in the game and if you get host at those speeds makes everyone else suffer.

Well said.
Youtube search for xbox live phone tether ;)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

So then what can I do what are some examples of custom ROMs and stuff I can do with rooting my device....

Another thing can I go back to stock it I want to. or if my phone breaks for some reason?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

So then what can I do what are some examples of custom ROMs and stuff I can do with rooting my device....
Along with tethering, you have more options to run full themes on the device which will change the entire look of your OS. More than just wallpaper and some 3rd party launcher tricks too.... Custom kernels can offer much more too besides better battery and speed control from under clocking to overclocking. Another benefit especially to the Nexus line seeing how we don't have LED notifications with custom kernels offering support for BLN (Backlight notification) whenever you get a notification like incoming phone, text, email your bottom row of lights will light up to let you know you have incoming notes. There is much more available too, actually to much to list here... These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Another thing can I go back to stock it I want to. or if my phone breaks for some reason?
Yes you can return to stock quite easily if needed for servicing or say your just sick of it all and want to return to stock.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

1. Root devices can do ANYTHING. Trust me, you can't even imagine all the possibilities. Tethering is just the tip of the iceberg.

2. Yes you can tether on 4G with a 3rd party app. The default built-in hotspot service will only do 3G (although there is even a 4G workaround for that) but I've had no problems tethering on 4G with a 3rd party app - and yes, you will need 4G if you're doing gaming.

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

I decided to root my phone for the tethering (using wireless tethering for root users)

Will that app support 4g tethering, or is there a better one.?

I do want to learn about costume ROMs and Kernels for the future since I got my phone during Black Friday its still new and I'm not sick of how it looks, but I'm sure I will be lol.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Sick of how it looks. Rediculous.

Ice cream sandwich.... the new android os... right under your thread at the time being.

Or if you wanna stick with gingerbread cm7 is excellent.

However. Being that you said you think its ugly you may want to look into miui.

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks I'll look at the MIUI ROMs.

For the ICS I rather wait until something more stable, or even the official one comes out.

How do I install the ROM?

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I'll look at the MIUI ROMs.

For the ICS I rather wait until something more stable, or even the official one comes out.

How do I install the ROM?

V26 of asop is very stable and smooth.i have no problems with it except for gps this build.

I think miui is more for what your looking for. Will be like a different phone.

If your rooted you need to install clockworkmod bootloader. Then, you would make a back up. Wipe everything and install the rom. If, you did one click root your probably better off downloading rom manager from the market. It will install the bootloader and roms for you (Remember to back up first). However, I don't like this method; and, even if you do - do it this way I recommend learning the full way. Otherwise if something gets messed up you'll be lost and back here crying for help. (<- Not an insult).

If you need extra help you can PM me and I'll walk you through it. It's very easy. Otherwise: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...61-how-unlock-install-su-custom-recovery.html.

If you already have clockwork mod just simple download the rom you want. Put it on your "sdcard". Then, boot into clockwork mod. Make a back up. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik. Choose to select install zip and chose your rom you've put on your phone.

(Optional task would be getting a app backup from the market that your like and backing up your apps. I never do this though I do it the long way).

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

V26 of asop is very stable and smooth.i have no problems with it except for gps this build.

I think miui is more for what your looking for. Will be like a different phone.

If your rooted you need to install clockworkmod bootloader. Then, you would make a back up. Wipe everything and install the rom. If, you did one click root your probably better off downloading rom manager from the market. It will install the bootloader and roms for you (Remember to back up first). However, I don't like this method; and, even if you do - do it this way I recommend learning the full way. Otherwise if something gets messed up you'll be lost and back here crying for help. (<- Not an insult).

If you need extra help you can PM me and I'll walk you through it. It's very easy. Otherwise: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...61-how-unlock-install-su-custom-recovery.html.

If you already have clockwork mod just simple download the rom you want. Put it on your "sdcard". Then, boot into clockwork mod. Make a back up. Wipe data, cache, and dalvik. Choose to select install zip and chose your rom you've put on your phone.

(Optional task would be getting a app backup from the market that your like and backing up your apps. I never do this though I do it the long way).

I followed this video How to Root the Nexus S / Nexus S 4G with one click root v4 - YouTube the file was here. [ACS] Nexus S One Click Root V4.0 I did do the Clockwork Mod way, Only reason I did the one click root was because I don't how to do it the long way. How do I do a back up?

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Alright. Do a back up first. When you got it come back when youve figured it out.

Power off the phone. Hold power and volume up till it turns on and boots clock work. Go to back up and restore. Hit backup. Let it do its thing.

Save this back up. Keep it forever. Its your original rom from your phone. Your personal grounf zero. Keep it backed up else where as well.

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

I used ROMmanager to back up my current ROM I'm looking at what ROM to get NIUI looks cool for changing the look of the phone I still don't know what Cyanogen does.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Cm7 doesn't do much. Just adds some really nice features and theme choose which is just colors. I prefer it; but, I think you might like MIUI as you don't really like the way Vanilla android looks, so it seems.

You can try them both out and see what you like. As long as you got your backup now. What you wanna do is wipe data/cache/and dalvik. Then, install your rom. If you don't like it repeast the wipe process and do it again. If anything goes wrong repeat the wipe process and restore the backup.

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I never said a didn't like the way it looks, lol what I really want is the tethering of 4g, as I don't know what can/can't be done with custome ROMs n Kernels idk what else I want and I won't know till I get there lol

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I never said a didn't like the way it looks, lol what I really want is the tethering of 4g, as I don't know what can/can't be done with custome ROMs n Kernels idk what else I want and I won't know till I get there lol

Lol try cm7 first the. Gives it that edge. Then if you want something that looks nothing like android try miui.

N9tShadow

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
looking at the MIUI web site, the stuff they show one can do looks awesome.

Edit 1:Going to try CM first like you said, I'll post when im done, to let you guys know if everything went fine or not.

Edit 2:Installed CM 7.1.0 went well I guess, Doesn't feel different. Kinda bumbed that the one thing I wanted from this mod doesn't really work but that's ok.

Last edited: