1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    oICSvs41, GladOS2.2

Default Steve.garons kernel thread

Not seeing a thread here for this. Wondering if anyone else has been trying it?

I've been on his kernels now for the past week and a half and lovin it. Battery's not quite the same as Eugene's. But phone feels a bit snappier/fresher to me. Plus I love the cold colors as I'm done with messing with voodoo settings over and over. Running 100/800 lazy with simple io. Average 4+ screen time on a 12-14 hour charge.

Anyone else?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk
    Retired Ambassador

Just didn't notice much difference with colors also didn't like the fact you couldn't change cpu settings such as governor or over/under clocking. He did mention he would incorporate it in his next version but I haven't checked it out yet.

It seemed stable although not fast. But again I like options and his didn't provide much in that way. Kernels and roms can be built to provide stability, speed and options. All of these are important to me.

I will have to check if out again. I was planning to but forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

As for battery life on his i didn't use it long enough to judge it. Although I am getting to 18+ hours with 4+ hours screen time with the matr1x 14.5 bfs without having to underclock.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Skunkape60; 01-14-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    oICSvs41, GladOS2.2

This us my current go to until I get a trinity teuv with bln/bld again. Lol

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbgrp View Post
    This us my current go to until I get a trinity teuv with bln/bld again. Lol

I did like the trinity kernel on the Pool party ROM with gingerbread. A little birdy told me that the Dev for pool party was working on an ics version of pool party. Can't wait to see it as it was one of my favorite gingerbread roms.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    ROM
    oICSv43 sg-ns

Default Re: Steve.garons kernel thread

all the settings are available in nstools

Default Re: Steve.garons kernel thread

Keep talking... We like conversation concerning the thread topic... Makes for a good thread.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by louderstill View Post
    No there not all there. Many are greyed out. The version i tried would not allow any changing of the cpu speed at all. The reason for this was it was designed for battery savings. That's fine but when i am getting better battery life out of an overclocked phone on the matr1x kernel it would be kind of foolish for me to go for an underclocked kernel that gets less battery life.

While Steve did say options were going to be available I think he also said that it would remain capped and limited. I can presently overclock my phone to 1460 without raising any voltages all day long without a hiccup and still get 12 hours from my battery.

It's funny but my phone used to get the absolute worst battery life but for the post couple of weeks it does great no matter what i throw at it.

Last edited by Skunkape60; 01-14-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Retired Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by louderstill View Post
    I just checked out Steve's kernel again. He did add some overclocking options to his kernel. We can now overclock to 1320 and at that setting I am seeing speeds that are almost equal to what I was getting overclocked to 1460 on other kennels. This is a pretty quick kernel. I will run this into the middle of the week to check out the battery life.

One thing still missing is deep idle. Deep idle works well and saves a lot of juice for me because of the way I use my phone. I play a lot of music on my phone at work with the screen off, so deep idle definitely helps my battery life.

Like I said, I will test the battery life next Tuesday when I go back to work and that will determine of If miss deep idle or not.