I am interested in rooting for Ice Cream Sandwich

gencoabandando

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a sprint nexus s 4g and I am tired of waiting for the ics ota. I know nothing about rooting but am thinking about doing it. Can someone please advise me? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a sprint nexus s 4g and I am tired of waiting for the ics ota. I know nothing about rooting but am thinking about doing it. Can someone please advise me? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Two routes to take...

1. [How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery (This sometimes is more difficult for some)

2. https://psp-1.com/ (OneClickRoot)
.Tutorial : How to root and clockworkmod the Nexus S / S 4G with one click root v3.0 - YouTube

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just doing what we are doing is still keeping your phone in stock form... Its just unlocking the device and installing a custom recovery/root access...

It does do a full wipe in the unlocking process so that is something to consider.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Also, I consider myself pretty tech savvy... however, I don't want to brick my phone.....

There is also a one click to stock script. So it's probably easier to return to stock than it is to root. But once you root and try out some of the roms you won't want to go back.

Even if you don't like ICS, the gingerbread custom roms are so much better than stock that you will never again settle for stock.

I spent almost a year in these forums arguing with people who suggested that I root. I used all the typical reasons why it wasn't right for me. When I finally did it, I felt like the biggest crybaby in the world. All of my fears were just silly. It couldn't be easier.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk

gencoabandando

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
There is also a one click to stock script. So it's probably easier to return to stock than it is to root. But once you root and try out some of the roms you won't want to go back.

Even if you don't like ICS, the gingerbread custom roms are so much better than stock that you will never again settle for stock.

I spent almost a year in these forums arguing with people who suggested that I root. I used all the typical reasons why it wasn't right for me. When I finally did it, I felt like the biggest crybaby in the world. All of my fears were just silly. It couldn't be easier.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk

eblackman

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info and just like others i have been tempted for so long to try this and i work in QA for a software company. No excuses for me. So help me out i first need to give myself superuser access by following the video you posted.

.Tutorial : How to root and clockworkmod the Nexus S / S 4G with one click root v3.0 - YouTube

then once that is done i get install the cyanogenmod 9 ICS correct?

How do i install cyanogenmod 9 and does a video exist and where is the rom located on cyanogenmod website cause every time i visit the site i see 7 and not nine.

Also doesn't need to be you but can someone explain to me how the roms are better then the actually build Google puts out. I assume Google puts a basic firmware and says HAVE AT IT MAKE IT BETTER :)

Thanks for all you guys help.

E

mycorn

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
there are lots of android forums on the web

all your questions have been asked/answered
hundreds [thousands?] of times

all the info you seek is readily available

the search box of your web browser is your friend...

if you ask a forum what's "best"
you'l likely get as many different answers as you do responces

fwiw

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the info and just like others i have been tempted for so long to try this and i work in QA for a software company. No excuses for me. So help me out i first need to give myself superuser access by following the video you posted.

then once that is done i get install the cyanogenmod 9 ICS correct?

How do i install cyanogenmod 9 and does a video exist and where is the rom located on cyanogenmod website cause every time i visit the site i see 7 and not nine.

Also doesn't need to be you but can someone explain to me how the roms are better then the actually build Google puts out. I assume Google puts a basic firmware and says HAVE AT IT MAKE IT BETTER :)

Thanks for all you guys help.

E

First, welcome.

The video provided will give you a fairly good idea of how the actual OneClickRoot package will run. The video is based on v3.0 and the rooting package is v5.0. So there will be a slight difference in the two but it gets you the general idea as to what is going to happen and expect.

That package will unlock your boot loader, install the custom ClockWorkMod recovery and then you will also have SuperUser (root) access when complete.

The link the Cyanogen Mod 9 we a thread for it [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 Alpha Nexus S 4G v4.0.3

As far as flashing the ROM is concerned the link provided from our thread will have basic installation instructions from the CM devs.

Custom ROMs verses stock OS. Stock Google OS, is by itself fairly good on the Nexus phones. Custom ROMs of any sorts take what Google has given and stretch them even further with custom tweaks (speed, user selectable mods, additional options, etc). Package a ROM with a custom kernel and you can get better speed from your device and/or better overall battery life.

Any more questions, hit us up in the Rooting and Hacking section and we will be happy to help.

Paul.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Question for experienced rooters..

From beginning to end (downloading and installing necessary Windows installing programs, backing up app data, rooting phone, downloading ROM manager, and installing ROM), how long does it take to root a phone and install ICS, realistically?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Question for experienced rooters..

From beginning to end (downloading and installing necessary Windows installing programs, backing up app data, rooting phone, downloading ROM manager, and installing ROM), how long does it take to root a phone and install ICS, realistically?

Realistically.. Under 15 minutes for experienced users to swap out to different roms and be back up and running. Newer users can still do it in around half hour because the initial first time is what takes the longest to get all your files and stuff in place

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So how would I get ics on the phone after doing the one click root? I'm confused.

Find the ROM of your choice.

Download it to your computer.

Connect your device to computer via mass storage and transfer the ROM.zip file onto your internal sdcard storage.

Boot into CWM or TWRP recovery.

Depending on which recovery these selections may differ a bit...

You first should always make a Nandroid Backup or Backup of your device so in the event something goes wrong or you want to return to your previous setup you have this option.

Select either Backup or Nandroid backup and let that process do its thing.. Usually a few minutes to complete.

Next you need to WIPE the device to properly flash the ROM/theme/mod

For ROMs most devs suggest a full wipe, this means under the WIPE option you need to wipe the following...

DATA (Factory Reset)
CACHE PARTITION
DALVIK CACHE (CWM can be found under ADVANCED OPTIONS)

Kernels & other mods, follow the devs instructions for wiping but normally these only require Cache & Dalvik Cache.

Now to flash the ROM/theme/kernel/mod

Select the INSTALL or INSTALL FROM SDCARD option.

Follow the prompts to search your SDCARD for the ROM or zip of you choice. Then continue the prompts once you find the zip and proceed with flashing (installing).

After the zip file has successfully flashed depending on what you are flashing you may or may not have to flash additional files at this time.

Once all is complete, return to the main screen and/or select REBOOT SYSTEM/DEVICE.

[WARN]NOTE, after a full wipe your first initial boot up process will take some time... Few minutes, it will appear as your stuck at the boot logo or boot animation and eventually it should boot if the flash was successful. If your sitting there for more than 5 minutes something has gone wrong or by this time the device would have done what we call a BOOT LOOP which is a bad flash... You will need to return to recovery and wipe and flash again or restore your working backup.[/WARN]

Thats it.. Your on the way to a new adventure....

In the event you want to go back to your previous setup or something goes wrong with the flash installation you can go back to your recovery (CWM/TWRP) and select the RESTORE option from the same area you did the backup from and find and restore the backup. This will put you right back to that exact moment in time you made the backup.

Enjoy...

eblackman

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul does a video exist for installing a custom rom that is good. Also and i meant to ask this last time. Once my phone is wipe will that delete all my Google contacts via Google contact list in Google mail. Cause i remember awhile ago on my HTC hero that when i deleted someone from phone it removed them from my Google mail address list.

E

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul does a video exist for installing a custom rom that is good. Also and i meant to ask this last time. Once my phone is wipe will that delete all my Google contacts via Google contact list in Google mail. Cause i remember awhile ago on my HTC hero that when i deleted someone from phone it removed them from my Google mail address list.

E
There are a video or two out there for installing a ROM.

As far as your contacts are concerned as long as you make sure your contacts are synced to your Gmail account prior to rooting those will be safe. You could always go into Contacts and select Menu and you will have an option to Import/Export contacts to file as an extra backup. Pull that backup file from your sdcard and place it on your computer until after you have completed the rooting process since unlocking your boot loader wipes your device.

Anymore questions, just ask.

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I used the one click root when it was V2. it can't get any easier, and yet, they made it with V3 :)
I'll never go back to stock OTA, and i rooted my nexus one week later after owning it. mine was easy to do.

Convincing the wife i was going to wipe her phone was a different story, since i couldn't convince her, i just rooted her phone and installed a custom rom for her without her knowing. when she woke up and tried the phone, she was stunned but happy about all the new features she's got :), her phone was a little more painful because i had to do things manually, but it's not difficult if you follow the instructions. i'm not a unix guy, i'm a Microsoft person, so i can tell you the instructions are well documented, even a Windows guy can follow the commands.

caleb02

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Find the ROM of your choice.

Download it to your computer.

Connect your device to computer via mass storage and transfer the ROM.zip file onto your internal sdcard storage.

Boot into CWM or TWRP recovery.

Depending on which recovery these selections may differ a bit...

You first should always make a Nandroid Backup or Backup of your device so in the event something goes wrong or you want to return to your previous setup you have this option.

Select either Backup or Nandroid backup and let that process do its thing.. Usually a few minutes to complete.

Next you need to WIPE the device to properly flash the ROM/theme/mod

For ROMs most devs suggest a full wipe, this means under the WIPE option you need to wipe the following...

DATA (Factory Reset)
CACHE PARTITION
DALVIK CACHE (CWM can be found under ADVANCED OPTIONS)

Kernels & other mods, follow the devs instructions for wiping but normally these only require Cache & Dalvik Cache.

Now to flash the ROM/theme/kernel/mod

Select the INSTALL or INSTALL FROM SDCARD option.

Follow the prompts to search your SDCARD for the ROM or zip of you choice. Then continue the prompts once you find the zip and proceed with flashing (installing).

After the zip file has successfully flashed depending on what you are flashing you may or may not have to flash additional files at this time.

Once all is complete, return to the main screen and/or select REBOOT SYSTEM/DEVICE.

[WARN]NOTE, after a full wipe your first initial boot up process will take some time... Few minutes, it will appear as your stuck at the boot logo or boot animation and eventually it should boot if the flash was successful. If your sitting there for more than 5 minutes something has gone wrong or by this time the device would have done what we call a BOOT LOOP which is a bad flash... You will need to return to recovery and wipe and flash again or restore your working backup.[/WARN]

Thats it.. Your on the way to a new adventure....

In the event you want to go back to your previous setup or something goes wrong with the flash installation you can go back to your recovery (CWM/TWRP) and select the RESTORE option from the same area you did the backup from and find and restore the backup. This will put you right back to that exact moment in time you made the backup.

Enjoy...

you left out one very big step... I always backup the dcmia ringtones notifications to my PC then reformat the internal storage card as not to have any issues. Then I copy over the rom.zip file to the internal storage and then turn off the phone and boot into cwm and then do a nand backup and then wipe system cache data boot and delvik and then flash the rom

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay