What's the most stable ROM for ICS 4.0.3?

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Not looking for the most tweaked rom, mainly looking for the most stable one, where everything works like an official OS would do ?, if there is such a thing :), phone is Nexus S 4G

Thanks a lot

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
YMMV depending on what your looking for....

Dooderbutt is great.. v6 themed to the flavor of Android Central :)

oICS & AOKP are two other solid choices. Plus you have your Cyanogen Mod 9 builds and eventually some other more well known devs should be pulling out their first versions of ICS.

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, i'm reading about them. Dooderbutt seems to be good, but i'm afraid the lack of GPS is scary, i use the GPS on my phone almost every day. Would the GPS work as it should in v5 ?

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
AOSP's ICS Rom with 14.5 Matr1x kernel (BFS).

Correction: I have found the Bugless Beast is the best, I am even Underclocking the processor.

Last edited:

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, i'm reading about them. Dooderbutt seems to be good, but i'm afraid the lack of GPS is scary, i use the GPS on my phone almost every day. Would the GPS work as it should in v5 ?

Well it doesn't "lack GPS" persay, its just that some people (like myself) have problems when it comes to navigation. When I first flashed v5 it was working like a champ but it stopped connecting after that. But other users have reported that the GPS and navigation are working perfectly, so I guess it really depends on your phone :) I'm getting my replacement ns4g in a couple of days so I'm going to test my theory

beedip

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
oICSv43 with Matr1x kernel v14.5 has yet to give me any issue whatsoever, very stable and very easy to use. Plus the GPS works ;)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for a stable rom without any bells and whistles oICSv43 is really top notch.

Also consider AOKP_crespo4g_build 19. Which on my phone, is just as stable but has more options.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk

Last edited:

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the following:

dooderbutt AOSP v1, v5, v6
vhgomez r1, r1.3, r2.5.1
oICS (some of the earlier versions)
Crossbones
Bugless Beast r1/18/2012

The ROM that was on my phone the longest was dooderbutt. I found that with Matr1x kernel and dooderbutt, I had a fast and stable phone with good battery life. The only thing that didn't work was GPS.

vhgomez r1 and r1.3 were great, but not as fast as dooderbutt and the GPS didn't work for me. For some reason, r2.5.1 didn't work well at all on my phone, so I quickly removed it. It was sluggish. The music player randomly skipped songs, the colors would flicker. GPS didn't work either.

Crossbones was a disaster on my phone.

I just installed bugless beast with Matr1x, and it is running very smoothly. GPS works and it locks quickly! I just calibrated and will be testing it over the next couple of days to see whether it works as well or better than dooderbutt v5/6 for me.

Bottom line: give multiple ROMs a test drive. It's a learning experience and can be fun to see the differences. These developers work hard to push these out, and I think we need to give them feedback. It's the least we can do for taking their hard work and using it.

Reactions: clindner

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
For you guys that are switching between ROMs, are you doing a full wipe before installing, or can you move between ICS ROMs with only a wipe of the cache?

I know that for updating a particular ROM, only a wipe of the cache is needed, but I wasn't sure about going between the different ROMs.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
For you guys that are switching between ROMs, are you doing a full wipe before installing, or can you move between ICS ROMs with only a wipe of the cache?

I know that for updating a particular ROM, only a wipe of the cache is needed, but I wasn't sure about going between the different ROMs.

You need to wipe it all.

Reactions: clindner

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I guess I'll stick with Pete then. I'm not crazy about having to start from scratch!

You don't necessarily have to start from scratch.

If you don't own Titanium Backup with root, buy it. It's probably $5 at the most. I can't tell you how many times I have used it.

You can use titanium to do a batch backup of all your apps (including the launcher), and when you wipe your phone and install a new ROM, you can just download titanium again and have it restore all your apps. You can also have it restore the data (i.e., settings and layout) of the ICS launcher. I wouldn't recommend backing up and reinstalling SYSTEM apps, but certainly your third party apps.

I've backed up and restored all my third party apps and when restoring, haven't lost any data, settings, saved games, etc.

Every time I flash a new ROM, I do a batch backup. Titanium can back up everything again, or just what's new.

Worth every penny.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Peter Alfonso's ICS ROM and is working great. I am really happy with the long battery life with this ROM, much better than the stock Gingerbread ROM. What I like about Pete's ROM is that he keeps it pure vanilla on the outside but adds in bug fixes and small tweaks that are documented for other ROMs.He has frequent updates, and I just wipe the cache and Davlik cache before each update install which is not too distruptive.

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Just what i was looking for, Thanks Cohoman. so to update Peter Alfonso ROM, or probably any other ROM, is just a matter of doing a wipe cache, then wipe davlik cache, then flash the update ROM image ?

aman1127

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
IML74 by Bigxie on xda works best for me. I've tried them all and nothing is as fast as this. I'm also running matrix kernel. Everything works, no glitches and 4g.

Try em all but that's my suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk