[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: One Click Root Method

You plug your device into your computer and the location it opens to using Windows Explorer is your sdcard. Place it there and then you can locate it from within recovery to complete the rooting process to be flashed.

CHEOYKELL

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Windows SDK Rooting Guide

ok when i start step 10,and enter cmd and type (\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\.)i get system cannot find right path specified.am i spuppose to type it like this (cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\) just as shown or (android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\) tried both ways and get same thing..when my cmd opens shows c:/user/user..please help

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

ok when i start step 10,and enter cmd and type (\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\.)i get system cannot find right path specified.am i spuppose to type it like this (cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\) just as shown or (android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\) tried both ways and get same thing..when my cmd opens shows c:/user/user..please help

Another way to work around this is..

Using Windows Explorer, find and locate your Android SDK folder on your computer. Then navigate to the /platform-tools/ folder. Once your inside that folder hold SHIFT and right click your mouse to open a pop up menu. You should see the option Open Command Line or Prompt.

Select that and then skip to Step 12 to perform the process which is unlocking the boot loader.

fastboot oem unlock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

CHEOYKELL

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

thank you..ok found out what you meant..but i am running into this problem now,problem of not having the platform-tools folder in your android-sdk-windows(on the tip part. under step).But now when I open the android sdk manager, a cmd-like screen just briefly flashes on for half a second then disappears. I have no idea what's going on and how to get this thing working.(should i also download this?( Android SDK | Android Developers)

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

thank you..ok found out what you meant..but i am running into this problem now,problem of not having the platform-tools folder in your android-sdk-windows(on the tip part. under step).But now when I open the android sdk manager, a cmd-like screen just briefly flashes on for half a second then disappears. I have no idea what's going on and how to get this thing working.(should i also download this?( Android SDK | Android Developers)

To make things easier on you so you can get over this hump I have provided a zip file for you. Take this file and extract its contents to your Android SDK folder. You can make one called " platform-tools " if you like. I pulled the important contents you need from my Android SDK/platform-tools/ folder for you ;)

Once you have done that you can again do as I suggested, navigate to this new folder and its contents using Windows Explorer. Press and hold SHIFT key then right click on your mouse to open the Command Window Here option. Then jump back to Step 12, fastboot oem unlock and lets rock :)

View attachment platform-tools.zip

CHEOYKELL

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

thank you so much for your help..worked like a charm...whats a good rom and kernel bundle to download thats very good and stable.and that everything works 100% like wifi,camera,etc....

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Glad to help!

As for ROMs & kernels, I've been out of the NS4G scene for a while myself but my personal preference has always been sticking with the well known names like CM or AOKP. Not to say there isn't other good ROM devs and options out there but I know when I load up CM or AOKP it works, period.

As for kernels, again I roll with well known/proven kernels. I've been a fan of AOKP builds for well over a year. Ran it on my NS4G, now on my GNex and Nexus 7. I love the freedom of customization they build in and again, everything works as expected.

Good luck and enjoy your rooted NS4G! Very pleased to offer my hand in helping you out.

Paul.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Best thing to do is grab Goo Manager from the Play Store and that will have many of the top ROMs to pick from. It also automatically filters out only ROMs for your device so there is little or no chance of mistake. CM, AOKP and many others are supported by Goo Manager.

Goo Manager will automatically download the ROM, GAPPS package, update your custom recovery and you can flash right from there into your newly downloaded ROM. It also alerts you to any updates, etc..

CHEOYKELL

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

OK cool will do.so I find a ROM and kernel in too manager.download it.and then I would need to go to recovery to flash right?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

OK cool will do.so I find a ROM and kernel in too manager.download it.and then I would need to go to recovery to flash right?
Once its downloaded via Goo Manager, you can return to the main screen and the option is there to flash. It will ask you what you want to do, make a Nandroid backup, wipes, etc. and then from there it will automatically do its thing and boot into your custom recovery and handle it all for you ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie