Problem with Download Mode

ash1348

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have never rooted my phone and I am not that interested in rooting, when I saw the new ICS 4.0.4 leak I thought my wait is over, however, I am having difficulty putting my phone into "download mode'' in order to use Odin program. When I push volume up+volume down+power, it takes me to unlock bootloader page. I have tried this so many times, taking out the battery, doing it while connected to usb or not, other combinations of keys, and nothing works. I also spent more than an hour searching forums and google searched, but couldn't find a solution. I would appreciate it if someone can help me out.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have never rooted my phone and I am not that interested in rooting, when I saw the new ICS 4.0.4 leak I thought my wait is over, however, I am having difficulty putting my phone into "download mode'' in order to use Odin program. When I push volume up+volume down+power, it takes me to unlock bootloader page. I have tried this so many times, taking out the battery, doing it while connected to usb or not, other combinations of keys, and nothing works. I also spent more than an hour searching forums and google searched, but couldn't find a solution. I would appreciate it if someone can help me out.

wrong forum...

Just flash it...

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

If I'm reading this right, the easiest way is to just have your phone off and a USB cable plugged into your computer and then hold vol+ and vol- while plugging the other end of the cable into your phone.

Yup, I just tried that, and it worked on mine.

The other option, which doesn't require rooting, but does require you to unlock the bootloader, is to flash the images via fastboot.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have done it dozens of times...

Best thing is to first hold the volume up+down together with two fingers then while holding take your other hand and tap the power button for about a 1/2 second... If it works you will almost immediately after tapping be presented with the Download Mode.

The whole cable connected thing isn't necessary until after you enter download mode.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't get the odin flashing to work either. The phone just never would show up in Odin.

I flashed via fastboot. You need to flash the "radio, boot, bootloader, userdata, system, and recovery" .img files with "fastboot flash <insert.area> <.img.file.name>", and its best to install the clockwod recovery mod afterwords with fastboot flash also. Becuase it would be best to wipe all and start fresh completely.

To use flash with fastboot you must unlock your boot loader with "fastboot oem unlock/lock" respectively.

Obviously odin makes this process easier. And there are no guides I know of to do it.

Even when you do all this, your going to be in new terrority because updates will come and its best to run completely stock vs stuff like this so then you have to reset everything.

So unless you know what your doing in the long wrong. Id wait :)

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
When I try to unlock the bootloader I get the "Unlock bootloader?" screen, but the yes and no options are not available. So I can't get it to unlock the booloader.

Any thoughts?

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
When I try to unlock the bootloader I get the "Unlock bootloader?" screen, but the yes and no options are not available. So I can't get it to unlock the booloader.

Any thoughts?

What method are you using to unlock? Are you using a one click root to or fast boot or what?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am pressing the center of the volume button, then either hit the power button, or plug in the USB. Either route yields the same result.
An incomplete rendering of the "Unlock Bootloader?" screen.

It is weird because I get the lock icon at the bottom, so it's not like it is stopping partially through the rendering of the screen. It is just not showing the yes/no options.
Also, right above the unlock screen there is the text :
USB Control Init
USB Control Init End

Last edited: