ROMs, kernels and basebands

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Since unlocking and rooting my phone I've been playing around with various ROMs, kernels and base bands/radios.

I've been left disappointed by most ROMs. Bugless beast works nicely, but I've had varying success with others (nuherti, cm9, codename, etc etc). Especially with getting gapps to work properly. I've now gone back to stock 4.0.4, I do miss some MODs, like additional power options and notification widgets. It would be great to add those in somehow without having to use a different ROM.

Matr1x is by far my most favourite kernel, it just seems to work nicely. I use Lulzactive governor. It keeps things rocking along and battery life seems great.

One of the best things I did was changing the baseband/radio. I'm using kl2 and I'm seeing better reception and blazing fast 4g speeds. 3g speed tests haven't been all that impressive though.

I highly recommend this set up for anyone who wants a stable and quick experience.

What do you use and what has been your experience?

Any tips on other mods and tweaks?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

evansgw

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I've now added Nova launcher and I'm really enjoying my phone again.

Might have to upgrade the wife's phone now I've got a stable and quick set-up.

Would like to add the notification widgets and power options, without going with another ROM. Any suggestions?

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
When I first rooted I tried a few different ROMS but in the end I kept going back to Peter's ROM with the matr1x kernel. I have had almost no problems that were not my own fault. The matr1x kernel is worth it just for the Voodoo colors.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've now added Nova launcher and I'm really enjoying my phone again.

Might have to upgrade the wife's phone now I've got a stable and quick set-up.

Would like to add the notification widgets and power options, without going with another ROM. Any suggestions?

How does Nova Launcher compare to the unique adjustments that CM has made to the launcher?

yankeevader

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally I like the MIUI Rom for the Nexus S 4g

Still havent found a baseband that actually fixes the awful wifi and call reception.
About to try the KL2 posted above.

Matr1x gives amazing battery life when coupled with MIUI no overclocking,
can go 3-4 days on standby with minimal use 2-5 min phone calls maybe 2-3 times a day.
great for military such as myself,
only major issue is the damn baseband being straight awful.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
LC1 is actually the most recent baseband to my knowledge. I just flashed it a few minutes ago. Reception might be a hair better than what I was getting on KL2, but not a huge improvement. Dont have the link ATM, I grabbed it the same time I got CNA 2.0, it was in the OP with the Codename ROM on XDA.

yankeevader

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
alright ill have a look. im not at all impressed with the KL2 could be my location but my brothers Evo gets a steady signal while my Nexus is stuck at 1 bar or less. 3g works but its so, so.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1077168

Has the download links for the baseband

UPDATE* 4/20/2011:
LC1 is worse in this area than the KL2
If your running ICS I HIGHLY recommend the Matr1x Kernel great battery life and combined with the KL2 Baseband I get acceptable phone usage.

Last edited: