[GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
how long am i supposed to wait on the <waiting for device> screen. and if something is wrong how do i fix the drivers or put it into fastboot

Most times the <waiting for device> prompt is due to driver/connection issues.

1. Try using PDAnet to install the drivers to your computer. First uninstall any current Samsung drivers on your computer, reboot, then run PDAnet on your computer and allow it to install the Samsung drivers.

2. I believe the authors of those OneClick's have a manual driver download available also. Some have success with this, some don't.

3. Lately I have run across many users having this problem while in their Bootloader trying to use FASTBOOT commands to restore their device. It seems quite a few people have had Power button failures to where the button is stuck or permanently engaged which is why they are trying to restore to stock to get it serviced/repaired/replaced. At this point into time I don't know of a work around to getting past this problem with the stuck power button but it seems to stop FASTBOOT from proceeding further and allowing flashing of the stock images.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I did the unroot direct to 4.0.4 but the screenshot doesnt work (power button + vol down).

What do I do?

Its built in as a part of AOSP, I know many people had a problem figuring out the right timing for the screenshot with ICS.

philb#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine hung there so long I gave up, I installed jellybutt, I figured one click not an option for me

sent from Amazon Fire running jellybean with taptalk2

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Paul,

I'm having a concussed brain day today. Can you help me. I'm currently running Bugless Beast, I'm root ( of course)
Can I use the one click to return to stock 4.1.1 to get Jelly Bean on my phone? Using CWM?
Then after I install just root JB? Total newbie question but I can't figure out the answer for the life of me today.

Thanks!

[URL="http://d-h.st/pAF" ]One Click Return To Stock 4.1.1[/URL]

This is a modded version of the file in the OP

So, it seems goo.im failed me (not the first time, but maybe the last). I am reuploading to another host.

Edit: link updated.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
No, this is not a flashable version. It runs from the PC and is essentially a script that automates fastbooting the partition images onto the phone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Exactly as he said... It will give you official JB but its not going to use CWM to do it.

FYI, I may build complete stock AOSP build of JellyBean this afternoon for those looking to flash it in CWM... No root, nothing.. Just the stock OS as if your recieved it OTA.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank you.
Would be nice if there was a flashable AOSP JB rom. If you did this I would have to reroot right? I'm still holding out hope Peter makes a Crespo4G bugless beast JB build.

Exactly as he said... It will give you official JB but its not going to use CWM to do it.

FYI, I may build complete stock AOSP build of JellyBean this afternoon for those looking to flash it in CWM... No root, nothing.. Just the stock OS as if your recieved it OTA.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you.
Would be nice if there was a flashable AOSP JB rom. If you did this I would have to reroot right? I'm still holding out hope Peter makes a Crespo4G bugless beast JB build.

There will be no BB jb. Pete noonger has a crespo. But he has released his source for those who want to build it!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

cdazz

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
This worked PERFECTLY! Android 4.1.1 OTA immediately started downloading upon bootup. Thanks for putting this together!

ndmoore86

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to go to stock but my charging port is jacked and I can only charge the phone and not sync it to my computer. Is there a way that I can do this from my phone without it being connected to the computer? I just want stock JB now.

Mordekai

May 26, 2012
Visit site
At which point should I start worrying that I may have a Nexus Brick? I have run this and been patient...20+ minutes stuck on the Google logo screen (the lock icon is now gone so the fastboot is re-locked). reboot/battery pull does nothing. I re-ran the .bat and it appears to have reloaded but I am still getting the same thing. What I have tried prior to this:

Fast boot OEM unlock -> Recovery = Dead android (never saw that before)
Forced in a Recovery.img (ver 3101) wiped cache, Data/factory reset = colorful boot splash screen that went no further.
Found a 4.0.4 zip and fastboot flash zip update.zip = Infinite Splash screen
ODIN to with IMM76D = bootloop
Tried a one-click that I found similar to this one = NOPE can't get to USB Debugging

Does anyone have the .tar files to load into ODIN so I can try that before I throw this away? I would need the specific place within Odin to put each .tar (the one listed above was labeled blahblaBOOTLOADER.tar, blahblahMODEM.tar, blahblahPDA.tar) Or if I could get a .zip over to the 'sd card' via ADB Bridge (again I would need the steps since I have failed at every attempt) I could force Recovery.img and 'boot .zip from SD Card'

edit: It's Hardbricked now...nevermind everyone!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to go to stock but my charging port is jacked and I can only charge the phone and not sync it to my computer. Is there a way that I can do this from my phone without it being connected to the computer? I just want stock JB now.
If your already rooted you can look around for a stock "rooted" version of JB. Otherwise you need a computer to flash the images or use the One Click.

At which point should I start worrying that I may have a Nexus Brick? I have run this and been patient...20+ minutes stuck on the Google logo screen (the lock icon is now gone so the fastboot is re-locked). reboot/battery pull does nothing. I re-ran the .bat and it appears to have reloaded but I am still getting the same thing. What I have tried prior to this:

Fast boot OEM unlock -> Recovery = Dead android (never saw that before)
Forced in a Recovery.img (ver 3101) wiped cache, Data/factory reset = colorful boot splash screen that went no further.
Found a 4.0.4 zip and fastboot flash zip update.zip = Infinite Splash screen
ODIN to with IMM76D = bootloop
Tried a one-click that I found similar to this one = NOPE can't get to USB Debugging

Does anyone have the .tar files to load into ODIN so I can try that before I throw this away? I would need the specific place within Odin to put each .tar (the one listed above was labeled blahblaBOOTLOADER.tar, blahblahMODEM.tar, blahblahPDA.tar) Or if I could get a .zip over to the 'sd card' via ADB Bridge (again I would need the steps since I have failed at every attempt) I could force Recovery.img and 'boot .zip from SD Card'

edit: It's Hardbricked now...nevermind everyone!
Sorry to here this... Sounds like you really got into a mess...

Lytspeed

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Paul627g, can you update the link to hlxanthus's One-Click-Stock JB build? The one in post #1 points to an invalid file on goo.im, but the one in post #44 points to the full 197 MB file.

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Trying to do the one_click_unroot. Need to restore to stock from my current custom rom and relock. Tried several times, but each time the process get stuck on the "sending system" part. It goes through the "sending boot" and "writing boot" parts okay, but gets stuck on the "sending system" stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Update: after this last (unsuccessful) attempt, now the phone just boots to the initial Google screen (with unlocked icon) and then goes blank with soft keys at bottom staying lit...

Nexus S 4G

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Help! I can't get it to recognize my device. I tried installing PDANet but that also can't find my device (gives error 103 and 104). I went to their site and installed the Samsung drivers like they recommended but that didn't fix it. Any fixes for this issue?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Help! I can't get it to recognize my device. I tried installing PDANet but that also can't find my device (gives error 103 and 104). I went to their site and installed the Samsung drivers like they recommended but that didn't fix it. Any fixes for this issue?
Can you provide a little description of the events leading up to this?

Plus as always try the usual....

Different USB cable, different ports (ones on the back closest to the motherboard are preferred), different computer if possible.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Can you provide a little description of the events leading up to this?

Plus as always try the usual....

Different USB cable, different ports (ones on the back closest to the motherboard are preferred), different computer if possible.

I finally got the driver to install by going into Device Manager (in Administrator Tools) and selecting the "?NexusS4G" and PDANet installed but now PDANet cannot connect because of an HTC Sync error. It says to uninstall HTC but I can't find that anywhere and never installed it myself (someone else oes have an HTC phone and connected it to this computer but never manually installed anything).

Using WinXP service pack 3. Tried it in all the USB slots. Restarted, etc. I have CM9 on the phone.