Getting Tether / Hotspot working ICS 4.0.4 with root

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
*** Edit - This process does not root but does enable the tether hotspot capability.

This is what i found to be the fewest steps to root and to get tether/hotspot working.

This works on the stock ICS 4.0.4 kernel.

Steps:

1. One Click Root 5.1 >> HERE - - Instruction video >> HERE

2. Add the CRESPO4GTETHERFIX zip below to the SD then install through recovery. http://www.peteralfonso.com/

That's it, the native tether app now works.

Not sure if 4G tether works because I dont have 4G here.

This does not work over (my) bluetooth.

Harald M?ller Hotspot Toggle Widget did not work but this one does >> HERE

PS - If after you do this process the Android recovery keeps coming up instead of custom recovery, apply the Fix-Recovery zip below.

-jc-

Last edited:
Reactions: surferboy

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
A few questions:

1. Will this delete any info on my phone?

2. When you say "install through recovery" what does that mean? How do I install via recovery?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
A few questions:

1. Will this delete any info on my phone?

2. When you say "install through recovery" what does that mean? How do I install via recovery?
1. yes, all of it.

2. you'll gain "recovery" after you go through the rooting process. its a method of installing files and ROMs and zips and updates......basically all the good stuff.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
1. yes, all of it.

2. you'll gain "recovery" after you go through the rooting process. its a method of installing files and ROMs and zips and updates......basically all the good stuff.

Thanks, is there anything I can use to backup and restore that info?

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, is there anything I can use to backup and restore that info?
You can copy your pictures and videos somewhere beforehand. All of your contacts are stored in gmail (assuming) and your apps SHOULD be backed up with Google but it doesn't always work. You'll still have a record of all of them but they dont always download when you activate the device again.

For texts I use the root version of this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...up&feature=more_from_developer&token=aFc9Kjcl It looks like it would get the job done if youre not rooted yet.

I cant think of anything else you would need to backup......texts with the app, contacts are in gmail, apps are in Play Store............thats it?

AS ALWAYS TYPICAL DISCLAIMER IF YOUR PHONE BLOWS UP OR YOU LOSE THOSE SPECIAL PICS OF THAT SPECIAL SOMEONE

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You can copy your pictures and videos somewhere beforehand. All of your contacts are stored in gmail (assuming) and your apps SHOULD be backed up with Google but it doesn't always work. You'll still have a record of all of them but they dont always download when you activate the device again.

I also use Astro to back up all my app APK's and save that backup file on my computer just in case Google backup fails.

Astro > here

-j-

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The one click root isn't working it stalls after I select my device and says waiting for device does anybody know what I am doing wrong?????

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

meangreenstebo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I used this process to root my Nexus S4G a few months ago. I had waffled around for months about rooting and finally took the plunge. I just updated to ICS and its all working great. One thing, its not optional to let the OTA break toot. You will have to unroot first if you rooted using KB KING's videos. I tried taking the OTA first and thought I had messed up my phone when a big triangle with red exclamation mark showed on the screen. Pulled the battery out and phone rebooted with Gingerbread. Followed the King's video to unroot and then followed the instructions above. You have to unzip Peter Alfonso's fix just like the root.zip file (in recover mode ). Just add that one step and you will be good to go. Really glad I upgraded. This firmware has brought new life to my old phone!

Last edited:

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm all for starting with a clean stock phone before applying these major OS updates. All the "complaints" peeps are having in the forums with ICS on the nexus I am not having, I love it. Although I did notice the slower USB transfer rate.

This is assuming you plan on rooting after ICS because you will wipe all your information/apps anyhow when you root, so might as well start fresh...

Is it unnecessary to go back to stock? Maybe, but I have zero issues with new OS updates when I do it this way.

I did it this way, these are easy guides....

1st -- One click un-root back to stock HERE ---- Instructional video HERE

2nd-- Once you are up and running back to stock Android. Let the phone download and install the ICS update.

3 -- Now you are at the latest Stock ICS.

4 -- Follow the first post in this thread to root.

j

Last edited:

xvolk418

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
The one click root isn't working it stalls after I select my device and says waiting for device does anybody know what I am doing wrong?????

I ran into this same problem. I think it's a driver issue which I had problems the first time i rooted. The best guide i found for manually installing the drivers is here. **Edit** the driver guide starts at 1:16 on the video.
Otherwise, you can use the Android SDK to install the driver as well. Hope it works.

XVOLK418
Nexus S 4G w/ CM9 Nightlies
TF201-T Transformer Prime

Last edited:

peoonline

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I followed your instructions using the One Click method by Shabby Penguin. Everything appears to work fine (I get a screen on my PC that reads, "congratulations.. you are now rooted".

However, when I run the app, "root checker", it tells me that I am not properly rooted. I have gone through the process again and "root checker" indicates that I'm not properly rooted. Any ideas.

I have a Nexus S 4G with ICS 4.0.4 . Thanks in advance!

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I followed your instructions using the One Click method by Shabby Penguin. Everything appears to work fine (I get a screen on my PC that reads, "congratulations.. you are now rooted"
However, when I run the app, "root checker", it tells me that I am not properly rooted. I have gone through the process again and "root checker" indicates that I'm not properly rooted. Any ideas.

I have a Nexus S 4G th ICS 4.0.4 . Thanks in advance!

I realized this yesterday too. I tried it again today, same result.
I only root to gain the hotspot functionality which is why I never realized I wasn't truly rooted.

J

jpv190

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
CRESPO4GTETHERFIX.zip MD5 c26e105b202245ff3c7c49172e26f257 and SHA1 b5b9872b6e88692f976ac3a4798434e549f62a89

Can someone verify that those numbers are correct please!

NOTE: Dont use that file anymore it makes ur phone have NO signal bars, no signal at all!! JB 4.1.1 Nexus S 4g libsec-ril.so @ libsec-ril.so

to restore do: adb push "≤pc/mac location>/libsec-ril.so" system/vendor/lib/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress