Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Default Re: So I messed up my phone.

It gives u option to root n unlock in simple steps. Very user friendly n so simple to use.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

I found one but it is the one I already have. The one where you click the run .bat file and it does it by itself all you have to do is press Y. But remember I cant get my phone into debugging mode. Whatever I do it has to be from the Bootload screen or the fast boot screen it seems I have been the closest to fixing it when doing something from either of these two places
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

I wonder if installing ClockWork Mod recovery will help...but then I think I cant even copy things to the USB storage so.....
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Wow this is interesting stuff...using the same method Paul gave me earlier with the command prompt on the FastBoot screen I was able to install ClockWorkMod Recovery hmmm......

now I have ClockWorkMod recovery and the messed up ROM but baby steps!!!

I see a mounts and storage option on this Recovery hmm... I wonder what I can do with that...

Wow...with this Clockwork Mod Recovery thing I can Mount my USB Storage from the Recovery to my PC....

Since I was able to install clockwork mod and I can navigate files on the storage now I tried to install ROMS on there just for the hell of it to see if something different starts and No. I installed some APEX Rom and the same ole tore up rom started
    Last edited by BenjaSands; 06-13-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

http://db.tt/MKsOOqzG one click nexus s 4G zip to folder. Select run n follow prompts to obtained root n/or unlock. Easy to root then perhaps u can access ur rooted apparently (rom manager). Just a thought. Shouldn't delete anything just add root.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Quote Originally Posted by androidtooley View Post
    http://db.tt/MKsOOqzG one click nexus s 4G zip to folder. Select run n follow prompts to obtained root n/or unlock. Easy to root then perhaps u can access ur rooted apparently (rom manager). Just a thought. Shouldn't delete anything just add root.
    Downloading and gonna give it a shot
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Its interesting man I installed ClockWorkMod and I am just messing with all kinda options haha and I hit something that said "Fix Permissions" and Now I restarted the phone (even though it is still on that tore up rom) USB Debugging is working Hmm...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

The Good news is I followed your guide and at first there was an error that said (this device is already unlocked) but I proceeded to the next step. I followed all the steps, but when I got to the final step that said "Scroll down and find root.zip" and install there was no file called root.zip. ...but I mean...

I think that "fixed permissions" thing fixed some things. Even though I keep starting on the messed up ROM I can now run some apps it seems without the error message. I just ran the messages Window succesfully and also The Phone app.

I also ran Wi Fi Tether just to see if it ran (and even though my phone is not activated) and it said "Wifi Tether has been granted SuperUser Permissions"

So I think I am rooted now..or atleast the root is fixed or something.

So Update: I still cant write or delete anything on the USB Storage, but it seems I can probably activate my phone and use it. USB Debugging works, I have ClockWord Mod now...and it seems to be rooted (again)

The Problem would be Imagine trying to activate this thing with a Sprint rep being that I have something that is not the Stock ROM.

Ideally, ima still try to find a way to restore this thing to factory GB or ICS either or. So I am going to keep trying. and just leave it on now with this tore up ROM being that it seems to be running a little better.

Hmmmm...... I am trying to think what should be my next step ...

I wonder if I should try something from this thread like the One Click Return to Stock
    but maybe do something things from ClockWork Mod before or something
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

So I went to Settings then "Erase USB Storage" "Return phone to factory settings"

and it rebooted

and now there is a White Triangle with an orange Exclamation Point inside with a little green adroid guy below it....

interesting.

I did a battery pull, restarted the phone and it is restarting and bam it starts once again on the backed up state it keeps starting (the picture with my home screen on it)

I keep installing different ROMS from the sd card or backups, and no matter which I install they all start the same ole rom (the picture with my home screen on it)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

Oh so I was able to access ROM Manager and I deleted the 3 backups there. One by one. And I restarted the phone into recovery and went to "Restore" and all 3 backups are still there....

It seems the reason nothing is getting done is because something is keeping everything from accessing the USB Storage. I just deleted the clockworkmod folder and Titanium Backup folder from the storage to see if I could and it deleted. Mounted again, and they were there agaiN!! THat **** is so frustrating
    Last edited by BenjaSands; 06-13-2012 at 10:44 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

Last update for the night. So I left the phone on just to see how it responds these next couple days. I am still on that tore up ROM (I think it was the Bugless Beat ROM or something cause I just took a picture with the Camera and it made a weird noise not the regular stock one)
    and you guys know how I am not able to write nothing or delete nothing to and from the USB Storage? Well...I just took a couple of pictures with the Camera and lo and behold they were in my Gallery. And I navigated to the DCIM folder where pictures are stored on The USB Storage and the pictures I just took are there!!!

Woah....so who knows.... Ima prob have to try and just stick with this ROM (which ever it officially is) and ima prob use the phone for a couple days just to take pictures and what not...and see overall how it works.

Something I noticed pretty interesting right now (attached screenshot) is that The Kernel (i dont even know what that is) is DIFFERENT right now than it was in my previous About Phone screenshot..... I wonder why

My theory is that everytime I install a backup (all of which are ICS backups) it installs only SOME things within the backups but other things stay the same which is why my phone starts and looks the same each time instead of it being a fresh install...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So I messed up my phone.-img00062-20120613-2128.jpg  
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

Reeal last update for the night haha

So...I tried to install different ROMS again and wiping from Custom Recovery..until finally it stayed at the google streen and wouldnt start.

So again, I fixed it by flashing the Stock ICS using Odin. It started but the same damn messed up ole rom. One thing I noticed there are waaaaaay more errors and "unfortunately so n so stopped" when I installed this stock 4.0.4. When I install a ROM (even though the same ole thing starts) it seems there are less bugs.....weird

And I restarted the phone to get into ClockWorkdMod Recovery and Now I wasnt able to... I got the little Android guy on his back with like his stomach open n some ref stuff hmm.... so installing this stock 4.0.4 (even though it doesnt install fresh) uninstalls Clockwork
    interesting
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Try unlocking then root. Don't bother with Rom Manager. Try one_click_stock return to stock. May or may not work, best of luck.

Fix permissions is basically granting acceptance for the different programs to access different parts of the phone. About ur Roman in Cwm I am curious if u have same rom with few different settings backed up (different kernel or different radio for example.)

If ur able to always reboot The phone using Odin, I'm hoping running stock Gb files will fix ur issue.

Holding up on volume n power will put ur phone in recovery mode. Holding both up n down on volume for a tap with power button does something different (I don't recall at the moment).

If u should Try different rom then be sure to clear everything cache n deve cache . So u may have a fresh install n no left over or cross exchange of information.

Should u get back to stock somehow know that u can backup ur stock as s a rom with rom manager. I've got both my original stock Gb backed up n also my stock I.c.S.backed up as well. Also u can back up the files to ur pc. Just go under clockworkmod select back up n drag n drop.

U may have to erase ur old Roms this way too. N the phone needs a os to run so it'll resort to current os program to run, yes even through a hard reset / factory reset, unless the original files are restored. My advice connect USB to pc access ur Cwm backup n resore, delete all options for backup n restore. Once done backup ur current rom so it's the only one u have. Then when unlocked n rooted Try running stock Gb. Hope III t takes back to stock. U can call in n have sprint reactivate the phone. Here's hoping.

Installing stock files Gb or I.c.S return t e phone to locked n unrooted. Ur root apps will be gone. Just download again. N they should access ur root files, yes ull have to unlock n root the phone once u get back to stock.
    Last edited by androidtooley; 06-14-2012 at 05:26 AM.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

There's a thread on here Odin install official 4.0.4 update. That may help as well.

Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip Install the NS4G drivers Download and unzip Odin v1.85 Open "Odin3_v1.85.exe" Power off the Nexus S 4G Put the Nexus S 4G into "Download Mode" by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see "COM#" fill in the first box. Click "BOOTLOADER" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar" Click "PDA" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar" Click "PHONE" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar" Click "Start"

Attached: Screenshot_2012-04-01-05-12-48.png (106.5 KB)

Try using ur official I.C.S files for this method. Best of luck.
    Last edited by androidtooley; 06-14-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Global Posts
    2,353 Global Posts

You've gone in so many circles I don't even know where to tell you to start.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Try unlocking then root. Don't bother with Rom Manager. Try one_click_stock return to stock. May or may not work, best of luck.

Fix permissions is basically granting acceptance for the different programs to access different parts of the phone. About ur Roman in Cwm I am curious if u have same rom with few different settings backed up (different kernel or different radio for example.)

If ur able to always reboot The phone using Odin, I'm hoping running stock Gb files will fix ur issue.

Holding up on volume n power will put ur phone in recovery mode. Holding both up n down on volume for a tap with power button does something different (I don't recall at the moment).

If u should Try different rom then be sure to clear everything cache n deve cache . So u may have a fresh install n no left over or cross exchange of information.

Should u get back to stock somehow know that u can backup ur stock as s a rom with rom manager. I've got both my original stock Gb backed up n also my stock I.c.S.backed up as well. Also u can back up the files to ur pc. Just go under clockworkmod select back up n drag n drop.

U may have to erase ur old Roms this way too. N the phone needs a os to run so it'll resort to current os program to run, yes even through a hard reset / factory reset, unless the original files are restored. My advice connect USB to pc access ur Cwm backup n resore, delete all options for backup n restore. Once done backup ur current rom so it's the only one u have. Then when unlocked n rooted Try running stock Gb. Hope III t takes back to stock. U can call in n have sprint reactivate the phone. Here's hoping.

Installing stock files Gb or I.c.S return t e phone to locked n unrooted. Ur root apps will be gone. Just download again. N they should access ur root files, yes ull have to unlock n root the phone once u get back to stock.
    Hmm back up the GB stock.. even though the phone will not start.. that seems like an interesting idea. And Yeah remember earlier USB debugging did not work? Well doing that fixed permissions thing fixed that apparently like you said. Right now I dont even know what to do. My friend told be Sprint wont mess with it at all because Its rooted so who knows...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  

There's a thread on here Odin install official 4.0.4 update. That may help as well.

Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip Install the NS4G drivers Download and unzip Odin v1.85 Open "Odin3_v1.85.exe" Power off the Nexus S 4G Put the Nexus S 4G into "Download Mode" by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see "COM#" fill in the first box. Click "BOOTLOADER" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar" Click "PDA" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar" Click "PHONE" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar" Click "Start"

Attached: Screenshot_2012-04-01-05-12-48.png (106.5 KB)

Try using ur official I.C.S files for this method. Best of luck.
    You know everytime I mention that i Put the ICS Stock on my phone that makes it start when it is stuck at the Google Screen? Well that guide you put up is the one I use. I mean the phone starts using that method but like I said the ICS that starts is not stock and fresh with wiped storage and everything..everything from my old Rom is still there. and everything on my USB Storage as well
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Quote Originally Posted by chud View Post
    You've gone in so many circles I don't even know where to tell you to start.
    haha

Let me summarize. My phone was rooted. I was trying different ROMS so I made a backup of one I think it was called Bugless Beast. I made a backup of it on ROM Manager in case I messed up the phone installing the other Roms. I also did a backup of another Rom Called Apex. I also used Titanium backup to backup installed apps...I did backups because I had installed all the apps I wanted in these Roms, games and what not and had my home screen and other screens customized how I liked.

So... I decided you know what I want my phone as stock Im tired of all this root stuff and all these custom Roms I just want it back to how it was out of box with Gingerbread. I wanted teh USB Storage erased too (nothing on it), go through setup, all that stuff. Like new.

So I found this guide and followed it [GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

Everything went through and was successful. So the phone rebooted and it stayed stuck on the Google screen and it never started this Gingerbread stock factory condition thing.

So I started trying different things. Accesing the USB Storage and deleting backups (I think the ClockWorkMod Backups are what is messing everything up) and also Titanium Backups just in case those are a problem. I tried to delete them and they did, Windows even showed the deleting files Window, I right click on the drive and Space was freed, but bam when I unmounted then remounted the Phone Everything I deleted was still there. So in short, I cant delete or copy anything to the USB Storage. The Stuff that is there is the stuff that has been there from when I made the Backups on ROM Manager.

Soo...here we are. I have tried every possible method both with Windows and OSX to restore the phone to stock Gingerbread and the phone shows success for every method but when it reboots it just stays stuck on the Google Screen. The only way I am able to make the phone start is if I install the Stock ICS using Odin OR installing one of the two backed up ROMs from the USB Storage. No matter which ROM I start though or if I do a fresh install of the Stock ICS 4.0.4 it always starts a BACKUP of an ICS ROM (Bugless beast) with all my old apps and everything and settings never a Fresh copy of anything (even though I do wipe data factory reset, wipe cache wipe dalvik n all that stuff)
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #70  

So chud, anywhere really is fine. I can access the phone if need be. Recovery, Custom Recovery, Bootload screen, Fast Boot screen ... Like I said the only issue which is prob the main reason nothing is getting wiped or installed fresh is not being able to copy files to the USB Storage or delete them manually in any way.

Oh and if you are wondering why I just dont use the phone if I am able to start it it is because Hardly any app runs. All my old app icons are on each screen and when I click one to run they dont start. And I just dont trust the ROM that loads. Ideally I would like the phone wiped of everything clean so I dont even root or mess with it again.

If worst comes to worst I will probably use the Messed up Rom that always starts and just try to fix elements within it. Like the trying to get my old apps to run ....everything just saying "unfortunately ..." so and so had to close and its fine I can do without apps, but the problem is this happens when I run basic apps Like the Messages app or even the Phone app. or my Contacts list closes too. That is why I want to wipe everything and start fresh
    Last edited by BenjaSands; 06-15-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Out of curiosity perhaps there's a way to run n install Gb using Odin. Also thought, perhaps the stock 4.0.4 is a rom someone mayhave posted n is the same u have. I have leaked version of 4.0.4 the rom that came out 1-2 days before the O.T.A. would u like to Try those files?

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Just thinking, I was running roms a while back n did get stuck on Google screen. This was with Gb rom. Perhaps just need the Google apps to install to run fully. Android is its own os made by Google, however the Google files ending thanthe phone will not start. Think ofit this way, many sprint phones use sprint specific apps(sprint TVs, sprint music n sprint Nav) if those files r missing than those apps cant be used. I'll upload the Google Gb files. Just install through recovery add. Zip n if all goes well u should see Google logo with android updating after.
    http://db.tt/C9ui3NqS Apps Gb
    Last edited by androidtooley; 06-15-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Last post before work, I have I.C.S to flash through fastboot. Have u tried this method?

http://db.tt/TTnfELnz I.C.S FASTboot

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1757-ns4g-stock-roms-how-to-rootunroot-ota-files-images/
    Last edited by androidtooley; 06-15-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts

Hope I've a solution. Just tried. Download onto phone from the link to get 4.0.4 stock all by phone)
    One Click Stock 4.0.4.zip than install by rom manager. I'm uploading my stock pure brand new I.c.s. backup from clockwork mod in hopes ull be able to place my backup into ur clockwork mod restore or backup folder n perhaps get you back to stock.

Click link by phone, enter answer ,download stock I.c.s. when download finished on phone go to downloads app n select the new downloaded stock 4.0.4 ,Than install by rom manager. Select all options except backup ( it'll backup bugles if u select). phone should run n install stock I.c.s. hope it works.

Must be rooted n unlocked.

I see this as a direct force install.

Should u get error after files install. Just reboot n see what the results are.
    Last edited by androidtooley; 06-15-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast