So I messed up my phone.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Last update for the night. So I left the phone on just to see how it responds these next couple days. I am still on that tore up ROM (I think it was the Bugless Beat ROM or something cause I just took a picture with the Camera and it made a weird noise not the regular stock one)
and you guys know how I am not able to write nothing or delete nothing to and from the USB Storage? Well...I just took a couple of pictures with the Camera and lo and behold they were in my Gallery. And I navigated to the DCIM folder where pictures are stored on The USB Storage and the pictures I just took are there!!!

Woah....so who knows.... Ima prob have to try and just stick with this ROM (which ever it officially is) and ima prob use the phone for a couple days just to take pictures and what not...and see overall how it works.

Something I noticed pretty interesting right now (attached screenshot) is that The Kernel (i dont even know what that is) is DIFFERENT right now than it was in my previous About Phone screenshot..... I wonder why

My theory is that everytime I install a backup (all of which are ICS backups) it installs only SOME things within the backups but other things stay the same which is why my phone starts and looks the same each time instead of it being a fresh install...

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Reeal last update for the night haha

So...I tried to install different ROMS again and wiping from Custom Recovery..until finally it stayed at the google streen and wouldnt start.

So again, I fixed it by flashing the Stock ICS using Odin. It started but the same damn messed up ole rom. One thing I noticed there are waaaaaay more errors and "unfortunately so n so stopped" when I installed this stock 4.0.4. When I install a ROM (even though the same ole thing starts) it seems there are less bugs.....weird

And I restarted the phone to get into ClockWorkdMod Recovery and Now I wasnt able to... I got the little Android guy on his back with like his stomach open n some ref stuff hmm.... so installing this stock 4.0.4 (even though it doesnt install fresh) uninstalls Clockwork
interesting

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Try unlocking then root. Don't bother with Rom Manager. Try one_click_stock return to stock. May or may not work, best of luck.

Fix permissions is basically granting acceptance for the different programs to access different parts of the phone. About ur Roman in Cwm I am curious if u have same rom with few different settings backed up (different kernel or different radio for example.)

If ur able to always reboot The phone using Odin, I'm hoping running stock Gb files will fix ur issue.

Holding up on volume n power will put ur phone in recovery mode. Holding both up n down on volume for a tap with power button does something different (I don't recall at the moment).

If u should Try different rom then be sure to clear everything cache n deve cache . So u may have a fresh install n no left over or cross exchange of information.

Should u get back to stock somehow know that u can backup ur stock as s a rom with rom manager. I've got both my original stock Gb backed up n also my stock I.c.S.backed up as well. Also u can back up the files to ur pc. Just go under clockworkmod select back up n drag n drop.

U may have to erase ur old Roms this way too. N the phone needs a os to run so it'll resort to current os program to run, yes even through a hard reset / factory reset, unless the original files are restored. My advice connect USB to pc access ur Cwm backup n resore, delete all options for backup n restore. Once done backup ur current rom so it's the only one u have. Then when unlocked n rooted Try running stock Gb. Hope III t takes back to stock. U can call in n have sprint reactivate the phone. Here's hoping.

Installing stock files Gb or I.c.S return t e phone to locked n unrooted. Ur root apps will be gone. Just download again. N they should access ur root files, yes ull have to unlock n root the phone once u get back to stock.

Last edited:

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There's a thread on here Odin install official 4.0.4 update. That may help as well.

Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip Install the NS4G drivers Download and unzip Odin v1.85 Open "Odin3_v1.85.exe" Power off the Nexus S 4G Put the Nexus S 4G into "Download Mode" by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see "COM#" fill in the first box. Click "BOOTLOADER" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar" Click "PDA" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar" Click "PHONE" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar" Click "Start"

Attached: Screenshot_2012-04-01-05-12-48.png (106.5 KB)

Try using ur official I.C.S files for this method. Best of luck.

Last edited:

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Try unlocking then root. Don't bother with Rom Manager. Try one_click_stock return to stock. May or may not work, best of luck.

Fix permissions is basically granting acceptance for the different programs to access different parts of the phone. About ur Roman in Cwm I am curious if u have same rom with few different settings backed up (different kernel or different radio for example.)

If ur able to always reboot The phone using Odin, I'm hoping running stock Gb files will fix ur issue.

Holding up on volume n power will put ur phone in recovery mode. Holding both up n down on volume for a tap with power button does something different (I don't recall at the moment).

If u should Try different rom then be sure to clear everything cache n deve cache . So u may have a fresh install n no left over or cross exchange of information.

Should u get back to stock somehow know that u can backup ur stock as s a rom with rom manager. I've got both my original stock Gb backed up n also my stock I.c.S.backed up as well. Also u can back up the files to ur pc. Just go under clockworkmod select back up n drag n drop.

U may have to erase ur old Roms this way too. N the phone needs a os to run so it'll resort to current os program to run, yes even through a hard reset / factory reset, unless the original files are restored. My advice connect USB to pc access ur Cwm backup n resore, delete all options for backup n restore. Once done backup ur current rom so it's the only one u have. Then when unlocked n rooted Try running stock Gb. Hope III t takes back to stock. U can call in n have sprint reactivate the phone. Here's hoping.

Installing stock files Gb or I.c.S return t e phone to locked n unrooted. Ur root apps will be gone. Just download again. N they should access ur root files, yes ull have to unlock n root the phone once u get back to stock.

Hmm back up the GB stock.. even though the phone will not start.. that seems like an interesting idea. And Yeah remember earlier USB debugging did not work? Well doing that fixed permissions thing fixed that apparently like you said. Right now I dont even know what to do. My friend told be Sprint wont mess with it at all because Its rooted so who knows...

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
There's a thread on here Odin install official 4.0.4 update. That may help as well.

Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip Install the NS4G drivers Download and unzip Odin v1.85 Open "Odin3_v1.85.exe" Power off the Nexus S 4G Put the Nexus S 4G into "Download Mode" by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see "COM#" fill in the first box. Click "BOOTLOADER" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar" Click "PDA" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar" Click "PHONE" and select "SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar" Click "Start"

Attached: Screenshot_2012-04-01-05-12-48.png (106.5 KB)

Try using ur official I.C.S files for this method. Best of luck.

You know everytime I mention that i Put the ICS Stock on my phone that makes it start when it is stuck at the Google Screen? Well that guide you put up is the one I use. I mean the phone starts using that method but like I said the ICS that starts is not stock and fresh with wiped storage and everything..everything from my old Rom is still there. and everything on my USB Storage as well

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You've gone in so many circles I don't even know where to tell you to start.

haha :(

Let me summarize. My phone was rooted. I was trying different ROMS so I made a backup of one I think it was called Bugless Beast. I made a backup of it on ROM Manager in case I messed up the phone installing the other Roms. I also did a backup of another Rom Called Apex. I also used Titanium backup to backup installed apps...I did backups because I had installed all the apps I wanted in these Roms, games and what not and had my home screen and other screens customized how I liked.

So... I decided you know what I want my phone as stock Im tired of all this root stuff and all these custom Roms I just want it back to how it was out of box with Gingerbread. I wanted teh USB Storage erased too (nothing on it), go through setup, all that stuff. Like new.

So I found this guide and followed it http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...39-guide-restore-stock-unroot-nexus-s-4g.html

Everything went through and was successful. So the phone rebooted and it stayed stuck on the Google screen and it never started this Gingerbread stock factory condition thing.

So I started trying different things. Accesing the USB Storage and deleting backups (I think the ClockWorkMod Backups are what is messing everything up) and also Titanium Backups just in case those are a problem. I tried to delete them and they did, Windows even showed the deleting files Window, I right click on the drive and Space was freed, but bam when I unmounted then remounted the Phone Everything I deleted was still there. So in short, I cant delete or copy anything to the USB Storage. The Stuff that is there is the stuff that has been there from when I made the Backups on ROM Manager.

Soo...here we are. I have tried every possible method both with Windows and OSX to restore the phone to stock Gingerbread and the phone shows success for every method but when it reboots it just stays stuck on the Google Screen. The only way I am able to make the phone start is if I install the Stock ICS using Odin OR installing one of the two backed up ROMs from the USB Storage. No matter which ROM I start though or if I do a fresh install of the Stock ICS 4.0.4 it always starts a BACKUP of an ICS ROM (Bugless beast) with all my old apps and everything and settings never a Fresh copy of anything (even though I do wipe data factory reset, wipe cache wipe dalvik n all that stuff)

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So chud, anywhere really is fine. I can access the phone if need be. Recovery, Custom Recovery, Bootload screen, Fast Boot screen ... Like I said the only issue which is prob the main reason nothing is getting wiped or installed fresh is not being able to copy files to the USB Storage or delete them manually in any way.

Oh and if you are wondering why I just dont use the phone if I am able to start it it is because Hardly any app runs. All my old app icons are on each screen and when I click one to run they dont start. And I just dont trust the ROM that loads. Ideally I would like the phone wiped of everything clean so I dont even root or mess with it again.

If worst comes to worst I will probably use the Messed up Rom that always starts and just try to fix elements within it. Like the trying to get my old apps to run ....everything just saying "unfortunately ..." so and so had to close and its fine I can do without apps, but the problem is this happens when I run basic apps Like the Messages app or even the Phone app. or my Contacts list closes too. That is why I want to wipe everything and start fresh

Last edited:

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity perhaps there's a way to run n install Gb using Odin. Also thought, perhaps the stock 4.0.4 is a rom someone mayhave posted n is the same u have. I have leaked version of 4.0.4 the rom that came out 1-2 days before the O.T.A. would u like to Try those files?

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Just thinking, I was running roms a while back n did get stuck on Google screen. This was with Gb rom. Perhaps just need the Google apps to install to run fully. Android is its own os made by Google, however the Google files ending thanthe phone will not start. Think ofit this way, many sprint phones use sprint specific apps(sprint TVs, sprint music n sprint Nav) if those files r missing than those apps cant be used. I'll upload the Google Gb files. Just install through recovery add. Zip n if all goes well u should see Google logo with android updating after.
http://db.tt/C9ui3NqS Apps Gb

Last edited:

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Last post before work, I have I.C.S to flash through fastboot. Have u tried this method?

http://db.tt/TTnfELnz I.C.S FASTboot

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/1757-ns4g-stock-roms-how-to-rootunroot-ota-files-images/

Last edited:

TOOLEY

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Hope I've a solution. Just tried. Download onto phone from the link to get 4.0.4 stock all by phone)
One Click Stock 4.0.4.zip than install by rom manager. I'm uploading my stock pure brand new I.c.s. backup from clockwork mod in hopes ull be able to place my backup into ur clockwork mod restore or backup folder n perhaps get you back to stock.

Click link by phone, enter answer ,download stock I.c.s. when download finished on phone go to downloads app n select the new downloaded stock 4.0.4 ,Than install by rom manager. Select all options except backup ( it'll backup bugles if u select).? phone should run n install stock I.c.s. hope it works.

Must be rooted n unlocked.

I see this as a direct force install.

Should u get error after files install. Just reboot n see what the results are.

Last edited:

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity perhaps there's a way to run n install Gb using Odin. Also thought, perhaps the stock 4.0.4 is a rom someone mayhave posted n is the same u have. I have leaked version of 4.0.4 the rom that came out 1-2 days before the O.T.A. would u like to Try those files?

Well I installed Gingerbread with Odin by installing the PDA file. And it just was stuck on the Google Screen and never started. And the 4.0.4 I install using Odin is the leaked 4.0.4 on this website.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Just thinking, I was running roms a while back n did get stuck on Google screen. This was with Gb rom. Perhaps just need the Google apps to install to run fully. Android is its own os made by Google, however the Google files ending thanthe phone will not start. Think ofit this way, many sprint phones use sprint specific apps(sprint TVs, sprint music n sprint Nav) if those files r missing than those apps cant be used. I'll upload the Google Gb files. Just install through recovery add. Zip n if all goes well u should see Google logo with android updating after.
http://db.tt/C9ui3NqS Apps Gb

Thats an interesting theory. I let my friend give it a shot now he is the one who knows a little more about all this rooting stuff and everything. He will have my phone a little while and if he cant return it to Stock GB, or atleast make the ICS ROM that starts USABLE then I might continue messing with it.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Last post before work, I have I.C.S to flash through fastboot. Have u tried this method?

http://db.tt/TTnfELnz I.C.S FASTboot

[NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - Nexus S / Nexus S 4G - RootzWiki

Wow ICS through fast boot that sounds interesting. I am downloading them now just to have the files for when I get my phone back.

And that rootzwiki post I looked at throughout all this. It seems like it could be successful but the problem is when I have to copy to my USB Storage. I seemingly cant copy anything to the USB Storage or delete from it. Surprisingly I can copy from it though.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hope I've a solution. Just tried. Download onto phone from the link to get 4.0.4 stock all by phone)
One Click Stock 4.0.4.zip than install by rom manager. I'm uploading my stock pure brand new I.c.s. backup from clockwork mod in hopes ull be able to place my backup into ur clockwork mod restore or backup folder n perhaps get you back to stock.

Click link by phone, enter answer ,download stock I.c.s. when download finished on phone go to downloads app n select the new downloaded stock 4.0.4 ,Than install by rom manager. Select all options except backup ( it'll backup bugles if u select).? phone should run n install stock I.c.s. hope it works.

Must be rooted n unlocked.

I see this as a direct force install.

Should u get error after files install. Just reboot n see what the results are.

Oh wow this seems like a Great Method. Complicated, but I will give it a shot. I will try the other method you mentioned before as well. As a matter of fact I might go get my phone just to give these a try!

Im excited again we can find a solution :cool:

Cause you are right its almost like this thing needs some kinda force install or something. And Something similar with the USB Storage. Time and Time again I "Erase usb storage" "return to factory settings" through the phone and it just restarts and nothing happens. Its pretty crazy stuff. Or Wipe data, factory reset from recovery and everything is still in the USB Storage.