Rooting for the First Time

unechevre

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm pretty tech savvy, but not a genius like most of you all :p. I would like to root my Nexus S 4G so that I can install Jelly Bean. (I'm impatient and don't want to wait for Sprint to push it out, lol). Is this a good enough reason to root a phone? I'm currently running ICS (my phone came with it when I bought it).

I've read through how to root the phone, that seems pretty straight forward to me, what I'm not sure on is how to get a hold of Jelly Bean? Could anyone give some advice to a newby? :)

Much Appreciated.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm pretty tech savvy, but not a genius like most of you all :p. I would like to root my Nexus S 4G so that I can install Jelly Bean. (I'm impatient and don't want to wait for Sprint to push it out, lol). Is this a good enough reason to root a phone? I'm currently running ICS (my phone came with it when I bought it).

I've read through how to root the phone, that seems pretty straight forward to me, what I'm not sure on is how to get a hold of Jelly Bean? Could anyone give some advice to a newby? :)

Much Appreciated.

It's as good enough reason as any! Rooting gives your phone(superuser) access to parts of the phone that otherwise you would not be able to access. Installing custom roms,kernels,themes, over clocking the CPU, changing icons, etc. It makes your phone experience a lot of fun being able to change up your phone when you feel necessary. As far as jellybean, check the threads on Android Central or on xda! I'm sure you will find someone working on a ROM for your phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

unechevre

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!! The only thing I'm unsure of: when I root and install jelly bean will my phone be wiped?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I answered my own question however does anyone recommend a good backup program?

once your rooted and have custom recovery installed (CWM or TWRP) you can
A. Make a nandroid backup in your custom recovery which is a full image of your device. System, apps, data, kernel, etc.

B. Titanium or My Backup Root from the Play Store will do individual or full app and data backup and restore.

blu8503

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
If I'm installing jelly bean will I be able to use the full image back up?

When you root your phone it will wipe everything. Once you are rooted you can make full backups as explained in the previous post. I would suggest just hooking up to a computer and copy stuff you don't wanna lose. Contacts and apps can always be brought back from the play store but the data in the app cannot without using Titanium or a similar backup program

unechevre

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I figured out the whole, back up thing and got my phone unlocked in boot loader while attempting the one click option. But I have been trying for 10 hours to get my phone to root and can not for the life of me get it to do so. PDANET is not working for me to get the drivers installed. If I can get passed that point, I think I can move forward, but right now that's where I'm stuck. I'm able to install PDANET on my computer, but getting it installed on my phone is impossible, it seems.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can install PDAnet on your phone in two ways..

1. Download it directly from the Google Play Store.

2. Allow the PDAnet app on your computer to install it to your device...

As for rooting the device... Does the computer recognize your device when you boot into your bootloader and connect your USB cable?

If so your literally only a few steps from being rooted, even using the manual method instead of the one clicks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1