Help - OTA Jelly Bean update fails - unlocked stock rom

surferboy

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried letting the OTA Jelly Bean update apply to my phone though once it booted got the exclamation point with the andriod guy. Had to pull battery then it booted back to ICS.

Not rooted, though unlocked as installed the tether fix with Clockwork Mod a long time ago.

Not sure the best plan to take, try to recovery back to stock ICS? Does anyone have a stock ICS image? Factory reset?

I'll lose everything on my phone either way right.

Thanks for any help!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

The custom recovery (CWM) is the problem. It's causing the OTA to fail on install.

You can flash the stock recovery back to the device and then you should be able to redo the OTA install....

I have provided a custom little package for you below. Download it, extract the contents to a folder in your hard drive on your computer.

Boot into your bootloader on your device (From powered off state, Press and hold Volume Up+Power).

Connect your device via USB cable to your computer. Hopefully you have a working connection (If not, download PDAnet on your computer and let it install the device drivers. Follow the instructions in PDAnet).

Once your connected, look inside those files I sent you and click on the "run.bat" file. It will automatically install the stock recovery back to your device and reboot when done. Take under a minute to flash.

Then try to force the OTA update again if you don't receive it automatically and let it rock... Only thing I can see causing it to fail from there is the wireless tethering but it may let it slide by with the stock recovery now.

Report back with results.. Good luck!

View attachment stock recovery_ns4g_4.0.4.zip

Attachments

• stock recovery_ns4g_4.0.4.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 77

surferboy

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Paul for the file and instructions! I will give this a try tomorrow and report back.

Will I lose all my apps, pics, etc?

Thanks again!
Surferboy

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No. All your doing here is replacing the custom recovery CWM with the stock recovery.

From there if the OTA works you shouldn't loose any information. Make a backup of any pics and stuff from your sdcard/internal storage. I always do just in case of the unknown....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

surferboy

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I followed your steps and ran "run.bat" from the bootloader with usb connected. It exacuted a little dos window mentioning the recovery, went by in a few seconds and my phone rebooted. Tried to force the system update under settings "system update" and its says my phone "your system is currently up to date" - maybe the OTA update with prompt again on its own sometime??

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I followed your steps and ran "run.bat" from the bootloader with usb connected. It exacuted a little dos window mentioning the recovery, went by in a few seconds and my phone rebooted. Tried to force the system update under settings "system update" and its says my phone "your system is currently up to date" - maybe the OTA update with prompt again on its own sometime??

Look under Settings/About Phone...

What version of Android does it say you have under Android version and baseband... Post a screenshot and that will work too...

I'm going to guess the OTA needs to hit your phone again.

t_westley

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Paul627g, I was having the same issue as surferboy. I had no Idea what the issue was because I had bought the device from ebay. I just wanted to verify that you were correct and that your method worked. Thank you so much for your knowledge.

dimapb

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Paul,
I have followed your instructions and everything worked great. It did take a couple of days for the update to hit my phone again. I have completed an upgrade, but now I'd like to regain root access. What's the simplest process to do so? Thank you.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

newsdawg

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all this info. I'm waiting for the update to hit my phone again. In the meantime:

I discovered that my phone wasn't being recognized by fastboot (the program that Paul's download is using). Of course checking that the phone is in USB debugging mode, my phone still wasn't being recognized.

Apparently, being in Windows 7 64-bit mode causes some problems. But easily fixed by installing the drivers from PdaNet. Follow the regular instructions. *Be sure to reboot your PC once PdaNet is installed!

This loads new drivers onto the system that will then recognize the phone. No need to connect via PdaNet or anything else. Once installed, fastboot and all the other instructions above work fine.

Also, in case you're wondering, once you've flashed this stock recovery, trying to go to "Recovery" from the bootloaded will you just get you a red triangle with an exclamation point. This is normal and means you've been successful.

Aloha & Mahalo.

jdoggvt

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You can force it to search for the OTA update by going to settings > apps > all > Google Services Framework and clearing the data. Then go into about > system updates > check now and if you're on wifi it'll download again.

Mine keeps failing though and I can't really figure out why. My phone is rooted and I had clockworkmod installed until earlier today when I restored the factory recovery using Nexus Toolkit 1.5.3. When I boot into recovery I get the little guy on his back with the red exclamation point so I guess that was successful but when I attempt to update the system it reboots into the little guy with the spinning ball and the status bar, gets 1/3 of the way through, and goes back to the guy on his back (recovery mode) where it sits until it reboots into ICS. Would this .zip help me at all?

tia!

update: I flashed that image via the toolkit and the phone wouldn't boot past the Google screen. I flashed stock recovery again and it turned on, tried to ota update it again and still no dice, just ended up at the exclamation point screen. Am I missing something simple?

Last edited:

thedeebow

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Same thing that jdoggvt mentioned is happening for me as well. Clicked on .bat file. Phone rebooted. Downloaded OTA update. Restarted & Installed. Reboots into the little guy with the spinning ball and the status bar, gets 1/3 of the way through, and goes back to the guy on his back (recovery mode) where it sits until I take battery out and starts up in ICS.

So is it still CWM that's causing the problem?

Here's my phone info in case it's helpful:
Model Info - Nexis S 4G
Android Version - 4.0.4
Baseband Version - D720SPRLC1
Kernal Version - 3.0.8-g6656123 android-build@vpbs1 #1
Build Number - IMM76D

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Same thing that jdoggvt mentioned is happening for me as well. Clicked on .bat file. Phone rebooted. Downloaded OTA update. Restarted & Installed. Reboots into the little guy with the spinning ball and the status bar, gets 1/3 of the way through, and goes back to the guy on his back (recovery mode) where it sits until I take battery out and starts up in ICS.

So is it still CWM that's causing the problem?

Here's my phone info in case it's helpful:
Model Info - Nexis S 4G
Android Version - 4.0.4
Baseband Version - D720SPRLC1
Kernal Version - 3.0.8-g6656123 android-build@vpbs1 #1
Build Number - IMM76D

Thanks!

Yes I would use my instructions to flash the stock recovery and it should work then.

thedeebow

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Paul627g , I flashed the stock recovery using file you posted and same thing happens. When I install OTA JB update, goes about 1/3 way through, android dude shows up, restarts to ICS. Any ideas on how to fix?

---------- Post Merged at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Paul627g , I flashed the stock recovery using file you posted and same thing happens. When I install OTA JB update, goes about 1/3 way through, android dude shows up, restarts to ICS. Any ideas on how to fix?

thegistsmith

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I ran across your post while searching for NS 4g roms and remember having a similar problem when I was still on rooted ICS with ClockWorkMod 6.0.1.0 for recovery. I got the the OTA update for JB several times. When I would select for the update to run from the little pop-up window the phone would power off and at reboot go to the little droid guy with the red triangle and exclamation mark over his belly and I'd have to re-boot - - - back to ICS =/ It occurred to me to go into about phone and check for updates, and it came up with the update - I selected it from there and after a short while it told me to reboot. I rebooted and as it was applying the JB4.1.1 update CWM actually guided me through it so that I wouldn't lose root...then my phone started and I was running JB4.1.1 and still had root =]Don't know if you're still trying to solve this issue or moved on already, but hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34