Stock JellyBean bad for battery, what about CM10?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I've been reading that stock JellyBean is killing a lot of people's battery life on the NS4G. What about Cyanogenmod 10? How's the battery life on that versus CM9 or even ICS stock?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well any custom ROM will always be better than stock, normally for the simple fact that its been optimized for best performance over what Google has released and normally they are packaged with a custom kernel that is always better performing than stock.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading that stock JellyBean is killing a lot of people's battery life on the NS4G. What about Cyanogenmod 10? How's the battery life on that versus CM9 or even ICS stock?

Fwiw, while I loved the stock CM10 kernel for its snappiness, it drained my battery like nothing I've ever experienced. But, different phones, so maybe it's just apt for the Galaxy Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll agree on CM... CM has never really been known for having outstanding kernels.... They put together a heck of a ROM base but kernels... Not...

I forget about this since I always flash something over the top of CM's kernel.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've read on XDA that the current incarnation of CM isn't compatible with many of the custom kernels. I have no idea why or which ones though.

Good battery life is kind of subjective though. Personally, as long as I can go around 24 hours on a charge I'm pretty happy. But that's for my specific use case. I get that kind of battery life with CM10. I was getting similar battery life with CM9. The biggest problem for me is that I flash the nightlies every time a new one comes out. So my phone never really settles in to one rom for very long. When I do allow a rom to settle in, I generally see an improvement in battery life.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'll agree on CM... CM has never really been known for having outstanding kernels.... They put together a heck of a ROM base but kernels... Not...

I forget about this since I always flash something over the top of CM's kernel.
Paul, can you recommend a good battery-saving ROM that works with CM9 and one that works well with CM10?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul, can you recommend a good battery-saving ROM that works with CM9 and one that works well with CM10?

You know honestly I'm so out of the loop on current ROMs.

I would stick with the big names naturally... Stay away from the little guys.. ROMs are entirely up to you and your preferences... The kernel is where it counts.

Go Franco's, Matr1x, Trinity...

Sometimes it takes a little trial and error for a few days to find that right one ;)

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have some experiences now that CM10's been out (in monthly) for a while? Is Matr1x much better for the battery?

Michelle Dale

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus S, and have been using CM 10 for nearly 2 months. It was great until a week or so ago. Suddenly I couldn't go more than 3.5 hours without needing a charge (From full charge to 10%). Had the battery tested, it was bad. So I replaced the battery, and still have the same issue. Haven't had a chance to have the new battery tested. My battery stats say that my screen is using the most battery (33%) followed by Android System (14%). The phone is awake a lot, even when I'm not using it at all. I've disabled Google Now, the location services, NFC, maps, etc. All of the possible solutions I've read in other threads. Nothing seems to help.

Prior to the sudden issue, I wouldn't need to charge the phone until I went to bed around 10pm and started using it around 7 am. Usage included lots of calls, a good bit of texts, Facebook 2 to 3 times a day for about 10 minutes at a time, Gmail several times a day, MyFitness Pal and its built-in barcode reader, and the occasional navigation app. I hope there's a fix for this problem soon. I'll post again as soon as I determine whether or not the new battery is a dud.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thats unfortunate. This is another example of JB not being good to the older Nexus line, actually its even giving trouble to the newer Nexus's and SGS 3's, etc.... JB has many bells and whistles but it seems to be very inefficient on battery life among other things.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR