Sprint Nexus S 4G: No Service, Unknown Baseband after Jelly Bean update

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Having serious problem, can't seem to find solution.

Was running ICS, rooted, with WiFi tether fix, and CWM Recovery. Was unable to update OTA to Jelly Bean. I came across a thread explaining that the update would fail if you were running anything other than stock recovery, so I flashed the stock recovery in fastboot, then rebooted the phone and "successfully" applied the OTA 4.1.1 update. Note that I fully expected to lose root and WiFi tethering, which was fine. I figured I'd fix them both later.

Unfortunately, this killed my cell service. The service icon in the notification bar showed no connection at all, and upon looking at the "About Phone" screen under "System Settings", I see that my baseband version is "unknown".

I tried flashing the most recent baseband radio via fastboot, which I found here: (RADIOS) **SPRINT** CDMA Basebands-Updated 09-10-2012 - xda-developers. It appeared to flash fine, but upon booting the phone I found that nothing had changed.

So I visited Googles "Factory Images" page, downloaded the 4.1.1 images for the NS4G, and went through the process of just restoring the phone to factory everything. AFTER the last fastboot command is sent, I get the following:

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: D720SPRLC1
Baseband Version.....: D720SPRLC1
Serial Number........: 3733BB107BF700EC
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.001s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.001s]
checking version-baseband...
FAILED

Device version-baseband is 'D720SPRLC1'.
Update requires 'D720SPRLF2'.

finished. total time: 0.006s

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on here? I restored my phone (and another NS4G) using the Google factory images for ICS several times in the past, without a hitch. For my own sanity, I restored using the ICS images, and all worked fine. It's just the 4.1.1 images, presumably the radio, that is failing. I just cannot figure this out and my fail-safe plan (restore via factory images) isn't working. I have not tried the OTA immediately after restoring ICS, and would rather not...the factory images should work, right?

Thanks in advance....

UPDATE: After a fresh ICS restore (from Google Factory Images), I am able to apply the OTA and everything seems to work fine. Baseband version shows as D720SPRLF2. Why, then, does a complete factory restore fail when using the images on Google's server for 4.1.1? Upon further inspection of the image files, I see that the radio file is "radio-crespo4g-d720sprlc1.img". If I trust the file name, this is clearly not the right one.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: No Service, Unknown Baseband after Jelly Bean update

Anyone...? Sorry if I over-explained my problem. I suspect that the WiFi tether fix is what broke my cell service, and I'll consider that a moot point now. The bigger issue, now, is that I am unable to successfully restore my phone using Googles factory images via fastboot. According to the fastboot messages, something isn't right with the radio image. I looked at the name of the image file, and it looks like the old radio file that came with the 4.0.4 ICS images.

Anyone else have issues restoring from Googles 4.1.1 Jelly Bean images? Can anyone confirm whether or not they packaged the wrong (old) version of the baseband radio image?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I used the 4.1.1 factory images on mine and all seems fine.

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Ok, not sure if anyone is following this at all anymore, but I confirmed something quite strange (read my first post to understand my initial problem).

So I downloaded the factory images for 4.1.1 on October 3. I kept the original TAR file for my own archive purposes.

.tar file name: sojus-jro03r-factory-e949351b

After extracting the files, I see the radio image file has the exact same name as the file packaged with the 4.0.4 ICS images.

Radio image file name: radio-crespo4g-d720sprlc1.img

I've extracted the files from the original TAR file several times, just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Now as I described in my original and subsequent posts, my cell radio quit working after applying the Jelly Bean (4.1.1) update OTA. I suspect this was due something with the native hotspot fix that I had been using with Gingerbread and ICS. So I backed up my important app data, and continued doing a full restore from the factory images for Jelly Bean (4.1.1) instead. However, I was never able to successfully restore using the factory images. The process always failed, seemingly because the JB image required a radio file other than the one being flashed (as you can see in my first post, where I've pasted the fastboot messages as seen in my terminal window).

Since I was unable to restore using the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 factory images, I decided to restore to factory ICS using the 4.0.4 factory images, which worked perfectly. I then allowed the phone to receive the Jelly Bean (4.1.1) update OTA, and everything was fine. So that's what I'm running on now (which I then rooted, with CWM recovery installed).

Now this has been bugging the crap out of me, so tonight I went to the Nexus factory image download page again and re-downloaded the Jelly Bean (4.1.1) factory images. But the .tar file I ended up with is different than the one I got before.

NEW .tar file name: sojus-jro03r-factory-59a247f5.tar

which contains a different radio file:

NEW radio image file name: radio-crespo4g-d720sprlf2

Which as you can see matches the baseband version required for 4.1.1

So....did ANYONE else have this problem? The 4.1.1 images posted on the Google Developer page were clearly goofed up when I happened to download them the first time. And yes, I am certain I did not download the wrong ones, because I downloaded them 3 different times that night, and the other files contained in the archive were correct (and the radio file was the same as the old ICS radio file. I haven't tried to restore using the images I just downloaded, but I am confident they will work and I intend to use them on my friends NS4G this week (will report if they still dont work).

Anybody want to throw darts at this one? :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Yes it appears the first package put up by Google was goofed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Ok..."Good", as in "good i'm not crazy", not "good that google goofed".

I was just about to add that, the same night I got the "goofed" files, I went in search of the radio file, and downloaded it from here;
(RADIOS) **SPRINT** CDMA Basebands-Updated 09-10-2012 - xda-developers

As you'd expect, that file was wrong too, presumably because it was originally sourced from the wrong one. I was only able to confirm it was the wrong file after I flashed it and got the same fastboot messages (same incorrect baseband version). I have not downloaded this one again to see if it's been corrected or not, as that would involve re-flashing my phone again. (I dont have a way to process the checksum, so i'd just look for the fastboot messages after flashing).

Glad it's fixed now. And Paul, thank you for confirming this for me.

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

No problem. I saw evidence of this in another thread we have here where I was helping a few members that came across the same situation. So this confirms along with newer filenames & checksums that Google updated the files.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

anon(426594)

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Hello again.
Not sure if anyone is still keeping tabs on this thread, but I discovered something else about this issue that I hope someone can shed some light on.

As stated earlier, I'm talking about issues I had when updating my NS4G to 4.1.1 JB several weeks ago. I was able to get the device fully updated by using the factory images and fastboot to flash stock 4.0.4 ICS to the device, then letting the device update OTA. This was before Google updated the factory image package to include a new radio image (presumably the first radio was wrong, though I believe it was the radio used with 4.0.4). I later used the updated factory images to restore the same phone again, just as a test, and everything worked fine. So I assumed all was good, until I tried to restore another NS4G using the same images, and I got the same errors as described above.

I won't describe all my tests, but here's what I discovered: when flashing the radio image, the process appears to work fine (the terminal window messages and the fastboot messages on the device all indicate everything is good). But upon immediate reboot of fastboot, the Baseband Version appears unchanged. For example, assume that I have stock 4.0.4 ICS on my device. In the fastboot screen, the Baseband Version shows D720SPRLC1. In the process of updating to 4.1.1, I flash the radio version D720SPRLF2, then reboot the bootloader. But the Baseband Version still shows D720SPRLC1 (also, this is true whether I send the fastboot commands manually or use the Google-provided flash-all.sh script). Since the Baseband Version still shows as the "old" radio, the subsequent attempt to flash the system image also fails...a consequence of an incorrect radio software. Note also that this problem does not occur when flashing the bootloader image...the Bootloader Version always correctly displays what was just flashed, as long as I make sure to reboot the bootloader.

Here's where it gets more weird...if I flash the radio, then reboot the SYSTEM and let the phone boot as normal (regardless of which version of Android is actually installed a the time), then just power-off and boot to fastboot again, the Baseband Version changes to the one I just flashed. I have experimented back-and-forth with the above mentioned radio images (and with the 2.3.7 GB radio file, which I believe is the wrong file btw), and it always proves true. No matter what, if I flash the radio, it doesn't seem to register correctly until the phone has booted up once. So in the case of a full fresh factory restore, instead of flashing bootloader/radio/system in order, I have to flash bootloader/radio, then boot the phone, then shut down and flash the system.

I'm certain that this is NOT the intended behavior, but have confirmed it on BOTH of my NS4G phones. I can also confirm that this does NOT happen with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus, as I've flashed new radios independently to that phone a dozen times and fastboot always correctly displays the Baseband Version.

The only conclusion I've come to is that there is something about the Wi-Fi tether fix (created by Peter Alfonso) that lingers and is affecting the hardware in some way. I had applied this patch to both NS4G phones and used it successfully with all software versions through 4.0.4 ICS.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? It's not rendering my hardware useless at this point, just makes the restoration process a bit more cumbersome, and as I said, I don't think this is the intended behavior and I believe something is "broken" in both NS4G phones.

julien roche

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi

I'm not sure you still read this post, but I got the same problem with the 4.2.2 version .
I did the stock update this morning (OTA), and I lost my network, baseband, APN...
I think that google send me an old baseband version with the update as you explained...
Could you help me to recover my network ...

thx in advance

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

What device are you on, and are you rooted/unlocked? If you and not unlocked, your process forward will likely wipe your device.

rsriram22

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Hello again.

Here's where it gets more weird...if I flash the radio, then reboot the SYSTEM and let the phone boot as normal (regardless of which version of Android is actually installed a the time), then just power-off and boot to fastboot again, the Baseband Version changes to the one I just flashed. I have experimented back-and-forth with the above mentioned radio images (and with the 2.3.7 GB radio file, which I believe is the wrong file btw), and it always proves true. No matter what, if I flash the radio, it doesn't seem to register correctly until the phone has booted up once. So in the case of a full fresh factory restore, instead of flashing bootloader/radio/system in order, I have to flash bootloader/radio, then boot the phone, then shut down and flash the system.

I'm certain that this is NOT the intended behavior, but have confirmed it on BOTH of my NS4G phones. I can also confirm that this does NOT happen with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus, as I've flashed new radios independently to that phone a dozen times and fastboot always correctly displays the Baseband Version.

The only conclusion I've come to is that there is something about the Wi-Fi tether fix (created by Peter Alfonso) that lingers and is affecting the hardware in some way. I had applied this patch to both NS4G phones and used it successfully with all software versions through 4.0.4 ICS.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? It's not rendering my hardware useless at this point, just makes the restoration process a bit more cumbersome, and as I said, I don't think this is the intended behavior and I believe something is "broken" in both NS4G phones.

i had the same issue and i can confirm that this is what i had to do to get the zip file to flash..bootloader and radio would flash just fine but the bootloader reports as D720SPRLC1. so i had to shutoff the phone completely, restart the phone into the normal android and then reboot into bootloader for the bootloader to report properly..

just bumped into this thread when i was trying to find out if anyone else had a same issue..

so yes, Nexus S 4G (Sprint version) does have a problem

cheers!

Marc Stephen Lim

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

hello there sir :D
can you help me fix my phone?
i got omega hd 2.0, and had it flashed. jellybean 4.2.1 version.
after that i got "unknown baseband version"
can you help me or a tutorial for these problem?
please sir im so desperate :(

Rajz Trigo

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

For those who having problem in IMEI or Unknown Baseband in Cherry Mobile Omega HD 2.0 Contact me 09154062727. I know how to fix it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech