New to the NS4G, working on my setup

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I was looking for some feedback. I'm currently in the process of setting up my phone and watching both performance and battery life. I'm not a heavy user, and when I am it's predominantly internet/web or streaming music. My current setup is as follows: AOKP JB M1 with Airkernel JBN Bluecolor clocked at 1k set to Lazy with Noop scheduler.

I'm considering going to Ondemand, but Lazy seems to produce better battery life with little performance impact. Also, I'm not as familiar with the effect of different ROMs on battery life when compared to Kernel and Scheduler setup.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Solutions?

Thanks!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running cm10.0.0 stock kernel and digging it. The most stable jb aokp for me was m3.

My ultimate fav ROM so far has been rasbeanjelly with air kernel noop I/o, lulzactive governor (I tweaked its settings but can't remember what was best, will try to figure it out if you like).

Edit: twrp never seemed very stable to me, I honestly prefer a modified cwm5 as my everyday recovery. And of course POC is coming together nicely :D

Have you figured out the whole fastboot thing yet?

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Edit: M3? But... AOKP is only at M1 for JB! He's a witch! Now, back to the original text...

Depends on what you mean by "The whole fastboot thing." It's an interesting addition, and I've heard you can flash directly from it, though I haven't tried it yet.

I am currently using TWRP, mostly because the fully stable POC recovery isn't released yet, and having just purchased the phone, loading a Beta recovery seemed... it just didn't seem like the right thing to do. LOL Also, TWRP working with goo.im is pretty fly.

So, how is Rasbean/Air/Noop/Lulz for battery life? If there's something that's gonna kill me, it's battery life. I don't need a ton of battery, but I'd like to be able to listen to music on my way to work without having to keep a cable in my pocket.

Last edited:

koeylondon

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Update: As of last night, I was seeing less than 2% drain per hour on standby, and getting decent battery life today playing music through the speaker. Not great, but decent.

I'm gonna try Codename(Android). Not sure what their default kernel is, but I may also sideload AirKernel. It does seem that the default kernel supports Voodoo and has Lulzactive, though.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
For your battery, after your past device battery drain will be high. But it is manageable certainly. Honestly, disable google now (from its settings menu) and freeze maps (with titanium backup when not in use) to start with. Use wifi when every you can (I always make sure wifi is set to always and disable the "ignore weak signal" option in the wifi settings menu. Follow that and your biggest drain should be your screen on time. This is the big killer. Disable auto brightness and keep the screen as dim as possible to your use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae