Can I root w/o a computer?

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If so how? Cause I have a Mac and I'm lost. I don't need custom ROMS or anything. Just want root and superuser access for a few apps.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

jtfishbein

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Wasn't difficult. Did it on Saturday right after I got the phone. If you've any questions PM me. It is fairly simple. I also only did it for SU access.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No. I don't even own a MAC, nor have ever touched one, but good luck.

1. Download Android SDK from Android SDK for Intel Macs. This will download a .zip file to your default download directory this is more or less going to be ?downloads.?
2. Unzip the package to the desktop and rename it to something easy like ?Android.?
NOTE:Some MAC's may already have the JDK.
3. Download THIS .IMG file and move it to the (Android>Tools) folder that you placed on your desktop in step 2. Don't open the .IMG file, don't rename it, dont do anything but download and move it.

I did everything up to here fine

4. Download THIS .ZIP and place it on the root of your internal storage (SD Card)

This is where Im having the problem, I can't find the root folder on my Mac, when I connect my Nexus, its on USB debbugging and so I just placed it in my Android Downloads and tried to copy it with ES File Manager and it didn't work so now Im stuck here. Any way to get that Zip to my root folder, and should I unzip it then place it in, or don't unzip it?

5. Open the ?Android? folder (again, from step 2) and right click on the folder named ?tools? then select ?get info?.
6. Then you will copy the file location, you need the location when you are going to use the Terminal to Root your device.
7. Next you will connect your NS4G to your Mac?ignore & cancel the network setup notification that pops up (if it pops up).
8. Put the NS4G in fastboot mode (with phone off, Volume up + Power)
9. On your Mac go to Applications>Utilities>Terminal
10. Now? in the Terminal PASTE the folder location you copied in step 6
EX: /Users/Michael/Desktop/android_mac/tools

NOTE: You HAVE to add the where the tools are located ie: /tools

You should end up with something like: /Users/Michael/Desktop/android_mac/tools

Now in terminal .....
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img[/code[/QUOTE]

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Root (SD card): The base folder (or top level) of the card. Often referred to as /sdcard in a file structure.

Its not a folder called "root", its the top level in the file structure. Aka, put it on the SD card, not in a folder

Reactions: Beezzy

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
10. Now… in the Terminal PASTE the folder location you copied in step 6
EX: /Users/Michael/Desktop/android_mac/tools

NOTE: You HAVE to add the where the tools are located ie: /tools

You should end up with something like: /Users/Michael/Desktop/android_mac/tools

Now in terminal .....
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img

Do I hit enter in terminal then enter the fastboot oem lock line? or all together?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
fastboot oem unlock [press enter]
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img [press enter]

I accidentally deleted my post with the instructions lol. Guess thats what i get for editing a long post on my phone. Oh well.

Reactions: Beezzy

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
No. I don't even own a MAC, nor have ever touched one, but good luck.

1. Download Android SDK from Android SDK for Intel Macs. This will download a .zip file to your default download directory this is more or less going to be

This is what I did and got? IDk if I did it right, Im sorry if I keep bugging you on this. You've been extremely helpful to me man!

Code:
Last login: Wed May 11 19:43:48 on ttys000
Basil-Mahmuds-MacBook-Pro:~ bmahmud88$ /Users/bmahmud88/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools
-bash: /Users/bmahmud88/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools: is a directory
Basil-Mahmuds-MacBook-Pro:~ bmahmud88$ fastboot oem unlock
-bash: fastboot: command not found
Basil-Mahmuds-MacBook-Pro:~ bmahmud88$ fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
-bash: fastboot: command not found
Basil-Mahmuds-MacBook-Pro:~ bmahmud88$

cr48

May 8, 2011
Visit site
ah! I am just getting "command not found" D:

inmr

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
unfortunately i cant help you guys. As i said before not only do i not own a mac, I've never touched a mac in my life.

Probably has to do with fastboot if i had to guess. You probably need the fastboot binary. just guessing though.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Last guess ... once your in terminal, in the tools directory, try typing "./adb" (minus the quotes) [press enter] now try fastboot oem unlock