1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Default What is available after rooting?

Well, I've had the Nexus S for about a week now and I am finally getting it set up to my specs. Thank you very much to everyone participating here. I have used a lot of app suggestions.

Anyways, I am thinking about jumping into rooting the Nexus (why I got a Nexus, right?). I really do not feel the need to root though as there are so many options available in the market. Coming from a Pre with Preware I am shocked that I havent rooted yet, but I just dont know whats in it for me.

Can anyone tell me what is available after rooting? Sell me.

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

custom roms, things that are not available with no root

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

well i rooted for the purpose of free wifi tether and titanium backup

Quote Originally Posted by vertigosrs View Post
    well i rooted for the purpose of free wifi tether and titanium backup
    I have z4 root on my Evo for those 2 reasons. Temporary root is very easy and can do both of those. Can I use the temporary z4 root on the Nexus S? I am debating whether or not to get it. Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    ROM
    Miui/Pete's Kernel

No you can't use z4root, but thats a good thing. With our phone you don't actually have to exploit a root, all you gotta do is unlock the bootloader, flash clockwork recovery, install superuser and you're done. Literally takes a few mins and you can run root apps with no problem!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kalex1114 View Post
    custom roms, things that are not available with no root
    FYI, this is exactly what I am not looking for. I have heard of ROMs before. Your post is actually quite rediculous.

What features are available in ROMs? You dont have to list all, just your favorites. I see many people listing off apps. It would be helpful if you gave a short sentence about what it offers differently than a stock device.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subnaiyo View Post
    FYI, this is exactly what I am not looking for. I have heard of ROMs before. Your post is actually quite rediculous.

What features are available in ROMs? You dont have to list all, just your favorites. I see many people listing off apps. It would be helpful if you gave a short sentence about what it offers differently than a stock device.
    What is it that you are looking for in a rom? Root gives us the ability to customize everything so if your looking for particulars then I would do a search on Google, check out xda developers or read a little around here.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by subnaiyo View Post

ridiculous questions get ridiculous answers. Your questions are very broad and I can write a thesis about what's available in ROMS. Another suggestions is to go to xda-developers and read first post in every ROM thread. Those usually have changelog in them. That tells you whats available and whats been modded in the ROM.

as an example I just installed a modified battery icon that shows u numbers instead of just battery icon

Global Posts
    712 Global Posts

I personally sold myself on rooting by researching all the things available. Looking around on the forums and on XDA and seeing all the things others were doing on their phones that I was unable to do on my unrooted HTC Hero (back in the day, lol)...I rooted that baby and 3 Android phones later I continue to root and customize. The options are endless. I can honestly say that this early rooting on the Nexus serves no purpose aside from wireless tether and Titanium Backup as the custom ROM options dont really offer much as of yet. The Nexus runs wonderfully on stock. I flashed a custom kernal and OC'ed to turn my phone into a pure beast though. Very much worth it for that alone.

But I say do some research of your own...read around. I never understood the point of these threads...I guess its just because I poked around on my own to form an opinion...

Isn't the wireless tethering already avail w/o root? Am I missing something here?

I rooted to flash a custom kernel. Not as many custom roms for the ns4g yet as I've hoped, but I guess cm7 nightlies would do for now.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    725 Global Posts
    ROM
    Original 2.3.4

Yes built in hotspot is available. But it doesn't' work on 4g. wireless tether allows u to tether over 4G