my nexus s is bricked and wont recognize the usb is plugged in

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I initially was rooted oc'd and ruuning netarchy's rom but my phone was acting knid of buggy so i thought i'd redo everything from scratch. I screwed up tho. I formatted the the sd card, cache, system, boot in order to clear out all data. Now i cant get past the fastboot menu. I do still have cwma 3.1.0.1 however. Someone please help. Again, windows is not recognizing my phone at all. I reinstalled android sdk and google usb drivers and still nothing. :':)':)':)':)':)'(

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ooops...

So you formatted system. You didn't brick. You can still get to the bootloader and recovery, you just do not have an OS on the phone.

Check out buglessPete's post over on xda. He posted stock odex and deodex roms, that you can flash, also original images. See here.
Have you tried mounting usb storage through 'mounts and storage' in the recovery? That requires a different driver than the one needed for fastboot.

If you can, transfer over the rom of your choice, or get all the correct drivers for your pc OS and phone combination.

Reactions: arrogant437

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about that, I see where some people say things about it being patched for 2.3, but nothing specifically for 2.3.4. But I am going to leave that one alone anyways.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Here is a silly question, I reformatted by system trying to unlock it, use something different from attached xda to "unbrick" my phone when I did this. I actually used the Odin method with GR22 roms, tars, etc via yellow triangle method.

My problem is I can NOT root my phone. I ended up using an inappropriate method (GSM) which erased everything. I have tried every method, downloaded various programs, uploaded to computer, etc. I cannot make those methods worked and I have spent enough hours to equal days.

I can NOT get thru on cmd into anything, I do not have clockwork installed, so I can only boot into blue recovery which shows no "install zip from SD" where I have placed su

Would it work if I used Odin and loaded the GRJ22Deodexed rom onto my phone. Would this be a "one click" root or screw something up that I do not want to fix???

I used to feel competent, can do anything with the Epic, but xda is over my head since I'm never sure which phone they are talking about (learned the hard way), and I'm not that techie, I just read and follow directions - have learned enough to fix my Nexus - Sprint Repair Center won't touch, won't cover under TEP since its unlocked but now I can't do anything with it!!

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
if you have adb and sdk tools installed go to this link.
[NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers
If not re-download and install SDK tools here. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (dont forget java JDK if u dont have it)
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u25-download-346242.html
Delete all previous versions of SDK tools
you'll need to relock the phone, unlock and root again per the instructions in this post. If you dont have an OS (which you probably dont since you formatted the system partition) Download any of these GRJ22 files as a base OS. Choose a rooted one tho. As long as you have ADB, and your phone recognizes the usb connection you'll be fine. I did the same thing yesterday. Reread the previous page if you you need additional help. You are talking about the Nexus S 4G right?

Last edited:
Reactions: nmoreman

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
arrogant437,
I had read this thread at xda earlier, and it seems like it should work, but whatever I have done, it doesn't.
I used the same program shabbypenguin has out here, a Samsung Simple DL for 720. With Odin, it got it up and running, back on GR22 with the Binary.

However, when I try to use cmd to go to adb, bootloaders, or anything else, all it get is adb not recognized, file, batches, etc. Cannot get thru this. I took a minute, tried his directions and got same results.

You said relock, I don't think I can get there either, that is why I wondered if I could just use one of the rooted roms, but I guessed that was a bad idea.

One of his directions said delete old sdk, I had already tried that, reloaded Samsung drivers (a pain) had dll problems, coped and moved files into Tools/Platform Tools, beat on cmd with directions, I was tired of it, and leary since I don't know what I'm doing. But at least I'm up and running, and that is goodl.

So I'm unlocked but can't move forward - I'm going out of town for weekend, so will read info that comes up and try again next week. I will watch this and other threads, might try redownloading again on my laptop and just start over. It cannot be that hard, that is what makes me so frustrated!!

arrogant437

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The way I get adb working is: After downloading the SDK and the installer asks where u want to save the file to, delete everything thats highlighted and just put c:\android . this way u don't have to worry about the android-sdk path variable when using cmd. After SDK is installed, open the c:\android directory. You'll see add-ons,extras,platforms,platform tools etc......What you want to is open the contents of the tools folder and copy the fastboot folder ONLY into platform-tools. (this way you have adb,fastboot, and the dll libraries you need) you can also copy the entire contents of the tools folder if you like ,just ignore the duplicate files when copying.(do not copy the tools folder itself by name) Don't forget to install the relevant android platforms you need,(2.3). In CMD, youre path variable would simply be, cd c:\android\platform-tools.
IMPORTANT: Before you open a CMD window, make sure u open (double-click) the SDK Manager program from your start menu or desktop to get ADB running. If your computer wont open the SDK Manager application, make a new user profile and open it from there. Also, be sure to put whatever file that you want to "push" in ADB, into the platform-tools folder as well. In this case, copy the, recovery-clockwork-3.1.0.1-crespo4g.img file into platform-tools to get your custom recovery. Then follow the steps from the earlier stated posts.

Last edited:

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I thank you for your help. Here is what I have done. Deleted and reinstalled sdk, all drivers updated, phone is recognized as adb device.
Copied and checked to be sure platform-tools has adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and clockwork respo.
Java is good
Path is c: android-sdk-windows\platform-tools, I even put just c: platform-tools under c.

Added new user as admn just in case.

Go to cmd, type cd, enter, c: \android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\, goes to prompt

type adb reboot bootloader

Get not recognized as valid command, etc.

Tried gong direct thru c: platform-tools same thing

phone is plugged, in fastboot mode

I am SO stuck and frustrated - don't know what else to do. Don't know if using Odin and Samsung files screwed up something.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Dev Phone

I thank you for your help. Here is what I have done. Deleted and reinstalled sdk, all drivers updated, phone is recognized as adb device.
Copied and checked to be sure platform-tools has adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and clockwork respo.
Java is good
Path is c: android-sdk-windows\platform-tools, I even put just c: platform-tools under c.

Added new user as admn just in case.

Go to cmd, type cd, enter, c: \android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\, goes to prompt

type adb reboot bootloader

Get not recognized as valid command, etc.

Tried gong direct thru c: platform-tools same thing

phone is plugged, in fastboot mode

I am SO stuck and frustrated - don't know what else to do. Don't know if using Odin and Samsung files screwed up something.

All you need with this phone to fix almost anything is the correct drivers, fastboot, and adb. There are I think three drivers that are needed, but one Windows will probably already have, because the one for fastboot is different than the one that allows adb to recognize it.

If you can go to the directory where adb.exe and fastboot.exe are located, and use a command prompt and get adb devices and fastboot devices(when in fastboot) to give you your serial number, your golden.

If you get to this point, refer to the xda post by buglessPete. You can fastboot a recovery, fastboot system, etc. If you are still stuck PM me with a number I can reach you at, I'll help you out.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I just want to say THANK YOU - I am rooted!!!!!!!!! I found another post on xda - [GUIDE] Nexus S 4G Simple Root/Unroot - xda-developers. so between your help, that post, and my last week working and reading, I got it accomplished!!

I set up new user on computer and started over - I found that I had used the cmd on Windows button vs starting the cmd in Tools, might have been the problem. When I saw how fast it worked, I could kick myself in the a-s, but so complicated to get there.

I know it will get easier, so wanted to say thank you and laugh, you started out with a question needing help, then ended up answering mine and helping me.

That is what I like about this forum - xda is good but so techie - here people learn and help others, so we all get better and can pay back.

Thank you

hi-tech34

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: my nexus s is bricked and wont recognize the usb is plugged i

I am having the same issue although the phone did work for about a month and now all of a sudden nothing! I have a seidio desktop charger so I plug it in every day and I did see that screen every time and I used to hear a tone when I plugged it in and took it off but now nothing. I talked to Sprint and samsung and ther ewas no real help but Sprint said there is a known issue of this happening and there is no fix yet. They do not know if it is a hardware, software or computer issue. I did try another computer and when it pligs in it searched for a driver and tells me that the usb device is malfunctioning and to replace it?

lucas710

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Hi I did something stupid, I did a factory data reset and usb storage erase on my Samsung Nexus S 4G. I lost all my recovery and zip files. I can access bootloader and twrp but have no way to flash a new zip. When i plug my phone into my pc nothing happens. This has happened to my HTC Evo 3D but all I did was take the sd card out, but with this Nexus there is no SD card. So how can I push a file to my Nexus from my PC?

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

Are you saying you have no operating system at all? I have been off this forum for quite awhile, went with Apple (jailbroken and loving it), so received
this for some unknown reason.
I haven't kept up with anything, but when I got my phone and was trying to root, I somehow erased the entire operating system on it - it was empty! I don't know if this is your issue, but if some, there are Samsung files, I looked and haven't kept them, but I think they were named 710. This can be downloaded
and puts the entire operating system back on it. It will probably be at 2..0.1, haha, but you can at least have an os.

If this is not the case, sorry I jumped in, have not kept up on this phone - loved it, best Android phone I have had - kids have newer ones and never worked
as well as this one.

If this is what you need, google something like 710 Samsung files, maybe their site might have the download, or look on xda. Good luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol