Noob Question: Does changing Rom mean wiping out your phone data?

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Rooting on Android is very new to me. I want to start experimenting and putting atleast the better kernel on my phone (netarchy) but does this mean I have to redo all my apps and all my settings on my phone? Do I have to wipe everything on my internal storage. I probably assume I can atleast keep the data thats on my SDCARD.

Can anyone give me some insight into this?

Thank you very much.

Ryan Roland

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey I don't know what you've done so far but after you root it usually gives you a fresh rom and you have to redownload and organize your screens. Then when you flash different kernals it usually doesn't require wipe but you should follow all instructions from the provider or forum. If you use rom manager there is an easy way to backup your current rom and setup then if something isn't right with your new rom u can restore back to your other setup. I had a similar question that nobody answered so had to just take the jump and do it.

If I missed something please correct me

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Noon Question: Does changing Rom mean wiping out your phone d

Hey I don't know what you've done so far but after you root it usually gives you a fresh rom and you have to redownload and organize your screens. Then when you flash different kernals it usually doesn't require wipe but you should follow all instructions from the provider or forum. If you use rom manager there is an easy way to backup your current rom and setup then if something isn't right with your new rom u can restore back to your other setup. I had a similar question that nobody answered so had to just take the jump and do it.

If I missed something please correct me

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
cool thanks. Its just i see people updating roms one to 3 times a week and i don't know about you, but I wiped my phone 3 times and it was a pain to get manage all my settings exactly how I liked it.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Look into Titanium Backup or similar. That can back up all the apps, and the pro version can re-install apps in batch.

As far as wiping data, you shouldn't have to, if the OS version does not change. Like if you were jumping from kush deck's 2.3.4 to CM 7.1 RC1, just wipe system and cache, and then flash the rom. They are both based off of AOSP 2.3.4

This keeps you from having to re-install apps or re-enter credentials.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Look into Titanium Backup or similar. That can back up all the apps, and the pro version can re-install apps in batch.

As far as wiping data, you shouldn't have to, if the OS version does not change. Like if you were jumping from kush deck's 2.3.4 to CM 7.1 RC1, just wipe system and cache, and then flash the rom. They are both based off of AOSP 2.3.4

Thank you for the response. I will look up more information.

I want to try this CM7 but I don't want that ADW launcher. I like the stock look. So all I want to do is update my kernel.

vertigosrs

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for the response. I will look up more information.

I want to try this CM7 but I don't want that ADW launcher. I like the stock look. So all I want to do is update my kernel.
You could always try the Deck rom. Its based off of CM but doesn't have the launcher and stays with the stock look. Also don't forget to do a nandroid backup along with your other backups.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Noob Question: Does changing Rom mean wiping out your phone d

Do you know whats the benefit of CM7 vs deckrom? Are there any battery savings features found on one rom over the other?

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

I disagree. If jumping into MIUI's new roms that have fixed bugs from prior releases you want to WIPE EVERYTHING then start fresh. Why would you restore possible bugs from a previous release? Restoring contacts, apps, sure, but I have performed every single rom flash on every single Android device (11 last time I counted) off a fresh install.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae