What exactly is the point of rooting the NS4G?

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It's already vanilla android, so there's no need to use a ROM. The hotspot is free, no Sprint fee required. It's already super quick thanks to being bloat free, so why root it? Will it improve the signal or anything?

Only reason I saw was for an app to force it to connect to a stronger signal if in a low signal area.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Other than titan backup, why would you need to do so? Even if I used titan on my NS4G, wouldn't I need to root my future device to get my data?

Johnbibbs

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It's already vanilla android, so there's no need to use a ROM. The hotspot is free, no Sprint fee required. It's already super quick thanks to being bloat free, so why root it? Will it improve the signal or anything?

Only reason I saw was for an app to force it to connect to a stronger signal if in a low signal area.

Lots of apps require root.

I'm on vacation and I'm using Roam Control now. I use refrsh daily to reboot my phone before I wake up.

Loads of uses.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Johnbibbs

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I heard about the reboot one and what does roam control do?

It forces your phone to roam. I'm in the Outer Banks and Sprint coverage isn't great so I'm forcing NY phone over to Verizon.

-John
Sent from somewhere using something.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Even though the NS4G is stock Android some still like to put custom roms on it. In my case I prefer CM7 over stock just because of the additional tweaks that are possible. There are also other roms out there for the NS4G that look nothing like stock, MIUI for instance and some prefer those.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You can flash a sense rom, miui, and CyanogenMod which is heavily modified vanilla Android that is. A LOT better than stock.
Voodoo sound control/super amoled control to improve sound and customly tone your screen vividness and colors.
Kernels to undervolt, under clock, over clock too 1.4ghz, which makes 24hr battery life possible if you're smart (I get 18hrs average with moderate/common use).
Nandroid backups of your full system.

Besides tons of root apps, just search root apps in the market, it keeps your phone fun and interesting.

In other words, if you think you can handle it. Do it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
:p I think I'm going to since breaking the Pre and customizing to high end was awesome.

I assume the Voodoo sound control can increase the volume of the phone?

Can the Z4 root still be useable to root a NS4G or is the semi-one step process here on these boards good enough?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I tried to go back to stock after running cm7 since getting the NS4G...yeah that lasted about 3 hrs...
stock is SLOW...CM7 even at stock speeds is so much snappier.

Shabbypenguin

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
:( i make a nice easy tool for everyone and no one uses it....

the one click is designed to get you rooted, if i have the spare time ill work on adding in busybox as well as making cwm stick, but between the 2 roms i maintain.. the battery tweak for the ns4g... spare time doesnt come easy ;P

Reactions: 1joejoe

bamhm182

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go with root-only/root-improved apps. They're nice. You can also highly customize the OS, which brings a lot of neat things. Overall, I think it's not like the iOS, where I refuse to use it unjailbroken, but it does add a bit of "oooooh" to it.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Shabby,
I used it twice :D and have highly recommended it to others on various forums. I know I had a fit the first time with drivers, files in wrong places, etc.,, and just used the other day for my daughter. So I appreciate it and know you are busy.
And having come from the Epic and your roms/programs, I won't use other roms without the highly respected names, such as yours, that offers fully running programs when published with support!! Still have two Epics on ACS

1joejoe

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
:( i make a nice easy tool for everyone and no one uses it....

the one click is designed to get you rooted, if i have the spare time ill work on adding in busybox as well as making cwm stick, but between the 2 roms i maintain.. the battery tweak for the ns4g... spare time doesnt come easy ;P
I used it. Love it and will donate once I figure out where or how.

BTW: What roms do you maintain and battery tweaks? I'm brand new to android and am greener than the color itself. Came from a Palm Pre that was regretfully dying. Hope to get back there "IF" HP ever gets it together. Until then..........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers