Low mic volume during calls?

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nexus S for a couple of weeks now, and I keep getting complaints that it's hard to hear what I'm saying during calls. I've recorded some audio thru one of the free voice recorders and it sounded great. Still, I have to frequently repeat myself during calls. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm still within my 30 day exchange window with best buy if I have a defective phone

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I get same complaints. I think may be just where I'm holding the microphone to my mouth, and win the proximity sensor activates.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to make a call or two tomorrow to see if it's just the way I hold the phone. I was used to the Pre, holding the phone at an angle to keep the mic uncovered. The Nexus S microphone is aimed past the mouth. I don't think I had problems while using my bluetooth. hmmm.

i'll update later.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Are they asking you to speak louder because they can't hear you or are they asking you to repeat yourself because it's scrambled/distorted?

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It was a speak louder for me. I also had a pre, and held it at an angle from my face.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
i accidentally recorded a call with my dad (thanks gvoice), and yeah, the volume on my end was very quiet. it wasn't breaking up or distorted, just quiet. if this is a common problem, my guess is that it's a software issue. since i rooted the phone, i guess there's not much of a chance that i can return it and exchange for a replacement anyway. since i repair phones all day, i'm going to go ahead and open it up and see if anything is funky inside.

i attached the recording so anyone can hear the problem.

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
you can unroot your phone to return it.

no point in wasting your warranty if unnecessary.
strangely, i've noticed that this phone and the Vibrant do not have void stickers on any of the screws. quiet diy gesture from Samsung? perhaps.

after opening the phone, i didn't find any problems with the mic housing. i reassembled the phone and used the Hi-Q MP3 recorder to test the mic again. everything sounds fine on the recordings with the app, but it seems like the problem is only happening during phone calls. maybe there are some hidden settings that can be changed.

Last edited:

JonBryant

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Any more info on this? Having the same issue. tested with my girlfriends shift and the difference is HUGE in volume! I can't even hear her when shes on mine but it hurts my ear with she talks through hers.

ilongbored

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem on the newer nightlies. I had to turn off hi-fi recording in Device Settings -> Sound -> Hi-Fi. If you don't have "Device Settings", the I don't know.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

ilongbored

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I meant to add that u was using CyanogenMod. Forgot what forum I was in. If you're running stock rooted, I have no idea.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol