Anyone missing HTC Sense after switching to NS4G?

reneeh63

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching from the EVO 4G to the Nexus S 4G ( idn why, but I feel a little guilty even saying that!). The idea of 3D doesn't impress me on the EVO side but I'm worried I might not like the stock UI on the NS4G. Can anyone else share?

If I do miss the Sense UI after switching can I just root the NS4G?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I just made the same move, for the same reason, but my EVO was rooted and running CM7, so I didn't have sense anyway. I grew tired of sense a long time ago. The NS4G blows away the EVO, and as of right now, is faster than the 3D. I don't miss sense one bit, but there is a bit of an adjustment period. If you miss sense that much, you can go with a custom launcher that can mimic some of the features of sense.

LuckyLucky

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Cool - thanks guys!...I feel myself inching closer...haha.

I think I'm going to do an exchange to the Nexus tomorrow (from a 3D) because of the battery life and the size. Sense is the one thing I will miss.

Seriously, you should consider the 3D. The 3D part is entirely optional and the phone is quite speedy. I'm *only* considering the Nexus because of the size (I find the 4.3 inch screen to be too big) and the battery life isn't what I'd like it to be. If I could have the Evo 3D's hardware in the Nexus' size + battery life+ attractiveness (which is the least important factor,but it kind of matters), I wouldn't think twice about keeping my 3D.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to do an exchange to the Nexus tomorrow (from a 3D) because of the battery life and the size. Sense is the one thing I will miss.

Seriously, you should consider the 3D. The 3D part is entirely optional and the phone is quite speedy. I'm *only* considering the Nexus because of the size (I find the 4.3 inch screen to be too big) and the battery life isn't what I'd like it to be. If I could have the Evo 3D's hardware in the Nexus' size + battery life+ attractiveness (which is the least important factor,but it kind of matters), I wouldn't think twice about keeping my 3D.

As of right now, in regular, every day usage, the Nexus S is actually a touch faster than the 3D. You won't be disappointed.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
As of right now, in regular, every day usage, the Nexus S is actually a touch faster than the 3D. You won't be disappointed.

The nexus does load some apps quicker, but the 3d is a much smoother device. I was able to bog down my nexus listening to espn radio, and facebooking. With the 3d, it doesnt slow down period. Multitasking is much better. Also remember how loaded down sense is, compared to plain gingerbread on the nexus. Once cm7 comes to the evo 3d, its a solid bet that the evo will outperform it all over the board, not to mention when icecream sandwhich comes, and optimizes use for dual core..

With that said,the nexus is a good phone, and if someone didnt want dual core, then its the device to have at sprint.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The nexus does load some apps quicker, but the 3d is a much smoother device. I was able to bog down my nexus listening to espn radio, and facebooking. With the 3d, it doesnt slow down period. Multitasking is much better. Also remember how loaded down sense is, compared to plain gingerbread on the nexus. Once cm7 comes to the evo 3d, its a solid bet that the evo will outperform it all over the board.

Remember that RAM is the reason the 3D can take more apps running. Cause the dual-core is barely being utilized. Since Android does not support dual-core threading or functionality yet.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

As someone who owns and uses both....this is incorrect. The 3D is the faster device in everyday use. Apps load quicker all around.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
As someone who owns and uses both....this is incorrect. The 3D is the faster device in everyday use. Apps load quicker all around.

Hmm, I have seen quite a few reviews/videos where the Nexus surprisingly beats out the Evo 3d in loading web pages and m?ny applications - though games may be another story.

Last edited:

Thrasherx2k1

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I have seen quite a few reviews/videos where the Nexus surprisingly beats out the Evo 3d in loading web pages and m?ny applications - though games may be another story.

Games def run better on the NS4G... Was extremely disappointed in the Evo 3D's gaming performance. Frame rates on some games are just downright pathetic... Don't care if the games are utilized for that specific phone or not. I have never owned a phone before where I had to wait for games to run better over time. So glad I kept the Nexus after all and o yeah I DON"T MISS SENSE!

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I will actually be retiring my Droid Incredible on Thursday (that is when I will receive my Nexus S 4G in the mail)......

No bloatware & a completely vanilla Gingerbread experience are the two biggest factors in the change. I wont miss Sense one bit.....

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The nexus does load some apps quicker, but the 3d is a much smoother device. I was able to bog down my nexus listening to espn radio, and facebooking. With the 3d, it doesnt slow down period. Multitasking is much better. Also remember how loaded down sense is, compared to plain gingerbread on the nexus. Once cm7 comes to the evo 3d, its a solid bet that the evo will outperform it all over the board, not to mention when icecream sandwhich comes, and optimizes use for dual core..

With that said,the nexus is a good phone, and if someone didnt want dual core, then its the device to have at sprint.

I agree that once CM7 is on the 3D it will be crazy fast, but at the moment, I'll still take the NS4G. I think it's the better phone right now. I haven't had any problems with bogging at all. My other thing is that by the time ICS is here, THe 3D will be the aging tech and there will be something better out. Just like how last year, when the EVO, came out, they were already talking about the hummingbird, this year they are already talking about better processors than the dual core snapdragon.

Me, I'm done with HTC until they make a nice looking/feeling phone on Sprint. Where's out aluminum bodied phone? I'm sick of the plastic slab. The NS4G is so much more refined, and nicer to hold. I find it amusing people get on Samsung for plastic phones, when that's all we've seen from HTC for a while

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I miss only two things from Sense (the Sense that I got to know from when I tested the EVO 4G for a month): the calendar app is much more pleasing to look at; and although I LOVE the Android Gingerbread stock keyboard on the NS4G, it's lacking the Portuguese language dictionary that HTC's IME keyboard has. So I downloaded the HTC keyboard to use whenever I'm typing in Portuguese.

All this said, I don't know what Sense 3.0 is like, though from what I've read, there are certain features that'd be awesome to have on my NS4G; for example, Sense's way of increasing volume or the vibrate when it detects that it's in a pocket and might not be heard as well. There's no doubt that Sense offers many user-friendly features, but I can't say that I miss it.

Assuming the update that was supposed to be pushed out yesterday resolves WiFi-connectivity strength, signal issues (particular with staying connected to 4G), speaker phone issues, and for the love of GOD, increases the sound volume for ringtones and notifications, I will be perfectly content with my NS4G.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers