Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on no?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on

I don't use it myself, but I've seen others report that it no longer works with unrooted stock after the update unless you subscribe to the tethering/hotspot service.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Wow. That pisses me off. This is a "Pure Google" phone and supposedly a flagship, developer device. Google wrote the code for the update and hosted it. Sucks that they've actually done this themselves.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Wow. That pisses me off. This is a "Pure Google" phone and supposedly a flagship, developer device. Google wrote the code for the update and hosted it. Sucks that they've actually done this themselves.

What does the fact that this is a Pure Google phone have to do with anything? So if Google releases its next software and in that code they baked an app which allows for free calling and web we should get that free as well? Just because its a Google phone doesn't mean you get to use the CARRIERS internet for free. Sprint still powers the device. It makes no sense to be upset.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I agree.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

What does the fact that this is a Pure Google phone have to do with anything? So if Google releases its next software and in that code they baked an app which allows for free calling and web we should get that free as well? Just because its a Google phone doesn't mean you get to use the CARRIERS internet for free. Sprint still powers the device. It makes no sense to be upset.

Your example does not make sense, unless the phone was advertised as coming with free calling etc. The Nexus was advertised as pure Google, which entails free tethering. This was a main reason for many of us for purchasing this phone. Now this update takes away a major feature - of course, many of us are upset.

Last edited:

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Google never promised free tethering, not even once. In fact, they warned that this would happen.

"Portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet.*

*Additional fees may apply based on carrier policy."

Nexus S ?€“ The new Android phone from Google

Tethering exists as a part of the "pure Google experience", not that you can use it for free. Quis' response makes 100% sense.

Johnbibbs

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back to CM7 and will just flash the new radio. I'm not paying Sprint twice for my data services when free tethering was one of the selling points Sprint specifically mentioned. They can pound sand.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Google never promised free tethering, not even once. In fact, they warned that this would happen.

"Portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet.*

*Additional fees may apply based on carrier policy."

Nexus S ?€“ The new Android phone from Google

Tethering exists as a part of the "pure Google experience", not that you can use it for free. Quis' response makes 100% sense.
Lol, no it did not make sense and it still makes no sense now. You quoted:
*Additional fees may apply based on carrier policy.
Lol, that is saying that depending on your carrier, fees may apply, such as when you go over your usage on some carriers. Bah, still very dissapointed.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site

Lol, no it did not make sense and it still makes no sense now. You quoted: Lol, that is saying that depending on your carrier, fees may apply, such as when you go over your usage on some carriers. Bah, still very dissapointed.

No, actually it did. People expect tethering to be free just because it happened to be free when the phone released. That clearly was not going to be forever and is NOT a part of a "pure Google experience". Google isn't stupid, they know carriers aren't going to give you free tethering considering what people do with tethering now a days.

You should read the page that was linked. The asterisk only applies to the tethering section which means that tethering may or may not cause extra fees on your account. If this asterisk wasn't there and someone tried to tether and was charged, Then they could complain that Google never said that was happening and try to sue. It's called "Google is covering their ass".

Sprint is charging for tethering, not a big deal. Pay the $30 or don't.

No one is saying you can't be disappointed, but that doesn't change the facts. Tethering is a part of the Google experience and cannot be removed on the Nexus S, however, the act of using tethering will cost you.

I'm going back to CM7 and will just flash the new radio. I'm not paying Sprint twice for my data services when free tethering was one of the selling points Sprint specifically mentioned. They can pound sand.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Sounds like you should've done some research before you bought the phone so you knew what you'd be getting into.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-hotspot-will-still-cost-extra-nexus-s-4g-forums

Sprint never said that you'd get free tethering and nor did Google. It was always meant to be something you will pay for with Sprint.

Reactions: punchx

punchx

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Your example does not make sense, unless the phone was advertised as coming with free calling etc. The Nexus was advertised as pure Google, which entails free tethering. This was a main reason for many of us for purchasing this phone. Now this update takes away a major feature - of course, many of us are upset.

No, it doesn't. Why do people feel entitled to free tethering because this phone is "pure google"?? The carrier gets to decide this, since it's ummm their network.

Google includes the software sure, but it's not their network to dictate how the data is distributed. Wake up man.

punchx

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

I'm sorry but I never saw any Nexus S 4G promotional materials that promised free tethering. You must have read something the rest of us didn't?

Yes people, we were getting something for free for a few months that EVERY other person on Sprint with a smatphone has to pay for... party is over. Life sucks, wear a helmet.

punchx

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

No, actually it did. People expect tethering to be free just because it happened to be free when the phone released. That clearly was not going to be forever and is NOT a part of a "pure Google experience". Google isn't stupid, they know carriers aren't going to give you free tethering considering what people do with tethering now a days.

You should read the page that was linked. The asterisk only applies to the tethering section which means that tethering may or may not cause extra fees on your account. If this asterisk wasn't there and someone tried to tether and was charged, Then they could complain that Google never said that was happening and try to sue. It's called "Google is covering their ass".

No one is saying you can't be disappointed, but that doesn't change the facts. Tethering is a part of the Google experience and cannot be removed on the Nexus S, however, the act of using tethering will cost you.

Sounds like you should've done some research before you bought the phone so you knew what you'd be getting into.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-hotspot-will-still-cost-extra-nexus-s-4g-forums

Sprint never said that you'd get free tethering and nor did Google. It was always meant to be something you will pay for with Sprint.

Finally, someone injecting some common sense and facts into the conversation. Thank you sir.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

No, we are annoyed because isp's are not supposed to be able to charge you different amounts based on what you choose to do with the data connection, but that is what turning off tethering does. I pay for a certain gb of data a month and if i want to use that to load stuff on a phone screen or a computer screen, that should be my choice. If we let isp's determine that (and yes a carrier is an isp, that is why your phone has an ip address) then they can dictate what content you can view when you can view it and how and that is a dangerous situation.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry but I never saw any Nexus S 4G promotional materials that promised free tethering. You must have read something the rest of us didn't?

Yes people, we were getting something for free for a few months that EVERY other person on Sprint with a smatphone has to pay for... party is over. Life sucks, wear a helmet.

Hmm, I saw it too - at the Sprint store in Philadelphia; beneath the phone, features were listed, among those was free tethering.

punchx

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, I saw it too - at the Sprint store in Philadelphia; beneath the phone, features were listed, among those was free tethering.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this. The promo very well could have listed tethering as a feature, but I highly doubt it said free.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Well, then we'll have to agree to disagree for additional fees could equally be said to apply to data usages, not tethering specifically.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this. The promo very well could have listed tethering as a feature, but I highly doubt it said free.

Well whether or not you believe does not change the fact that it was there. For what it's worth, I am being truthful, it was there.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Screw it man. Just root it and use tethering anyway. this is one of the easiest phones on the planet to root anyway. Then you can get 4g tethering also

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyndall

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang