Free tether doesn't work after update. Does 4g PAID tether work?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I updated to the latest gingerbread update, and now free tether doesn't work. If I pay sprint the tether fee, will it at least work over 4g now?

Also, hate to say I told you so to those guys that said Sprint couldn't take free tether away, because this is a "pure google device". I hoped you would be right, but feared they could easily do what they have ended up doing.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Free tether doesn't work after update. Does 4g PAID tether wo

I updated to the latest gingerbread update, and now free tether doesn't work. If I pay sprint the tether fee, will it at least work over 4g now?

Also, hate to say I told you so to those guys that said Sprint couldn't take free tether away, because this is a "pure google device". I hoped you would be right, but feared they could easily do what they have ended up doing.

Sprint didn't take the feature away, they just had Google remove the coding for the tether to authenticate. Sprint did not touch or develop this software. Google did!

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I am not sure if I debated this issue with you or not, but I was definately on the side of this being a Google phone - now, I feel betrayed by Google and Sprint. Very upsetting.

In regards to your question, I cannot answer from personal experience, but it seems that if you are willing to pay such a steep fee, then you should be getting 4g service - lol, but I could be wrong.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Sprint didn't take the feature away, they just had Google remove the coding for the tether to authenticate. Sprint did not touch or develop this software. Google did!

Same dif, man. End result is the same. Free wireless tether no longer works after the google update.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I am not sure if I debated this issue with you or not, but I was definately on the side of this being a Google phone - now, I feel betrayed by Google and Sprint. Very upsetting.

In regards to your question, I cannot answer from personal experience, but it seems that if you are willing to pay such a steep fee, then you should be getting 4g service - lol, but I could be wrong.

It sucks. I paid the fee for a year with my Evo, but at least with that phone, I could tether with 4g. With the Nexus, yes- tether was free, but it didn't work over 4g. I'm hoping that at least if I have to pay for it now, it'll work over 4g.

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

Hmmm, since my phone hasn't had any of the reception problems that this update was supposed to fix, & reading alot of posts saying that this update is pretty much a joke, I think I'll ignore the update prompts & keep my free tethering.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

It sucks. I paid the fee for a year with my Evo, but at least with that phone, I could tether with 4g. With the Nexus, yes- tether was free, but it didn't work over 4g. I'm hoping that at least if I have to pay for it now, it'll work over 4g.

I am pretty sure it will - keep us posted.

zpithika

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay I just updated and checked and my tethering works still. Still turns on and everything. I checked it on my ipad and it came up in the wifi settings just like normal. I didn't actually connect since I'm in my basement and there isn't much signal but so far it looks like it's still working for me. I'll make another post when I actually test it out.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

zpithika

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So just tried it out and I was able to connect to my phone on my ipad but then when I go to a website it says it can't load because it's not connected to the internet. So I guess I was just being optimistic. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I would man, but am so scared that something may go wrong; do not want to lose my apps such as Google music beta, or contacts, etc.

Install an app called File Expert. From there you can back up all your apps as APKs, just remember to copy your USB onto your computer because the flashing of the recovery wipes the device. I went through the process last night since tether was taken away in the update. After 20 mins I had all my apps back up and running. Just look in the market for backup apps and try and back up as many settings as you can. If you are using a launcher it should be easy peasy. Plus Google music beta is in the market.

Reactions: Tenebrous

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

I can confirm adding the $29.99 hotspot to your plan then allows both 3G and 4G tethering. I added the option, waited about 1/2 hour and updated my profile on my phone. Then turned on tethering (3G) and it worked. Ran speed test, got about 0.7 down and 0.5 up (poor service in my office building). Then turned on 4G. Stayed connected with hotspot active. Ran speed test (still poor service, 1 bar) and got 4.5 down and about 0.8 up. So there you go.

supercluver

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Interesting, you can still use data on the phone while tethered and using data on the other device (I was using my Galaxy Tab 10.1 so you can be sure I wasn't using ad hoc).

Speed tests on both the phone and tablet were consistent with each other. Ran about 4 on each, a couple were simultaneous even. Was getting about 4 to 5 Mbps down and 1 to 1.2 Mbps up every time on both devices, regardless of them being simultaneous or one being on the download and the other being on the upload at the same time. (I moved to the other side of the office where the signal is a bit better).

gramamoose

May 14, 2011
Visit site

I would man, but am so scared that something may go wrong; do not want to lose my apps such as Google music beta, or contacts, etc.
I

Just fyi
I rooted and did not lose Google music. It took a while to reload my songs. I actually had to uninstall it and re-install it but it is working. . .
However, I have yet to receive the new update. I can't say that I need it either. I don't feel as though I have any reception issues. It sucks to hear that we lost free tether but being rooted I suppose I have it anyway. I rooted for the very reason to be able to tether 4G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz